2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Need Help 6MT upgrade Flywheel and Clutch, SSK

05-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Need Help 6MT upgrade Flywheel and Clutch, SSK

So the PS2 is running strong, logs look good but the clutch is occasionally slipping under heavier loads and higher boost... no way is this going to take everything a tune will throw at it. I need help sourcing a good single mass lightened flywheel, a streetable clutch that won't be a PITA to drive but will take the power, and I'd love while I'm in there to just go ahead and do a Short Shift Kit...

Can anyone help me by posting some links, ideas!?

Bmwdoubles_

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #2
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
So the PS2 is running strong, logs look good but the clutch is occasionally slipping under heavier loads and higher boost... no way is this going to take everything a tune will throw at it. I need help sourcing a good single mass lightened flywheel, a streetable clutch that won't be a PITA to drive but will take the power, and I'd love while I'm in there to just go ahead and do a Short Shift Kit...

Bmwdoubles_
A lot of people hate the single mass flywheel but I'm still on my stock flywheel and clutch. I am planning to upgrade to the 550i clutch down the road. Might be an option to look in. Bmw doubles Is probably the best person to talk to because he had single mass flywheel, the 550i clutch, spec clutch, clutch delete valve and the short shifter. 😂 now if it's for Honda b/h/f series I could tell you everything about lighten flywheel to puck clutches unsprung and sprung…
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 04:34 AM   #3
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ey2001 View Post
Quote:

Bmwdoubles_
A lot of people hate the single mass flywheel but I'm still on my stock flywheel and clutch. I am planning to upgrade to the 550i clutch down the road. Might be an option to look in. Bmw doubles Is probably the best person to talk to because he had single mass flywheel, the 550i clutch, spec clutch, clutch delete valve and the short shifter. 😂 now if it's for Honda b/h/f series I could tell you everything about lighten flywheel to puck clutches unsprung and sprung…
I would avoid the single mass. It sounded like marbles were in my trans unless I had the clutch engaged at a stop. Great for the horse power and tracking but it's not a great street mod. I would stick with the stock dual flywheel, upgrade to the 550 and do the valve delete. The spec clutch was no not crazy noticeably better than the 550 clutch. The UUC short shift was never right and had to be modded twice and still wasn't right. It eventually caused wear on my clutch fork and that turned marbles into clanking robot wars and eventually left me stranded.

The best for street is
- stock dual mass
- 550 clutch
- Valve delete
- weighted M5 shift knob/ZHP
- thicker manual trans fluid on higher mileage cars https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/gea...ly-99991754600
- upgraded metal pedals http://www.pedalhaus.com/f10.html
- Heel plate http://www.pedalhaus.com/heelplates.html

I have a BMS clutch stop and it's a very, very slight improvement on the travel. See if you can find and adjustable clutch stop for shorter distance. http://www.pedalhaus.com/clutchstops.html

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Thanks for the info... so the 550 clutch will handle everything the ps2 can throw at it?

Sad to hear about the single mass.. I really wanted a lightened flywheel... I wonder why it made noise?

I already did the CV delete and clutch stop.

That pedal set up looks sick!!! I am doing that!

You got any pics of yours?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 07:09 PM   #5
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
This must be what you were talking about...

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

Since this isn't my daily, I might consider it. Which one did you have? Do you still have it? Maybe you want to sell it? Lol... Bmwdoubles_

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 12:45 AM   #6
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
This must be what you were talking about...

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

Since this isn't my daily, I might consider it. Which one did you have? Do you still have it? Maybe you want to sell it? Lol... Bmwdoubles_
MFactory. Mine needs to be resurfaced if you want to buy it off me on the cheap. DM me.

Appreciate 1
      05-30-2021, 12:54 AM   #7
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the info... so the 550 clutch will handle everything the ps2 can throw at it?

Sad to hear about the single mass.. I really wanted a lightened flywheel... I wonder why it made noise?

The spec 2 clutch eventually died so I'm saying the 550 clutch can handle but either way if you drive hard like me you're going to be replacing either one eventually. I was throwing 550wtq at the 550 clutch and it performed great. I was planning on throwing over 600 at the spec 2 but at the end of the day other parts of my engine and trans weren't happy with it. Fuel, trans, the tune itself. 550tq was a street-able/happy place for my car.

Almost 500hp with 550tq is a great street level for our cars. Beyond that consult with $howtime456 as he has gone through getting way more power than me and knows the pitfalls.

Here is where my car was at with all the upgrades, clutch, fuel mods, and DS tune.

Follow showtime here

Appreciate 1
      05-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #8
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
Quote:

The spec 2 clutch eventually died so I'm saying the 550 clutch can handle but either way if you drive hard like me you're going to be replacing either one eventually. I was throwing 550wtq at the 550 clutch and it performed great. I was planning on throwing over 600 at the spec 2 but at the end of the day other parts of my engine and trans weren't happy with it. Fuel, trans, the tune itself. 550tq was a street-able/happy place for my car.

Almost 500hp with 550tq is a great street level for our cars. Beyond that consult with $howtime456 as he has gone through getting way more power than me and knows the pitfalls.

Here is where my car was at with all the upgrades, clutch, fuel mods, and DS tune.

Follow showtime here
Thank you so much. I will contact you on the flywheel... btw... I got my turbo from showtime. I love to see the consistency on the 21 lbs of boost in your log!

How did the rest of your trans not like more power!?!? That is concerning!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0