2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Sport Automatic Transmission (Bimmercode)

10-07-2020, 06:54 AM   #23
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylwd View Post
Its my first time here on the forum replying..
but my 340i 2016 lci with from factory no sport transmission. Every other option is there but no sport transmission.
You're in the wrong forum, but nevertheless I have a few comments based on my observations from my 2011 F10.

My F10 had 205 transmission, but also no DEC switch (SPORT/COMFORT). When I VO coded the car 205->2TB it made absolutely no difference in behaviour other than showing S1,S2,S3 in the cluster. Everyone else with an F10 seems to have different observations that shifting changes etc...etc...

I've been running xHP for about 1.5 years. When I first got it, there was a significant problem with it because I did not have a DEC switch. They didn't think cars existed without a DEC switch, so the map was all wrong and shifting actually got worse. I was exchanging emails with them around that time because I was really interested in getting it to work. They released the 2.0 major rewrite and you'll notice the comment in the release notes 'now supports cars without a DEC switch'.

Also worth noting - I had used 2TB to enable paddles on the M5 wheel I retrofitted and that was working fine with factory software. However xHP failed then too - again because of the many, many maps that must be in EGS. A vehicle never would have rolled off of the factory floor with 2TB but no DEC switch, so xHP never populated maps for that scenario even though the factory did. I had to revert 2TB->205 and FDL code SZL to enable the paddles instead.

I can tell you after that, xHP definitely unlocked all the shift modes including the DCT-rival harshest shift mode. I was running Stage 2 v2.2 for quite some time.

This spring I noticed that v2.6 was out and upgraded. It was back to slower-than-stock shifts again. I contacted xHP - the short version was "oops we forgot about non-DEC cars again. You better stay at v2.2 or retrofit a DEC swtich. Sorry". The comments this time implied they had no intention of putting non-DEC support back in. Thank goodness that xHP allows you to pick any map revision you like at flash time, unlike MHD which always installs the newest.

So I finally retrofitted a DEC switch last week and upgraded xHP to stage 3 v3.3 (which has fixed a number of little issues and is noticeably more refined). Because I have hydraulic steering, non-active coilover suspension, no motor sound, passive H&R sway bars, and a 6WA cluster - all that DEC switch does is control xHP and MHD, and it means that now my car is like everyone else's so I don't keep triggering bugs.

This confirms for me that there are many, many maps in the EGS and it's easy to miss some. The fact that you report that xHP didn't improve anything is what really caught my attention.

Do you have a DEC switch? Into what modules did you VO code 2TB? Have you specifically contacted xHP with your option list saying that their flash didn't work? Is there anything else that could be different than "normal" about your build in terms of options? Can you try an xHP map revision from a while ago (like spring 2019) and see if it's any different than the latest and greatest?

Last edited by Surly73; 10-07-2020 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 11:01 AM   #24
joeylwd
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M135I BMW 340i LCI

Sorry i did not recommend the info right.

XHP made difference ... but not the difference as it should be like my m135i.

Every option is on my car only the sport automatic and paddles where missing.So yes DEC switch etc etc..

XHP first map for my car was also not good because the sport automatic makes difference in there mapping settings. So the car was driving like crap back then. They did fix a new map and no problems... I tried different maps from XHP with updates etc none did help. The stock settings from BMW is not like originale sport automatic so im thinking that there is the problem.

But the problem what i mean is, the car is not shifting like a sport automatic from factory, its realy coded good to al the ecu's but i think there is something whe/i dont know. BMW self is also saying that ist prossible but they cant do it.

I ready the forum here and the person above my reaction had the same thing so thats why i did respond.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #25
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
But the problem what i mean is, the car is not shifting like a sport automatic from factory, its realy coded good to al the ecu's but i think there is something whe/i dont know. BMW self is also saying that ist prossible but they cant do it.
My car never shifted like SAT after coding 2TB either (like everyone else seems to claim it should). But it DOES work properly with xHP, except for all the issues I documented.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:21 AM   #26
joeylwd
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M135I BMW 340i LCI

Ofcourse XHP makes it a bit better, but not as it should be.... so that's a point for me to search out....

