2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Possible PCV failure after replacing Valve Cover.

12-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Cpo1986
Rep
Drives: F10 535ix

Possible PCV failure after replacing Valve Cover.

I just finished replacing my Valve cover and valve cover gaskets on my 535xi because I was getting the whining noise associated with high crankcase pressure forcing air out of my crank seals. After getting the car back together, I drove it close to 100 miles yesterday with no issues. This morning I was driving back home from work and when the car got up to operating temp. it threw a CEL, and when I arrived home and came to a stop the whining noise from the PCV came back. I pulled the codes using my JB4 interface and I got a code for a low pressure fuel sensor. Not sure if that has something to do with this issue, or it is totally separate. Something to note is that I did end up purchasing the aftermarket URO valve cover as I was sticker shocked by the $500 OEM one. So a few things I'm trying to figure out... Is there something else that could possibly cause the PCV to fail that quick or did I just get a defective part? Also, im wondering why it was fine all day yesterday and then this morning is when it started acting up... Very frustrating to say the least. Thanks in advance for any help that any one can provide!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
BMelchner
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i Xdrive MSport

Do you get any smell in the car? Gas smell maybe? Check the fuel rails to make sure they are installed 100% correct. If not, you'll get a small leak. The back rail was a drop off and that happened to me. Pulled it off, cleaned the area, reinstalled. All good now.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
Cpo1986
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMelchner View Post
Do you get any smell in the car? Gas smell maybe? Check the fuel rails to make sure they are installed 100% correct. If not, you'll get a small leak. The back rail was a drop off and that happened to me. Pulled it off, cleaned the area, reinstalled. All good now.
No, no funky smells. I'll have a look just in case. On a side note, I do have a JB4 installed and while I was putting everything back together, I decided to attach the fuel rail connector from the JB4 to the car. Also, would that somehow cause the issue with the PCV, or do you think the aftermarket URO valve cover I received was defective?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
neejay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport

Are you sure one of your seals aren't permanently damaged?

I was under the impression that if the PCV was damaged enough/long enough, that you could have damaged seals past a certain point.
      12-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Cpo1986
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neejay View Post
Are you sure one of your seals aren't permanently damaged?

I was under the impression that if the PCV was damaged enough/long enough, that you could have damaged seals past a certain point.
This is definitely a possibility, although I thought that the only reason pressure would come through the seals is if the pcv has failed. I've been keeping an eye on it and driving it the last few days and the whining noise has not come back yet strangely enough. I'll monitor it.
Appreciate 0