2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Problem with Car Access System

07-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Rick-F
Rep
Drives: 2014 535ix M-Sport

Problem with Car Access System

2014 F10 535iX

Yesterday I walked by the right (passenger in US) side of my car, and all the doors unlocked and the mirrors folded down. The real disturbing part was some relay in the Car Access System continued to activate/cycle . The sound seemed to be located just behind the fuel access door.

I pressed every button on the fob many times until the system stopped making the noise.

Today I tested the situation again: With the fob in my pocket I approached the right side from the front, when I got to the middle of the front door-- the doors unlocked and the mirrors unfolded. Approaching from the rear, when I got near the tail light, it happened again.

The fob seems to work fine-- locks & unlocks normally from a distance, The Comfort Access works fine from the driver's side (left).

I honestly don't mind the Proximity Unlock feature, but the CAS gets stuck in some sort of loop . . . and continues to activate what sounds like a relay. It's a fairly loud sound/clicking.

One other symptom that is probably related: When I get in and press the Start Button, I get the message that the car can't start because the fob is not in the car-- I can press the button again, and it starts fine.

Anyone have any ideas what can fix this?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-F View Post
2014 F10 535iX

Yesterday I walked by the right (passenger in US) side of my car, and all the doors unlocked and the mirrors folded down. The real disturbing part was some relay in the Car Access System continued to activate/cycle . The sound seemed to be located just behind the fuel access door.

I pressed every button on the fob many times until the system stopped making the noise.

Today I tested the situation again: With the fob in my pocket I approached the right side from the front, when I got to the middle of the front door-- the doors unlocked and the mirrors unfolded. Approaching from the rear, when I got near the tail light, it happened again.

The fob seems to work fine-- locks & unlocks normally from a distance, The Comfort Access works fine from the driver's side (left).

I honestly don't mind the Proximity Unlock feature, but the CAS gets stuck in some sort of loop . . . and continues to activate what sounds like a relay. It's a fairly loud sound/clicking.

One other symptom that is probably related: When I get in and press the Start Button, I get the message that the car can't start because the fob is not in the car-- I can press the button again, and it starts fine.

Did you try with your other spare key?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 11:01 PM   #3
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
The sound you're hearing behind the fuel access door is the lock/unlock actuator for the door lid. It only closes when the car is armed, and opens with unlock. I'd say try disconnecting that actuator first to see if it still happens with it unplugged.

If its still happening, it's one of your passenger side door handles that needs replacement.

In either case, the issue is not allowing the car to go into complete sleep state and it continues to cycle functions to figure out the issue and ends up slowly draining your battery, hence why you're having the hick up's with key recognition.

You know, it's very simple to figure out if you just had a ENET cable? I don't understand how one can own a F-chassis bimmer, be on this forum, and is not pulling hair when they don't have one at hand? lol
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-F View Post
2014 F10 535iX

I’m sorry so late but you need new door handles. Your passenger side comfort access door handles sensors are malfunctioning. Happened to me. Got it replaced under warranty at the dealer. They come painted and the parts department don’t have them in stock, special order which take about 2 weeks to come in.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Note that if you have ista+ or rheingold you can monitor the door handle and see which one is triggering itself without disassembling anything
Appreciate 0