2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications oil leaking and causing white smoke from muffler and funny smell from the a/c vent

05-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
LoveTheGameLikeMitch
Rep
Drives: F10 5 Series

oil leaking and causing white smoke from muffler and funny smell from the a/c vent

Below are two sets of issues, which I think are related, but maybe not. My knowledge is minimal so I was really hoping I would gather some good advice...

1) I noticed my car began with white smoke from the mufflers, (really bad when on idle) and then came the repetitive oil refills (usually 2 quarts every 500 miles), and there was always a funny pungent smell from the a/c vent (smells kind of like hennessey? lol).

2) I cannot accelerate at all really like I used to be able to. I have to accelerate VERY LIGHTLY and keep the RPM low around 1 to 1.5 OR else........ the car indicates a drive train malfunction and forces me to drive at a VERY low speed. It almost sounds like it is struggling or like it is stuttering. When this happens I also feel a slight vibrating from under the hood. Again this only happens when I accelerate too much (when it's not really that much at all anyways). So basically I'm forced to enter highway ramps at like 30 and get up to 60-70 mph at a really slow rate, as if I am some kind of senior citizen. So frustrating driving my Twin-Turbo like a mini-van smh.
What is the issue with this and what should I look at repairing? What would you say would be the ballpark cost for this if I go thru a private technician?

I heard i may need to replace valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket so far. I also heard one of my pistons (I think the first one?) is out.

Apparently the white smoke is a common problem in the F10 5 Series. My questions below :

1) Based on the signs that I have indicated, what are the mandatory, "must-have" repairs needed to fix this situation? And what will the cost typically be with a NON-dealership technician?

2) Did BMW issue or do any kind of recall on any of the above related issues? Are there any long term damage effects by my not having fixed this issue yet?

Thanks guys..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 01:10 AM   #2
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheGameLikeMitch View Post
Below are two sets of issues, which I think are related, but maybe not. My knowledge is minimal so I was really hoping I would gather some good advice...

1) I noticed my car began with white smoke from the mufflers, (really bad when on idle) and then came the repetitive oil refills (usually 2 quarts every 500 miles), and there was always a funny pungent smell from the a/c vent (smells kind of like hennessey? lol).

2) I cannot accelerate at all really like I used to be able to. I have to accelerate VERY LIGHTLY and keep the RPM low around 1 to 1.5 OR else........ the car indicates a drive train malfunction and forces me to drive at a VERY low speed. It almost sounds like it is struggling or like it is stuttering. When this happens I also feel a slight vibrating from under the hood. Again this only happens when I accelerate too much (when it's not really that much at all anyways). So basically I'm forced to enter highway ramps at like 30 and get up to 60-70 mph at a really slow rate, as if I am some kind of senior citizen. So frustrating driving my Twin-Turbo like a mini-van smh.
What is the issue with this and what should I look at repairing? What would you say would be the ballpark cost for this if I go thru a private technician?

I heard i may need to replace valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket so far. I also heard one of my pistons (I think the first one?) is out.

Apparently the white smoke is a common problem in the F10 5 Series. My questions below :

1) Based on the signs that I have indicated, what are the mandatory, "must-have" repairs needed to fix this situation? And what will the cost typically be with a NON-dealership technician?

2) Did BMW issue or do any kind of recall on any of the above related issues? Are there any long term damage effects by my not having fixed this issue yet?

Thanks guys..
100% SURE its your valve stem seals went bad. way bad to the point your start to damage your coils and spark plugs or even worst your fuel injectors. My extended warranty wouldn't even cover the valve stem seals due to having a bulletin on valve stem seals.

Now to check your valve cover gasket. go buy your self a tester.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

What engine is in your F10, lets start there.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
LoveTheGameLikeMitch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
What engine is in your F10, lets start there.
it is an N63B44O0
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 02:48 AM   #5
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

You are in for a huge bill.. however, good news is Apparently BMW has settled a lawsuit and you might be eligible for a new/remanufactured engine. There will be some cost but I'd recommend wait for a month or so or talk to your dealer. Search for the N63 lawsuit and you'll find plenty of info.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 04:55 AM   #6
LoveTheGameLikeMitch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
You are in for a huge bill.. however, good news is Apparently BMW has settled a lawsuit and you might be eligible for a new/remanufactured engine. There will be some cost but I'd recommend wait for a month or so or talk to your dealer. Search for the N63 lawsuit and you'll find plenty of info.
Thanks man yeah I actually found that out today after doing some digging. How do we keep updated as to when it is officially approved? Looks like the settlement is reached? I hope my estimate and diagnostic from the dealer is enough for BMW to simply either repair or replace my engine. sht sucks paying for a oil burning POS that is gradually getting worse.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

If you bought the car at a bmw dealership or if it was s previously CPO’d car, you may want to discuss with your service advisor, so they can reach out to bmw na for doing goodwill repair. Sometimes, they do approve such repairs if the car has good history otherwise or consistent history at bmw dealerships. It’s their discretion though. I would rather push for a replacement engine now that they are around $3k anyways.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
F10550ix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 550ix

Did you get the problem solved. Also I have the same problem I bought my car late 2016 and it already had CCP performed on it. Now it has white smoke on idle only and burns a quart of oil every 800 miles.
Appreciate 0