2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Retrofitting Navigation on my F10

02-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW (F10) 528i Xdrive

Garage List
Retrofitting Navigation on my F10 (DIY)

Hey Guys,
Today I ordered the Navi retrofit package for F10 from bimmerretrofit
It will be home soon and I am going to install the hardware myself. Coding will be done remotely by bimmerretrofit guys. Stay tuned for pics and videos of the process.
Wish me good luck.

2012 528i XDrive Alpine white

Last edited by Zaman; 04-04-2013 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Mss396
Jet Pilot
Germany
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaman View Post
Hey Guys,
Today I ordered the Navi retrofit package for F10 from bimmerretrofit
It will be home soon and I am going to install the hardware myself. Coding will be done remotely by bimmerretrofit guys. Stay tuned for pics and videos of the process.
Wish me good luck.
Good luck. But, I do believe I would have paid a pro to do it for me
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
All of the parts are here. I am only waiting for the damn weather to get better here in Calgary.*It is 2 C ( 35 F) in my garage now.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
can128
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

looking to do the exact same thing... please provide an exact part list if possible.
Subscribed!
      04-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Check out http://www.bimmer-tech.net/
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Finally the weather helped and I could retrofit the navigation and voice control system.
The whole process has 5 steps:
1- buying the parts. (I bought them from the Bimmer-Retrofit)
2- Installing the antenna
3- Installing the glovebox USB
4- replacing screen and head unit
5- Programming the CIC by Bimmer-Retrofit

STEPS:
1- It was a fast and easy transaction with a very quick TNT shipment. The parts are all in very good shape as advertised. You will receive:

- 10.2" OEM screen
- OEM CIC unit
- ENET cable
- OEM USB plug and cable for glove box USB (If ordered)
- GPS antenna

2- There are different ways of dealing with the problem of having no antenna for your new navigation system:

- Some people don't care if they have to attach a square (1"x1") antenna on the dash and run the cable somehow to the back of CIC unit, with some parts of the cable visible. I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE.
I prefer to have all cables and extra parts invisible, If you are similar to me you have three options.

- Some people buy the shark fin antenna for GPS, detach the shark fin from the roof and change the inside antenna and run the cables. (I FOUND THIS VERY DIFFICULT AND WITH POSSIBLE ERRORS that may leave scratches and signed of the retrofit process on the car)

- Some retrofitters prefer using the available telecom or the backup antenna which is connected to COMBOX and redirect it to the back of CIC unit by using an extension coaxial cable with FAKRA connectors. Here is a photo (courtesy of Bimmer-tech) of the COMBOX with its antenna cable disconnected (pink connector) and attached to the extension cable (Blue connector). The cable is pointed by the arrow.
Name:  COMBOX antenna.jpeg
Views: 47477
Size:  18.5 KB

- I didn't choose the previous option as I was not sure about the process and thought it was risky and time consuming. So what I did is:

= I removed the back seats ( I don't have access through option) . The DIY is available in this thread.
= installed the antenna with magnetic base to the metal frame of the car underneath the rear parcel shelf by accessing there from the left carseat hook housing. (Pics below)

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 3.16.39 PM.png
Views: 45764
Size:  370.7 KB
Name:  carseat hook1.JPG
Views: 45454
Size:  282.1 KB
Name:  carseat hook2.JPG
Views: 45166
Size:  261.0 KB
Name:  carseat hook3.JPG
Views: 45278
Size:  304.2 KB
Name:  carseat hook4.JPG
Views: 44713
Size:  261.0 KB
Name:  where I put the antenna.JPG
Views: 44508
Size:  229.4 KB

= Ran the cable underneath the parcel shelf to the cable housing under the rear left door sill strips. (pics below)

Name:  antenna cable out of the parcel shelf.jpg
Views: 45107
Size:  395.3 KB
Name:  removed sill strip.JPG
Views: 45765
Size:  335.3 KB

= From this point you don't need to open pillar trim and driver's door sill strip. You simply can shove the cable underneath the trims. I did it using fingers as I could feel how far in I am running the cable and it won't come off. If your antenna cable is short (similar to mine) you can buy extension coaxial cables with Blue FAKRA connectors (for GPS) or water blue (universal)*.
= To this point your cable should be out of the trims just behind the hood opener handle. It is better to do the rest after you opened the center dashboard for replacing the head unit. Because you need to pass the cable all the way to the back of the CIC unit. But I explain it here.
= I opened the driver's leg airbag unit and driver's footwell trim panel using torx screwdriver size 35 (two of them) and 20 (ttwo+ one of them, one is attaching the floorings to the trims to the car). Then I ran the cable underneath the footwell trim. If the center dashboard is open (explained below) you should be able to see the end of the cable from the housing of the CIC unit. You need to pull the cable to that housing. (Having a buddy helping you is very useful but I did it alone anyway)

* Some people believe that using extension cables for GPS antenna will reduce its reception. It is theoretically true, but I tested the navigation in the downtown area and the accuracy was the same as my buddy's F25 with navigation option.
Name:  IMG_1698.JPG
Views: 44277
Size:  364.3 KB
Attachment 840586

3- Installing the glovebox USB is a good thing as that is the only way you can add music to your new CIC hard drive and can import/export your profiles to a flash memory. Here are the steps:

= Open the side cover by simply pulling it out starting from the lowest part.
= Push the cover for USB to the glovebox. or you can ply it from inside the glovebox.