Maybe someone found the problem...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:44 PM   #27
Beemer_Five
Rep
Drives: F10 N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
It adds Sport+.
Hi ezaircon4jc, actually SAT did not add sport+ for me.
Mine is f10, 2014, 528 x-drive
I used Bimmer code app > electronic Transmission Control > Sport Automatic Transmission > Active.
My car does have sport/comfort/eco mode switch.
I did lot of research but not able to find how can I activate sports+ in my car, or rather it is possible to not.
Any pointers?
Thanks in advance!!!
      11-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #28
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer_Five View Post
Hi ezaircon4jc, actually SAT did not add sport+ for me.
Mine is f10, 2014, 528 x-drive
I used Bimmer code app > electronic Transmission Control > Sport Automatic Transmission > Active.
My car does have sport/comfort/eco mode switch.
I did lot of research but not able to find how can I activate sports+ in my car, or rather it is possible to not.
Any pointers?
Thanks in advance!!!
I never tried it in Bimmercode; I used ESys. I don't know if the VO is accessible in the BimmerCode Expert Mode. You need to remove 205 and add 2TB to the VO (vehicle order). Better instructions are in the coding forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #29
Beemer_Five
Rep

Quote:
I never tried it in Bimmercode; I used ESys. I don't know if the VO is accessible in the BimmerCode Expert Mode. You need to remove 205 and add 2TB to the VO (vehicle order). Better instructions are in the coding forum.
Thanks ezaircon4jc!!!
Based of all the research i did, if the vehicle is compatible then sports+ option will show up in Bimmer code app. For me it's not showing up so I am assuming it's not possible.

Also, how should i get to coding form? Sorry, pretty new to this!!
      11-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #30
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks ezaircon4jc!!!
Based of all the research i did, if the vehicle is compatible then sports+ option will show up in Bimmer code app. For me it's not showing up so I am assuming it's not possible.

Also, how should i get to coding form? Sorry, pretty new to this!!
I could swear there was a coding forum here but I can't find it. That said, try here,

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/bm...ogramming.175/
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #31
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

BimmerCode can't modify VO so even if you program the transmission to be SAT in expert mode through BimmerCode, it is only half way done. You won't get Sport+ until you delete 205 and add 2TB in VO
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:54 PM   #32
Beemer_Five
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
BimmerCode can't modify VO so even if you program the transmission to be SAT in expert mode through BimmerCode, it is only half way done. You won't get Sport+ until you delete 205 and add 2TB in VO
Hey Hoa!! Thanks for the reply.
1. SAT can be coded in BimmerCode without going in to expert mode. This part I did.
2. Sports+ can be coded in Bimmercode that to without going in to expert mode. But it's a 2 step process:
In BC app first, go to: Instrument Chassis Management > Driving Mode > Sport+ Driving Mode (1 of 2)
Secondly, Instrument Cluster > Driving Mode > SPORT+ Drive Mode (2 of 2)

In my case, I don't see these options. But refer this video, this dude is seeing it.

So at this point I'm unsure whether it's something that cannot be done in my car, or why BC app is not showing these options for me.
      11-18-2020, 11:29 PM   #33
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

That link is for F30

Like I said, you have to modify the VO in order for sport+ to show up on F10. BimmerCode can't modify VO. It can only program the transmission to sport transmission but it cannot modify your VO. Programming the transmission is not enough. You will need to code VO through a computer.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:54 AM   #34
Beemer_Five
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
That link is for F30

Like I said, you have to modify the VO in order for sport+ to show up on F10. BimmerCode can't modify VO. It can only program the transmission to sport transmission but it cannot modify your VO. Programming the transmission is not enough. You will need to code VO through a computer.
Thanks for the reply!!
Then could you please guide me how should I modify the VO?
So far I coded features only by using BC app.

Thanks in advance!
      11-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #35
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!!
Then could you please guide me how should I modify the VO?
So far I coded features only by using BC app.

Thanks in advance!
You'll need ESys for sure, or maybe ISTA. See the link above for info on the downloads. I'm not very computer savvy which is why I went with BC.

Now that I think about it, BimmerLink may be able to change the VO. BimmerLink is the diagnostic companion to BimmerCode.

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809017

Last edited by ezaircon4jc; 11-19-2020 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #36
Beemer_Five
Rep

Quote:
You'll need ESys for sure, or maybe ISTA. See the link above for info on the downloads. I'm not very computer savvy which is why I went with BC.

Now that I think about it, BimmerLink may be able to change the VO. BimmerLink is the diagnostic companion to BimmerCode.

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809017
Thanks again!!

