2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 2015 535i X Drive - Spotify Options

07-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
ngiovas
Rep
Drives: F10

2015 535i X Drive - Spotify Options

I am new to the forum and am considering buying a 2015 535i X Drive which includes most of the tech options.

I am trying to find out what my options are for streaming Spotify to the car's head unit. Is there an option that will allow me to pick songs and stream music from my account - even if using my cell phone? I don't mind coding or swapping hardware if necessary, but would like to find a solution that doesn't require third-party hardware.

thanks,

Nick
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngiovas View Post
I am new to the forum and am considering buying a 2015 535i X Drive which includes most of the tech options.

I am trying to find out what my options are for streaming Spotify to the car's head unit. Is there an option that will allow me to pick songs and stream music from my account - even if using my cell phone? I don't mind coding or swapping hardware if necessary, but would like to find a solution that doesn't require third-party hardware.

thanks,

Nick
Assuming you have iDrive, if you have option code 6NR (BMS Apps), then you should have a native interface to Spotify (and iHeartRadio, and Pandora, and others).

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
ngiovas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Assuming you have iDrive, if you have option code 6NR (BMS Apps), then you should have a native interface to Spotify (and iHeartRadio, and Pandora, and others).
It doesn't look like 6NR is included on this vehicle. I am really surprised that with all of the options that were included that they wouldn't have added the apps. Was it something that was an extra cost in 2015? How difficult / expensive is it to add the apps based on the equipment included with this vehicle?

Here is the list of features on the car I am looking at:

P337A M Sports package

S1CAA Selection of COP relevant vehicles

S1CCA Auto start/stop function

S1CDA Brake Energy Regeneration

S212A Equipment, brake syst. country-specific

S248A Steering wheel heater

S258A Tire with run-flat functionality

S2NBA BMW LA wheel, M Double Spoke 351

S2TBA Sport automatic transmission

S2VBA Tire pressure display

S302A Alarm system

S316A automatic trunk lid mechanism

S319A Integrated universal remote control

S322A Comfort access

S323A Soft-Close-Automatic doors

S3AGA Reversing camera

S3DZA Delete extra external lettering

S403A Glass roof, electrical

S423A Floor mats, velours

S430A Interior/outside mirror with auto dip

S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip

S453A Climate-controlled seats, front

S455A Active seat for driver and passenger

S456A Comfort seat with memory

S465A Through-loading system

S488A Lumbar support, driver and passenger

S494A Seat heating driver/passenger

S496A Seat heating, rear

S4BNA Fine-wood trim ash grain

S4NEA Blow-by heater

S4U1A Ceramic appliques for controls

S4U2A Driving experience switch incl. ECO PRO

S4URA Ambient interior lighting

S502A Headlight cleaning system

S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)

S534A Automatic air conditioning

S552A Adaptive LED headlight

S575A Supplementary 12V sockets

S5A1A LED Fog lights

S5ACA High-beam assistant

S5AGA Lane-change warning

S5APA Decode, anti-glare FLA high-beam assist

S5ASA Driving Assistant

S5DLA Surround View

S5DSA Emergency release, luggage compartment

S609A Navigation system Professional

S610A Head-up display

S645A BMW US Radio

S655A Satellite tuner

S697A Area-Code 1 for DVD

S6ACA Intelligent emergency SOS call

S6AEA Teleservices

S6AKA Connected Drive Services

S6AMA Real-Time Traffic Information

S6APA Remote Services

S6F2A Bang&Olufsen High End Surround Sound

S6NSA Convenience phone, expanded Smartphone

S6WAA Instrument cluster, expanded equipment

S6WAA Instrument cluster, expanded equipment

S710A M leather steering wheel

S715A M Aerodynamics package

S760A High gloss shadow line

S775A Headlining anthracite

S823A Hot-climate version

S845A Acoustic belt warning

S850A Dummy-SALAPA

S853A Language version English

S876A Radio frequency 315 MHz

S8KLA Oil service interval 15,000 km/12 months

S8S4A Decoding variable light distribution

S8SMA Car ident. number visible from outside

S8THA Road sign detection

S8TNA Daytime run.lights adjus.via light menu

S925A Dummy-SALAPA

S9AAA Outer skin protection
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
ngiovas
Rep

Posting back to this thread hoping someone will chime in. The dealer told me that their tech looked up how to activate the 6NR BMW apps feature and found a bulletin that stated that the option was not needed and that by activating the BMW ConnectedDrive service for $50 the apps will also be activated. Nothing else is needed.