Name:  side cover removed.JPG
Views: 49978
Size:  314.5 KB
Name:  usb cover reomoved.JPG
Views: 44880
Size:  360.4 KB
Name:  usb hole inside.JPG
Views: 63071
Size:  318.7 KB

= Insert the USB plug into its hole from inside the glovebox. Look at the pics below as there is only one way that USB plug goes through the hole. If you are pushing and it is not going through simply, rotate it 90 deg and try again. It should go in very easy

Name:  usb plug direction.JPG
Views: 45556
Size:  266.0 KB
Name:  usb plug inside.JPG
Views: 56621
Size:  292.9 KB

= If you have your centre dash opened and the old head unit removed pass the USB cable from the CIC unit housing to the space available above the glovebox compartment and attach the connector.
Notes: USB cable only can connect to the plug from one its head and the head is for CIC unit. Make sure you are passing it trough in the correct direction to reduce redundant work. I found it easier to run the cable from the CIC housing to the USB plug rather than the other way around, though it is up to you.

4- for this part you need to have a torx screwdriver size 20 handy. Cover the center console and gearshift handle by towel to reduce the chance of scratching them. When I say I pulled something that means I pulled it hard, don't be afraid. Here are the Steps:

** These two videos show how to remove the screen and CIC unit, I explain the steps below:
Display Screen:

Head unit:

= Open the glovebox door
= pull the decor cover trim starting your way from the passenger side to the centre. ( When you get close to air-vents and the start button be careful for the wirings.

Name:  removed decor trim.JPG
Views: 44454
Size:  319.7 KB
Name:  Start_ACvent wiring.JPG
Views: 44922
Size:  385.1 KB

= Disconnect the wirings from the start button and the waning and door lock buttons. (Make sure you remember what is where ) Put aside the trim in a safe place.
= Unscrew the screen from its below (two screws) and pull it gently toward yourself and down.
=Disconnect the wirings from the back of the screen. and put the screen aside.
NOTE: you can install your new display at this point as it has nothing to do with the rest of the process (explained the steps for installing below)
= Unscrew the radio and climate control unit from the top (two screws). These units are attached together as one unit. pull it gently from the top to the bottom there are four metal pins holding the unit in its place, two on each side.
= Disconnect the wirings one blue plug on left and one black on the right side. there is a mechanism that holds these plugs. Gently move the black strip (it is more obvious on the blue plug below the wires) up and toward the bottom of the plugs this will result the plug comes out of its place. ( Watch the video above carefully) put the unit aside.
= Unscrew the head unit and pull it off its railing.
= Disconnect the wirings. There is a big black quad connector which has a mechanism that holds it in place. Watch the video to see how to remove it. There are two coaxial antenna cables one with a black connector and one with a pink connector. to disconnect them slide the white tongue out and while pushing its end pull out the cable. The pink cable ( for telecom antenna) won't attach anywhere to your new CIC unit.) There is another bigger pink connector (CID) that will connect to your new CIC.

Name:  head unit wires_AC wire.JPG
Views: 71366
Size:  318.8 KB

NOW you need to bring your new CIC and display to connect

= Connect back all cables to the new CIC unit. i.e.:
-= small black coaxial FM radio antenna
-= Pink connector (CID) smaller pink won't connect to anywhere here
-= White connector (Glovebox USB)
-= Blue Connector (GPS antenna)
-= Big black quad lock connector
= Install the CIC unit into its place (slide into its railing and screw the two torx 20s, if you have more you can screw two more below the original ones)

Name:  new CIC installed.JPG
Views: 68520
Size:  480.9 KB

= Connect back the wirings for the climate control and radio unit (black and blue plugs)

Name:  AC unit connected.JPG
Views: 45365
Size:  407.6 KB

= Install back the A/C radio unit. (insert and push the metal pins till you hear the click sound) and screw the two torx 20s
= Connect the two wirings to the back of your new 10.2 display
= Install the display and screw it into its place. (you could install the display before opening the head unit)
= Connect the start/stop wiring and warning and door lock buttons wirings
= install back the decor cover.
= install back everything else to their places, if you haven't already. e.g the right side cover beside the glovebox, Driver's footwell trim and airbag. rear door sill strip and rear seats.

