2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Thrust Arm Bushing Upgrade

11-13-2020, 12:51 AM   #45
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by $howtime456 View Post
yea i noticed those bolts strip easily.. missing one on each end of mines. Did the new bolts fix it?
It's not the bolts stripping. The metal hat you see at the top of the strut is what the bolts thread into, and it's the hat that's stripping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
I thought about doing that but I track my car and didn't want to compromise under intense situation on the track.
You might have an issue with helicoils, but timerserts are solid inserts. I'm fairly certain the frame where the struts bolt to would break before the inserts would. I've also seen some people source longer bolts, and thread them in from the bottom, and then weld them in place (kinda hard since it's aluminum) to form studs that they just thread nuts on to.
You're right the strut mount threads get stripped not the bolt. However they did update the bolt to a torxs. That clunky sound is gone now.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...s3-31306795151

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #46
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
I've also seen some people source longer bolts, and thread them in from the bottom, and then weld them in place (kinda hard since it's aluminum) to form studs that they just thread nuts on to.
That's how my coilovers are, a nice design. And one of the bolts stripped, it was like 5 bucks for 3 new bolts as you can remove them from the strut and replace them vs. replacing the whole hat.

So if the clunking noise is now gone does that mean you can tell us how you like the monoballs?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #47
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Quote:
I've also seen some people source longer bolts, and thread them in from the bottom, and then weld them in place (kinda hard since it's aluminum) to form studs that they just thread nuts on to.
That's how my coilovers are, a nice design. And one of the bolts stripped, it was like 5 bucks for 3 new bolts as you can remove them from the strut and replace them vs. replacing the whole hat.

So if the clunking noise is now gone does that mean you can tell us how you like the monoballs?
I need to put it it through it's paces before I have a well formed opinion on them. First quick impression and very noticeable affect is the steering is very responsive now. I think it will be even sharper once I replace my tires. I had put all seasons that slowed my steering response substantially and the new monoball thrust arms has improved that 100 percent. As for braking I need to flush my fluid. A lot of tracking has boiled my fluids so I can't say yet the improvement there. I already have koni adjustables and eibach street springs, but I did notice that nose dive has improved over what I already have. I don't have my shocks to full tight either when I'm on the streets. Once I replace the brake fluid with RB660 and Firehawk Indy 500 tires, I'll report back with an update.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #48
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Quote:
I need to put it it through it's paces before I have a well formed opinion on them. First quick impression and very noticeable affect is the steering is very responsive now. I think it will be even sharper once I replace my tires. I had put all seasons that slowed my steering response substantially and the new monoball thrust arms has improved that 100 percent. As for braking I need to flush my fluid. A lot of tracking has boiled my fluids so I can't say yet the improvement there. I already have koni adjustables and eibach street springs, but I did notice that nose dive has improved over what I already have. I don't have my shocks to full tight either when I'm on the streets. Once I replace the brake fluid with RB660 and Firehawk Indy 500 tires, I'll report back with an update.
Like it improves that numb feeling?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #49
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Good review so far, seems like it's a legit upgrade. At about 100 mph braking I get a shake, pretty sure it's my bushings. I need to do this.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #50
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Quote:
Like it improves that numb feeling?
Numb feeling is definitely improved on. The steering has way more feedback and turn-in on corners is sharp. I don't have my suspension to full tight and have almost balding tires and and it doesn't lean as much and improved the performance of my tires that need to be replaced. 100 percent worth the upgrade. In fact this was as noticeable as my rear sway upgrade. A difference you can feel. Totally worth the money and might as well do your strut mounts while your under there if it hasn't been done in a long time.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #51
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Good review so far, seems like it's a legit upgrade. At about 100 mph braking I get a shake, pretty sure it's my bushings. I need to do this.
Your vibrating can be warped tires, rims, bad bushings. Likely a bad thrust arm as that seems to be the most common on our cars beside rotors and brakes. Can't wait to replace my brake fluid with RB660 I already did the rotors and brakes since I was under there. Once that's done ill report back with braking improvments and then again when I update my tires. Then back to the track Dec 5th Fontana Speedway. Who's in?

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #52
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Quote:
Numb feeling is definitely improved on. The steering has way more feedback and turn-in on corners is sharp. I don't have my suspension to full tight and have almost balding tires and and it doesn't lean as much and improved the performance of my tires that need to be replaced. 100 percent worth the upgrade. In fact this was as noticeable as my rear sway upgrade. A difference you can feel. Totally worth the money and might as well do your strut mounts while your under there if it hasn't been done in a long time.
Nice thx for the review. This might be a stupid question, but as I was poking around how to remove the thrust arm, I saw I think the monoball kind of attached down in the frame behind a lot of trim. Did you remove all that trim to get that bolt or is there an easier way?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #53
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Quote:
Nice thx for the review. This might be a stupid question, but as I was poking around how to remove the thrust arm, I saw I think the monoball kind of attached down in the frame behind a lot of trim. Did you remove all that trim to get that bolt or is there an easier way?
Yes you have to remove the under trey and a few plastic pieces. Easy to do with a 8mm socket.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #54
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Ok took the car on a 50 mile road trip. Going freeway speeds and faster across some known choppy sections of the freeway with cornering, and now I can give my honest opinion.

