2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

06-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #3521
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Some of the ongoing "remedies" being implemented and proposed are safe injection sites and decriminalizing all drugs in Toronto.....I'm going to predict this isn't going to make it better but what do I know, I'm just an old retired policeman.
You know a lot, chief.

Personal view: I understand a safe site where clean needles are provided, would reduce the risk of disease to drug addicts.
However, the drugs in themselves are still illegal, and a sale/purchase transaction of said drugs is still incentivizing the criminal aspect (product is being moved for profit.)
Now, afore-mentioned drug addicts are required to come up with money to purchase said illegal drugs by likely doing other illegal things (assuming panhandling or legal work doesn't cover the tab completely)
Either way, it seems like a self-perpetuating cycle of misery.
The drug addict may be getting a clean needle to inject, but the rest of their lifestyle isn't having the risk reduced.
And even if they are doing legal honest work to purchase illegal drugs, there is the health effect of said drugs. I doubt it can be argued that an injectable drug is safer than other more socially acceptable intoxicants.

I recall reading many years ago that Vancouver put in safe injection sites. Those have unsurprisingly led to other issues in that particular municipality. Latest article I noticed in the National Post mentioned an underpinning of illegal drug empires fuelling everything from real estate booms to money laundering to lord knows what else.

damn, i'm chatty this evening. that's a lot of words
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      06-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #3522
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Two drug dealers were walking at night in the forest. One says: " It's really creepy, I'm kinda scared."

"You're scared? I have to walk back alone."
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I'd like to laugh at this, I really would, but this is hitting a little too close to home for me right now.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Right after the sunrise eclipse ended last week, we heard a woman yelling and screaming outside our house. She rang our door bell. When my DW answered, she (stranger to us and barefoot) told us that our neighbor's house was on fire and that she escaped out the back window. She also said that two people were trapped inside. My DW called 911, and before long our sleepy/quiet dead end street in the woods was full of fire trucks both volunteer and professional from as far as 15-20 miles away.

I told my DW to grab the garden hose out of our garage, and spray our roof and nearest side wall to deter the fire from jumping to our house. (It wouldn't reach the neighbor's house, and the fire was too large for a garden hose to make any difference.) When the fire was out, we noticed that the vinyl siding on that side of our house was wavy from the heat. I started an insurance claim, but miraculously the siding shrunk back into shape after it cooled down overnight. The hose spray probably prevented it from being permanently damaged.

Long story short, a low-level drug dealer expired on our front lawn. The local media reports said that they are investigating it as an arson/homicide.....
      06-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #3523
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
You know a lot, chief.

Personal view: I understand a safe site where clean needles are provided, would reduce the risk of disease to drug addicts.
However, the drugs in themselves are still illegal, and a sale/purchase transaction of said drugs is still incentivizing the criminal aspect (product is being moved for profit.)
Now, afore-mentioned drug addicts are required to come up with money to purchase said illegal drugs by likely doing other illegal things (assuming panhandling or legal work doesn't cover the tab completely)
Either way, it seems like a self-perpetuating cycle of misery.
The drug addict may be getting a clean needle to inject, but the rest of their lifestyle isn't having the risk reduced.
And even if they are doing legal honest work to purchase illegal drugs, there is the health effect of said drugs. I doubt it can be argued that an injectable drug is safer than other more socially acceptable intoxicants.

I recall reading many years ago that Vancouver put in safe injection sites. Those have unsurprisingly led to other issues in that particular municipality. Latest article I noticed in the National Post mentioned an underpinning of illegal drug empires fuelling everything from real estate booms to money laundering to lord knows what else.

damn, i'm chatty this evening. that's a lot of words
Yup, so safe injection sites provide clean needles, a nurse or other healthcare/social worker and narcan.....but interestingly enough no addiction counselling....so, come use your drugs that you purchased through illegal activity and don't worry about the police being around when you use. The reality is that overdose deaths haven't really been reduced because junkies will still fix in an alley alone if they feel the need. I'm not saying criminalizing possession is necessarily the cure, but unless there is an actual push to deal with addiction issues the cycle will continue.....but this might be the bourbon talking.
Appreciate 2
paquet629.50
upstatedoc7555.50
      06-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #3524
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Detectors are legal here, but it won't help much. I personally don't care one way or the other because my visual estimation is enough. Jam away!
No officer. I do not have a radar detector.

Thought about it but realized I don't really drive THAT fast and probably cost me more than the rare ticket I might get.

I do have dash cam. If I am in an accident and it was caused by the other driver or some moronic biker or pedestrian I want proof I wasn't doing anything wrong. Heck, I don't even drive an hour later if I had a beer at lunch. I do take driving seriously.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24971.50
mahalom3163.00
      06-16-2021, 05:24 AM   #3525
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So the Residential School story is a long and storied thing. I've done a lot of work in fly in First Nation communities, they are plagued with substance abuse, mental health issues, physical and sexual abuse. FN isn't a simple Google/Wiki search. There is clearly problems with the system that was, but you also need to look at it through the lens that was 150 years ago moving forward. If you want to compare the two, FN Reservations vs homelessness I'm happy to talk about that as I have some experience with both.....but I don't think you'll like my take on either.
I like honesty. I think you've seen me post, "we must go forward". But we must study the past so we know where forward is.
Seems in the US we got rid of the mental ward institutions only last century, in the '70s.
https://timeline.com/willowbrook-the...s-c847acb44e0d
The temptation to 'lock em up' is always there. Being of Irish/Catholic decent, I've read up on the past treatment of 'wayward' girls by the church & state. I don't have as much knowledge of the Canadian treatment of indigenous peoples, because I always thought Canadians were so good!

