2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications BMW dtc P13B4 with DriveTrain Malfunction

05-28-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
JohnTrey
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550XI

BMW dtc P13B4 with DriveTrain Malfunction

Hey y’all. I’m driving a 2013 bmw 550Xi. I was on my way to town when My check engine light started flashing and all of a sudden I got the DTM notification and car started hesitating. I pulled over to see if turning off the car and back on would be of any luck. Didn’t do anything so I drove back home in limp mode since I wasn’t far. Now it’s sitting there and I can’t figure out where the problem is. Pulled the codes and I had the whole bank 1 cylinders misfiring and the random misfire code too. P13b4 was among the codes but the code reader I have isn’t strictly for bmw so it said to get with manufacturer’s manual. There isn’t a whole lot of information out there on this code, all I’ve seen is that it may be “ Crankshaft / Inlet Camshaft Position Sensor”. I’ve changed both camshaft sensors (I don’t know if there are more for the N63) and still the same. Car also throws a bit of white smoke on that side of the exhaust and smells a lot like gas which I know is due to the misfire. There is rough idle and every time I turn it on the DTM always pops up. I’ve read that it may be the VANOS Solenoids but I don’t think that’s what it is. Also switched coils and spark plugs from one side to the other but I’m still getting misfires for bank 1 or left side if standing in front of the car (passenger’s side). If I’m not wrong I believe that is cylinders 1-4 right? Which would be the intake side too right?
Something is causing for the whole bank to misfire and I’ve checked the catalytic for any signs of bad use but as well if it was, there would be black smoke coming from the exhaust and it would be turning red hot if it was clogged. Checked all the wiring and harness but I haven’t checked the fuses. I wanna say it’s the crankshaft sensor since I haven’t changed it, but my gut says if it was that, it’d be showing other codes and symptoms. Right? Any ideas on what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 05:39 PM   #2
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30, 06 325i, 07 328i

did you ever figure this out ? I have similar situation on an F10. getting code P13b4.
Appreciate 0