Name:  finished installation.JPG
Views: 45446
Size:  387.7 KB

By this point if you start your car (it should if you didn't mess up) new menu options such as navigation( BMW Assist changes to connected drive) should be available. If your CIC unit is pre-coded to your VIN (that is the way Bimmer-Retrofit does it) you should have access to navigation.

Name:  new display with nav in the list.JPG
Views: 70148
Size:  408.1 KB

Note: maps may not be available right away. but if you turn your car off and leave it for a while they will be available.

Name:  nav without map.JPG
Views: 43696
Size:  311.2 KB

The Navigation works pretty well at this point but you won't see the arrows and guidance on your instrument panel. that is why you need step 5.

5- You should call Bimmer-retrofit when you are done installing to book a coding session.
remote coding the car by Bimmer-Retrofit was an interesting and exciting process. you connect your car using the provided ENET cable to your router (internet) assign a router port to your car IP address. Here is a photo of my setup for remote-coding session.

Name:  coding.JPG
Views: 43120
Size:  352.5 KB

The technician codes your car for Nav, video in motion and voice control (if ordered FSC). you are communicating with the technician using Skype during the process.

Now I have navigation, voice control and best of all I feel I know my car better that before as I opened it up myself .

I should acknowledge lovely Kate (Bimmer-retrofit customer service) and Vlad (Bimmer-Retrofit coding technician) for their kind and perfect service Thanks guys.

Update 04/04/2013: Photos of navigation map and guidance:

Name:  IMG_0891.JPG
Views: 42076
Size:  128.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0893.JPG
Views: 42015
Size:  123.0 KB

Last edited by Zaman; 04-04-2013 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: (Update with new photos)
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
can128
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Fantastic write up. Definitely doing this soon.
      04-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
can128
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I have connections with my local BMW dealership, is it possible for them to do the programming that may be required?
      04-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by can128 View Post
I have connections with my local BMW dealership, is it possible for them to do the programming that may be required?
It should be possible. The only thing they have to do is to activate the features for on instrument panel guidance and a few other things. However the remote coding is part of the service that bimmerretrofit provides. It is an easy step on your side
I will post photos from instrument panel guidance.

Last edited by Zaman; 04-04-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
RetroB
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d

Does this differ a lot with the X3? Please reply!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroB View Post
The head unit is the same, so cabling should not differ from this. However I am not familiar with un-mounting trims on F25. Having said that, you should consider that BMW doesn't use different technologies in their fasteners and pins and ... So as long as you can find where the screws and pins are you should be ok.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroB View Post
Hey RetroB look what I found:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...682&highlight=

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #13
RetroB
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d

Oh great! Thanks Zaman!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
mikessc
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10

Thank You. Greate Diy.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #15
Sonnguyen
Rep
Drives: 528i

Hi, can we listen musuc from usb in glove box?
After upgrade, mine can not read usb in glove box. Does it need coding?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnguyen View Post
Hi, can we listen musuc from usb in glove box?
After upgrade, mine can not read usb in glove box. Does it need coding?
Sorry for the very late response.
No, the USB in the glove box is only for data transfer. For example, if you want to add music to car's hard drive. Or if you want to download/upload your profiles (i.e. Car seat positions, audio channels and volume, A/C settings and ...).

It is not a multimedia USB connector.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
Keyser Soze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Been thinking about having this retro completed on my non-NAV 2013. I don't have PDC either, so I'm wondering if that will be an issue for routing the NAV antenna.
      04-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #18
JesseIan
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport, G37X, Tesla MS

Your write up made me wonder if I should just buy a non-nav model because it isn't THAT bad to switch! Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #19
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Been thinking about having this retro completed on my non-NAV 2013. I don't have PDC either, so I'm wondering if that will be an issue for routing the NAV antenna.
If you do this process you shouldn't be worried about the antenna. It works perfectly on mine.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseIan View Post
Your write up made me wonder if I should just buy a non-nav model because it isn't THAT bad to switch! Awesome!
Cool!! Just be aware of the fact that if there is going to be a program update on your car you have to switch back to your old system otherwise they won't be able to upgrade it.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #21
Keyser Soze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Wait, what? So you are fubared if you ever have to take your car into the dealer, and a software update is required?

My car hasn't even been to the dealer yet nor had it's first oil change (currently 5.5k miles and bought Sep-2012) so I'm sure it's due for some sort of system refresh when it does go in.
      04-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #22
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Wait, what? So you are fubared if you ever have to take your car into the dealer, and a software update is required?

My car hasn't even been to the dealer yet nor had it's first oil change (currently 5.5k miles and bought Sep-2012) so I'm sure it's due for some sort of system refresh when it does go in.
If it is for regular maintenance/ oil change and ..., no. But if there is a need to reprogram the car, yes. For example, there was a recall on F10s for emission control system recently. For that one I had to swap the system back to its original head unit.

Appreciate 0