Terrible stuff can happen under the covers.

One block from me we have a Phoenix House, probably ~ a 20 unit building. I walk this block daily (for decades now), with dogs rooting in the gutter, and have never seen a needle. Lots of cig buts, but no needles. The residents have never been connected to car break-ins or such.
Such things lead me to thinking that we can do important stuff right, if we can cut the BS (from both sides).

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-16-2021 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #3526
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
The retirement is worth it. Where you work changes your options significantly. Someone who works for a small(er) department is more limited than someone who works for a large Sheriff's department like me or mahalom3. We don't have to stay in patrol. We can work custody, hospitals, courts, …..this or that. If we want(ed) to limit exposure to the public - which I will be doing in the next 2-3 years max - we could transfer. Leaving wouldn't make sense despite the liability because we're already too deep, and easily matching our pay in the private sector would be more difficult…..plus the volatility. At 55 or 57, whichever applies, we can leave and sit on our asses making 50-85% of our highest pay depending on years of service. I have enough years in the private sector to also collect Social Security…..IF it still exists by the time I retire.
You are absolutely correct!! We also have SRO school resource officer, SWAT, Bomb Squad, SERT search and rescue, Community Services etc. You can't beat 3@50 for our retirement.
      06-17-2021, 10:48 AM   #3527
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
You can't beat 3@50 for our retirement.
What does 3@50 mean?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #3528
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
What does 3@50 mean?
3% at 50 retirement plan allows public employees to retire any time after they reach the age of 50 and annually receive a percentage of their highest salary as their pension.
      06-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #3529
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
What does 3@50 mean?
3% for every year of service is what you get as "pension"
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      06-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #3530
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Hey Sedan_Clan or anyone else in here - do you happen to have a link saved to that study showing the vast majority of crime is perpetrated by the same few people + their networks? It was something like once you get 2-3 degrees removed from the primary repeat offenders, the probability of someone committing a crime of any sort drops to the average or basically almost 0.

By degrees of separation it was like friends, family, neighborhood, etc "network". Can't seem to find the study for the US, just the one done in Sweden.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      06-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #3531
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Hey Sedan_Clan or anyone else in here - do you happen to have a link saved to that study showing the vast majority of crime is perpetrated by the same few people + their networks? It was something like once you get 2-3 degrees removed from the primary repeat offenders, the probability of someone committing a crime of any sort drops to the average or basically almost 0.

By degrees of separation it was like friends, family, neighborhood, etc "network". Can't seem to find the study for the US, just the one done in Sweden.
Let me see if I can find it.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 09:11 PM   #3532
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

New less lethal goodies. We are retiring the stun bag shotgun in favor of the double barreled 40mm.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 5
vreihen1615128.50
mahalom3163.00
jamesinaz1640.50
jmack548.50
      06-17-2021, 09:16 PM   #3533
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
New less lethal goodies. We are retiring the stun bag shotgun in favor of the double barreled 40mm.
As a non-american - a 40mm what? What is the projectile? A sand bag? A foam dart to make them laugh?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #3534
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
As a non-american - a 40mm what? What is the projectile? A sand bag? A foam dart to make them laugh?
The projectile is hard foam. It's much more effective than a bean bag round. People brush off bean bag rounds. They don't shrug these off though. They will buckle you. It's probably the pain equivalent of getting hit with a fast pitch softball.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      06-17-2021, 09:19 PM   #3535
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
The projectile is hard foam. It's much more effective than a bean bag round.
Wow, it really was foam eh? I was joking too. Does it hurt then? How does it incapacitate - knock the wind out of them?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      06-17-2021, 09:21 PM   #3536
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
The projectile is hard foam. It's much more effective than a bean bag round.
Wow, it really was foam eh? I was joking too. Does it hurt then? How does it incapacitate - knock the wind out of them?
It's the equivalent of getting hit with a fast pitch softball (…but it's the size of a golf ball). It's considered lethal force if aimed/fired at the head.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      06-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #3537
DougVA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 3@50 is for law enforcement. Other Federal employees generally get 1.7% of highest salary (actually, average of the highest three years of salary) as pension.

As a former non-law enforcement Federal retiree, I'll just say that 3@50 is not enough for the law enforcement officers I worked with. It's hard to quantify putting your life on the line day in, day out.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24971.50
mahalom3163.00
      06-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #3538
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

The top photo is the training round (…yellow hard plastic tip). The bottom photo is the field round (…hard foam tip).

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
jmack548.50
Buug95917169.50
      06-17-2021, 09:49 PM   #3539
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVA View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 3@50 is for law enforcement. Other Federal employees generally get 1.7% of highest salary (actually, average of the highest three years of salary) as pension.

As a former non-law enforcement Federal retiree, I'll just say that 3@50 is not enough for the law enforcement officers I worked with. It's hard to quantify putting your life on the line day in, day out.
More like:
1.5% x high-3 x first five years of service
plus 1.75% x high-3 x next five years of service
plus 2.0% x high-3 x all years of service over 10

https://ask.fedweek.com/federal-reti...deral-annuity/

3% is very fair, for a job wherein you stake your lives on.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      06-17-2021, 09:50 PM   #3540
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
It's the equivalent of getting hit with a fast pitch softball (…but it's the size of a golf ball). It's considered lethal force if aimed/fired at the head.
Do you guys have to experience this pain, or is it word of mouth?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 10:38 PM   #3541
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

2.7@55 for battling computers
      06-17-2021, 11:31 PM   #3542
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Quote:
Do you guys have to experience this pain, or is it word of mouth?
It's observational AND watching what the rounds do to certain types of targets. One can extrapolate……
Appreciate 2
rwheels7066.50
mahalom3163.00