I also find these references which might help folks to get understanding of using E-sys to change 205 to 2TB.

2. https://blog.uobdii.com/bmw-vo-codin...nd-enet-cable/

3. https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/h...#post-13468275
      01-03-2021, 01:10 AM   #37
ditto675
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

I have a f20 but I think it's the same principle... 205 to 2TB

I suspect early model f10s are like my f20 and have the wrong EGS and GWS hardware so FA and VO coding does nothing. Mine also wanted to flash update the DME so this could account where some see it work but not quiet the same as OEM 2TB. (Or could be you need to flash new SWFL to EGS and GWS to get it working like OEM 2TB)

Later models might have compatible hardware so FA and VO only coding works. Would be interesting if someone who got it working checks the Istep level and see if any ECU's need flashing..

Attached picture is from just changing 205 to 2TB (all ECU's were at latest istep before FA change). You can see the FEM ECU's also need different hardware revision (HWEL, HWAP).

Only e-sys and ista can change FA and VO code. bimmercode can only do FDL coding, bimmerlink is obd diagnostics.
Attached Images

Last edited by ditto675; 01-03-2021 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #38
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

@ditto:

I have a 3/2011 F10. I did not flash any ECUs as part of VO coding.

My i-step is F010-17-11-520 (upgraded at dealer as part of other work two or three times since the factory).

Now - what gets interesting I suppose is what effect are you looking for from coding 2TB?

All over the Internet people report getting different shift programs when they code 205->2TB. I did this several times, I never noticed a thing.

I VO coded 2TB years ago to retrofit paddle shifters. When I installed xHP that caused problems because I didn't have a DEC switch (COMFORT/SPORT) and there were issues because no car would have come from the factory with 2TB and no DEC switch. I reversed my VO coding and FDL coded to enable the retrofitted paddle shifters.

This August I retrofitted a DEC switch so, once again, I VO coded 205->2TB. All worked as expected and the DEC switch is active and offers SPORT+ etc... It also successfully controls aspects of MHD and xHP accordingly.

I only VO coded the modules necessary for the retrofit. In my case this was ICM, KOMBI, EGS and GWS.

I have not had the guts nor the need to VO code the entire car, nor do any flashing (although part of me would like to start flashing just because I want to know how to when I run into the need for some repair down the road).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 12:11 AM   #39
ditto675
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Im not really expecting much from 2TB (f20 wrong car for real performance), just thought why not add it 😊

Nothing to be scared of VO coding all ECU's, I do it each time I make a change in case there is a setting change in an ecu that's not obvious to the addition I have made. You will have to add all your FDL changes
in each ecu after VO code....
Should put a big warning here that if you have retrofitted anything be sure you know how it was done before you VO code.

Flashing ECU's is a big deal, but doable by anyone who is willing to learn
just make sure you search heaps and ask questions (full battery charge and PSU just to be precautious also helps). People brick ECU's when they don't ask questions 👍
I am still a newbie to BMW but have found many people on different forums very helpful and accommodating!!! (Big thankyou to ShawnSheridan!!!)

Re: Your 2TB and flashing ECU's. e-sys will only flash ECU's based on ship istep, target istep and FA so if no 2TB in FA it will only flash ECU's for 205. I'm making the huge assumption that GWS and EGS ECU's don't need flash for OEM 2TB as they probably have all needed code for both 205 and 2TB...but DME may be the missing code to fully functional 2TB.

Last edited by ditto675; 01-04-2021 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 03:32 PM   #40
Falafellover
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Quote:
Its my first time here on the forum replying..
but my 340i 2016 lci with from factory no sport transmission. Every other option is there but no sport transmission.

I did place the paddels and the other transmission paddle to the sport one.

Coded sport transmission... but really trust me ITS NOT LIKE ORIGINAL SPORT TRANSMISSION:t humbdown

I have been already for a year searching what te sollution wil be....
But nothing to find... the transmission is 100% exact. my bos is driving an 440i with factory sport transmission and whoo what a difference........

it really gives a DSG shock when shifting manual and also the shifting farts...

Im working at a garage and we do a lot of this cars so i know what im talking about. I also dit a transmission update to latest version but nope. XHP is not making it better. So im at the end... i dont know what to do annymore. More people haveing this isseu? im realy missing the shocks and sounds when shifting......
Did u find a solution 😁
Appreciate 0