2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Idle oscillations...Lets solve it together!

06-04-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
BIMMEROV
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xdrive M sport

Idle oscillations...Lets solve it together!

Hi,
So as the title states Im having idle oscillations on my 11 535i xdrive. I was running BM3 stage 2 93 oct OTS tune which amplified the issue to a point where at idle speeds in gear (foot off the gas pedal) the car would jerk back n forth. Thinking there is problem with the tune, I detuned it back to stock and the issue is still present but a lot less violent. Did some maintenance like plugs and coils, cleaned the MAF still no result. So Im kinda running out of ideas and figured I'd ask the experts...
Current mods are:
VRSF catless dp
BMS charge pipe
BMS intake

Recent maintenance:
NGK oem replacemnt plugs
Eldor coilpacks
HPFP was done at the dealership couple of years ago.

Here are some data logs ive done via BM3 app.

Stage 2 93 octane tune idle
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60b1...729b37e9a80a62

Stage 2 93 octane tune 3rd gear pull
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60b2...0b432b33dcefa2

Stock tune idle
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60b6...90c6105d4767a5

Stock tune 3rd gear pull
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60b6...0b436b0461ade1

Any input would be appreciate it..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 01:25 AM   #2
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Myself and multiple other drivers of the Pre LCI version with the N55 motor have been dealing with this issue. I've posted a couple times trying to see what it could possibly be but to now avail. I have the same exact situation as yours and it's driving me crazy. After doing extensive research (at least on the healthiness of my cars engine) I'm leaning towards it being a software/firmware update being needed.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 09:53 PM   #3
MatthewLC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

I also have the same issue that I've been trying to resolve, I think it's related to the 2011 N55's. From what I've been able to gather through research it's a common issue with E90 N55's which is basically the same engine/dme in the 2011 535. A lot of the E90 guys complain that these weird idle oscillations occurred after installing a catless downpipe.

I have basically the same mods as OP: BM3 tune, VRSF downpipe and VRSF charge pipe.

I'm curious if those with a MHD tune have the same issue? That might be able to give some insight on it being a software/firmware issue?

For context I've replaced similar items:
- NGK One step colder plugs
- Eldor Coils
- New Injectors

Smoke tested the car, found some vacuum leaks, resolved those but it didn't make a difference on idle. Car seems to run perfect other than idle. For me it seems like more of a misfire rather than an oscillation. I'm am experiencing the same timing swings at idle which seems to be causing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
BIMMEROV
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xdrive M sport

Yeah the more I research it definitely seems like a software issue.
Mine also feels like a misfire at times like MatthewLC mentioned. I was going to replace my injectors but it seems like it didnt help you guys so Im going to wait on that. Some people tried replacing their O2 sensors which had no effect either.

Im kinda wondering if the secondary O2 sensor has anything to do with this? Supposedly the tune shuts it off but computers in these cars are pretty particular with system integrity.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

I'm thinking that it really just comes down to the DME software that these cars come with from 2011 or 2010. I haven't done this yet but I think updating my modules to all the up to date software will solve my issue. If not then it was for peace of mind and now I know it's wasn't a software issue.
Appreciate 0