The monoball thrust arms do not get easily upset. They kept my car composed over rough and bumpy sections at high speeds and held very straight lines in the cornering. Even with my suspension at full tight the car has never felt so solid. Like I mentioned, it doesn't get upset easily. I did take it to a speed where I began to feel the limits of the car but it's way up there. I have never drove an M5 but I'm guessing that's how my car now handles potentially better given my numerous other suspension upgrades.

My steering is super responsive, braking has 0 nose dive, rough patches in a straight line or cornering don't throw the car off its line, and it feels like a different/better handling car almost like a new car.

1000 percent worth the upgrade. It's could even be the number 1 upgrade to your car. The handling is next level when pushed or cruising.

Appreciate 2
      11-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #55
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Quote:
Ok took the car on a 50 mile road trip. Going freeway speeds and faster across some known choppy sections of the freeway with cornering, and now I can give my honest opinion.

The monoball thrust arms do not get easily upset. They kept my car composed over rough and bumpy sections at high speeds and held very straight lines in the cornering. Even with my suspension at full tight the car has never felt so solid. Like I mentioned, it doesn't get upset easily. I did take it to a speed where I began to feel the limits of the car but it's way up there. I have never drove an M5 but I'm guessing that's how my car now handles potentially better given my numerous other suspension upgrades.

My steering is super responsive, braking has 0 nose dive, rough patches in a straight line or cornering don't throw the car off its line, and it feels like a different/better handling car almost like a new car.

1000 percent worth the upgrade. It's could even be the number 1 upgrade to your car. The handling is next level when pushed or cruising.
now all we have to get is a 6266 for that track warrior!!!!
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #56
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

now all we have to get is a 6266 for that track warrior!!!!
It won't pass the California sniff test at smog. I already got flagged and had to go to a California certified smog ref for stored error codes! Some BS. They are way out of control here in Cali. You don't want the smog ref. What a PITA.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #57
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
It won't pass the California sniff test at smog. I already got flagged and had to go to a California certified smog ref for stored error codes! Some BS. They are way out of control here in Cali. You don't want the smog ref. What a PITA.
My smog guy said they don't do the sniff test anymore (didn't sniff our 2012 last week). Seems they just check for sensor failures.

They do do a visual inspection...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #58
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Quote:
im liking the bars!!!
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:03 PM   #59
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
My smog guy said they don't do the sniff test anymore (didn't sniff our 2012 last week). Seems they just check for sensor failures.

They do do a visual inspection...
Some guys do some don't. I have a guy whose doesn't.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #60
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
im liking the bars!!!
Thanks I got the from a form member here. All of them polished, but now I'm about to sell the strut tower.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 11:24 PM   #61
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
im liking the bars!!!
Thanks I got the from a form member here. All of them polished, but now I'm about to sell the strut tower.
Why selling the strut tower bar? Just put mine on a couple weeks ago
      11-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #62
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

I guess its just you and me with this upgrade at the moment in this forum. Isn't it crazy how just upgraded front bushing changes everything and reduce all the slop in the front. Would love to test the difference since you got mono and I have poly. It's definitely one of the top upgrade you must do on a F10. Thanks for the review.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #63
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
im liking the bars!!!
Why selling the strut tower bar? Just put mine on a couple weeks ago
I have adjustable shocks and and taking off the tower frequently will strip my mounts again.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #64
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
I have adjustable shocks and and taking off the tower frequently will strip my mounts again.
You could drill a hole through the strut bar mount and have a knob extender stick through. It's what I'm looking to do.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 12:27 AM   #65
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You could drill a hole through the strut bar mount and have a knob extender stick through. It's what I'm looking to do.
Good idea

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #66
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by top ramen View Post
I guess its just you and me with this upgrade at the moment in this forum. Isn't it crazy how just upgraded front bushing changes everything and reduce all the slop in the front. Would love to test the difference since you got mono and I have poly. It's definitely one of the top upgrade you must do on a F10. Thanks for the review.
I'm interested in the NVH on both options. I like things firm and connected but I'm not a 21" wheels, suspension-cranked-full-stiff kind of guy.
Appreciate 0