2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Retrofit and code NBT Evo on F10 LCI

05-28-2021, 02:57 AM   #1
niksss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 535i

Retrofit and code NBT Evo on F10 LCI

Hello guys !
I currently have a 2016 BMW F10 with the factory NBT navigation. I have found a NBT EVO unit from a donor car at a reasonable price and I want to upgrade. I have some questions about the retrofit and the coding process.
1. What parts do I need ? As I understand, because my car is equiped with a NBT, I need just the EVO headunit and a voltage regulator for the screen ?
2. What is the coding procedure for the unit ? I need to change the VIN of the unit to my car and then default code it I guess, but is this all ? Can I code the unit on my own car or I need some sort of a bench (which I don't have), because someone told me that I can't connect the unit to my car before it has been coded to my vin, otherwise it will be blocked/bricked. If anyone has a step by step turorial for coding, it would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Nick is a great resource and this is a very detailed install video from him.

For F10, essentially, all modules remain the same that you have to get and wiring that you have to modify and then coding.

If you're getting all parts from the same car (ATM, HeadUnit, iDrive controller, Display) then you should be good to get all services up and running too
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 08:17 AM   #3
niksss
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post

Nick is a great resource and this is a very detailed install video from him.

For F10, essentially, all modules remain the same that you have to get and wiring that you have to modify and then coding.

If you're getting all parts from the same car (ATM, HeadUnit, iDrive controller, Display) then you should be good to get all services up and running too
Thanks for the video and for the info man, really helpful !
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
I just got an NBT Evo HU installed that came retrofitted with a GPS chip so that I didn't need to worry about TCB>ATM. Unless you really want ConnectedDrive, you may want to explore getting a GPS chip installed in your new Evo HU so you can at least use BMW's navigation. And yes, the VIN needs to be updated before installation.

I started off with just the Evo HU and kept my original 10.25 non-touch display (with voltage adapter) and original iDrive controller. Everything worked perfectly together without any additional coding needed. With that said, I am now getting a touchscreen and new controller. Both would need coding.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
niksss
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
I just got an NBT Evo HU installed that came retrofitted with a GPS chip so that I didn't need to worry about TCB>ATM. Unless you really want ConnectedDrive, you may want to explore getting a GPS chip installed in your new Evo HU so you can at least use BMW's navigation. And yes, the VIN needs to be updated before installation.

I started off with just the Evo HU and kept my original 10.25 non-touch display (with voltage adapter) and original iDrive controller. Everything worked perfectly together without any additional coding needed. With that said, I am now getting a touchscreen and new controller. Both would need coding.
From where did you get the unit with GPS plug ? I want to start off the same way (only unit and voltage regulator). Did you do the coding yourself ?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #6
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksss View Post
From where did you get the unit with GPS plug ? I want to start off the same way (only unit and voltage regulator). Did you do the coding yourself ?
I am interested in this as well.