2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Connected Drive issue

12-22-2022, 04:07 AM   #1
Kermdaddy
Rep
Drives: 2016 550I

Connected Drive issue

I have a 2016 550I that I bought used. It has the connected drive menu but when I try to access it, I get a message saying it isn't available for my car. Running the Vin it has almost every option. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kerm
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 07:05 AM   #2
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Connected Drive depended on the cellular communication, provided by a 3G ComBox. AT&T discontinued 3G service in U.S. in February 2022, making the feature obsolete. I believe it might still work in other countries where 3G connectivity was not sunset yet (Canada?), but it will not work in U.S.

There is a path to upgrade to 4G combox, but sourcing components from other models (since it’s not available for F10 5 series), and getting them integrated with BMW system to receive data, makes the process complicated.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 11:49 AM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermdaddy View Post
I have a 2016 550I that I bought used. It has the connected drive menu but when I try to access it, I get a message saying it isn't available for my car. Running the Vin it has almost every option. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kerm
IIRC, some late-production 2016's have an available upgrade. I would check with your service department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
Connected Drive depended on the cellular communication, provided by a 3G ComBox. AT&T discontinued 3G service in U.S. in February 2022, making the feature obsolete. I believe it might still work in other countries where 3G connectivity was not sunset yet (Canada?), but it will not work in U.S.

There is a path to upgrade to 4G combox, but sourcing components from other models (since it’s not available for F10 5 series), and getting them integrated with BMW system to receive data, makes the process complicated.
And quite expensive. My source was trying to do this and has pretty much stopped looking. IIRC, when last he reported, he was at ~$2K in parts alone, not even taking into consideration the cost of labour to install the parts. I gave up on my 2014 and just bought a 2019.
Appreciate 0