That didn't sound correct, so I called the BMW genius support and they told me the exact same thing. There would be nothing I need to purchase / activate at the dealer. Only the ActiveDrive subscription is required.

Can anyone clarify this? If this is the case, what is the 6NR feature set I am reading about that you can purchase an FSC code for? Is that something different? I am mainly wanting to stream Spotify.

thanks,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngiovas View Post
Posting back to this thread hoping someone will chime in. The dealer told me that their tech looked up how to activate the 6NR BMW apps feature and found a bulletin that stated that the option was not needed and that by activating the BMW ConnectedDrive service for $50 the apps will also be activated. Nothing else is needed.

That didn't sound correct, so I called the BMW genius support and they told me the exact same thing. There would be nothing I need to purchase / activate at the dealer. Only the ActiveDrive subscription is required.

Can anyone clarify this? If this is the case, what is the 6NR feature set I am reading about that you can purchase an FSC code for? Is that something different? I am mainly wanting to stream Spotify.

thanks,
Nick
I have APPS in our 2012 with NO paid subscription and I only need to connect my iPhone 5s (or 6S+ for that matter) with either a cable through the USB port or with the snap-in adapter to use (in my case) Pandora. I imagine Spotify is the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

In order for apps such as Spotify, Pandora, and iHeartRadio to work natively in iDrive, the headunit must have an active 9C FSC code.

When BMW first came out with "BMW Apps", it was ordered with option code 6NR. When option code 6NR is ordered, a lifetime 9C FSC code is installed in the headunit. This means you will always have "BMW Apps" available.

Newer BMW headunits can also have 9C FSC code activated directly from BMW over the telematics module, this process is called provisioning. Provisioned FSC codes are subscription services, and are only available for a certain period of time.

So, if you do not currently have BMW Apps, there are 3 ways of activating 9C FSC code. 1) getting a 3rd party FSC kit which will install a lifetime FSC code. 2) Going to the dealer, and requesting option 6NR, which will install a lifetime 9C FSC code. 3) Renewing ConnectedDrive services which will activate 9C FSC code for a certain amount of time.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
In order for apps such as Spotify, Pandora, and iHeartRadio to work natively in iDrive, the headunit must have an active 9C FSC code.

When BMW first came out with "BMW Apps", it was ordered with option code 6NR. When option code 6NR is ordered, a lifetime 9C FSC code is installed in the headunit. This means you will always have "BMW Apps" available.

Newer BMW headunits can also have 9C FSC code activated directly from BMW over the telematics module, this process is called provisioning. Provisioned FSC codes are subscription services, and are only available for a certain period of time.

So, if you do not currently have BMW Apps, there are 3 ways of activating 9C FSC code. 1) getting a 3rd party FSC kit which will install a lifetime FSC code. 2) Going to the dealer, and requesting option 6NR, which will install a lifetime 9C FSC code. 3) Renewing ConnectedDrive services which will activate 9C FSC code for a certain amount of time.
So are you saying that the whole APPS thing changed with the LCI models? Our 2012 and 2014 have the 6NR APPS.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #8
ColiFeCape
Rep
Drives: 2017 435dx F32 M Sport

I have 6NR apps and it really is a hit and a miss whether the connection through USB is good enough for the Spotify app to run fully, with an iPhone 5s now a SE

Great when it works, pain in the arse when it doesn't and i've used different cables (incl genuine )

Don't have enhanced BT to try, yet....

Any one with any ideas to improve the connection would be great.

Coli
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 12:22 AM   #9
g8mail1216
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 xdrive28i

Quote:

Hi, could you please clearly describe about the 3rd party fsc kit? thanks.
Appreciate 0