2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 2013 M5 - which head unit for NBT EVO?

11-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
sumitagarwal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

2013 M5 - which head unit for NBT EVO?

I recently got a 2013 F10 M5 with Executive Package and looking down at my phone in the cupholder for directions resulted in me hitting a pothole and cracking a rim within 24 hours of ownership...

I know I can simply get a phone mount, but the stock screen is big and in the right spot, so I want to take full advantage of it. Modern navigation apps are simply better than automaker navigation, and I want to use Apple CarPlay.

I considered the 3rd-party Android and CarPlay solutions, but I really want to stick with BMW for better audio quality and less bugginess. My plan is to stick an iPhone SE in the glove compartment as a dedicated media and nav box, with data provided through a Google Fi data-only SIM.

I've been told that I can keep my existing screen and controller, and that all I need is the correct head unit and coding. On eBay, which head unit should I be looking for? And how hard will it be to code it to my car?

Thanks, I know there are a lot of similar threads around this topic but there's just so many different permutations and its so confusing that I felt I needed to create a fresh one.
Appreciate 0