2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Thrust Arm Bushing Upgrade

12-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #89
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I completely forgot to mention in my video how much improved the brake pedal feel is... even more so than going with stainless steel brake lines.

Bmwdoubles_ have you noticed it's a bit harsher on the bumps? That would make sense as things stiffened up. It's noticeable, but nothing crazy or annoying... I guess this would be the only negative thing I would have to say but it's just a natural consequence and doesn't even come close to outweighing the benefits.

I'm excited to hear your thoughts Unspec.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #90
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
I completely forgot to mention in my video how much improved the brake pedal feel is... even more so than going with stainless steel brake lines.

Bmwdoubles_ have you noticed it's a bit harsher on the bumps? That would make sense as things stiffened up. It's noticeable, but nothing crazy or annoying... I guess this would be the only negative thing I would have to say but it's just a natural consequence and doesn't even come close to outweighing the benefits.

Still waiting for replacement bolts from FCP. Normally they ship very quickly but it's been close to a week now...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 11:32 PM   #91
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:

I have my konis adjusted to their tightest setting, ebiach street springs, M5 sways, and now the thrust arm upgrades so my harshness is going to be different than yours. However, the most notable things so far is percussion over uneven road at high speeds, meaning it keeps it line where before it was undulating. Now it just eats those bumps up. Braking under high speeds at the track is more precise and stabilizes the chasis.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 12:31 PM   #92
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

The roughness on uneven roads is what made me take off my H&R sway bars. It was too much for me to handle. I'm guessing this is much less impactful in that dynamic?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #93
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Sylverlee-
I actually have a similar set up as Bmwdoubles_:
BC Coilovers set to fairly stiff
H&R front and rear
Front Strut tower bar
and these Mono ball bushings

I just got my welder and I'm going to start chassis reinforcement similar to what these guys do: http://ultraracing.my/v1/ has.

So I think it's safe to say our goals are completely different. I have noticed since the mono balls that when I go over bumps the noise inside the cab is "sharper" which makes sense because I removed all play in a key part of the suspension. I'm now transferring more energy throughout the car vs. absorbing it. And please remember, I only have 18" wheels so I have plenty of tire to absorb things as well, I bet if I was on 19" or 20" it'd be even more noticeable.

I have no idea how this would impact your particular set up, but if H&R's were too much for you, maybe this would be too...? I don't know. Remember, there are always negative consequences for upgrades, in this case I do not mind them at all compared to the gain in handling, braking, and feel.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 1
Sylverlee150.00
      12-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #94
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep

Yeah I'm on M5 343 20's haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #95
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Was going to install these today, but FCP messed up my order and sent me a bolt instead of a nut for the thrust arm thru bolt. Waiting for it to come in now, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 05:31 PM   #96
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Was going to install these today, but FCP messed up my order and sent me a bolt instead of a nut for the thrust arm thru bolt. Waiting for it to come in now, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Do you not want to reuse because it's likely stretched?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 07:02 AM   #97
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
If you look at the BMW procedure, it calls for replacement of all of these fasteners. No one on YouTube does it for any of this work, but you're supposed to.

Personally, I will NEVER reuse anything with a torque + angle specification. They are single use and stretch. Lots of aluminum bolts on the car have only a torque spec but BMW still says to replace them any time they are removed.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #98
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Yep. The nut itself might not be stretched, but a lazy man works twice as hard. The bolt itself is a TTY bolt, and those almost always need to be replaced. I once reused a TTY bolt and it stripped out the threaded hole immediately, and ever since then I always replace the bolt and nut (if the nut is easy to get to).
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #99
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
BMW would also tell you not to install any aftermarket products, only OEM. So take it for what it is!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #100
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
BMW would also tell you not to install any aftermarket products, only OEM. So take it for what it is!
The ones that require an angle for final torque spec definitely need replacing. TTY bolts always need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #101
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Well, good news is that install was pretty much a breeze. The nut that Brow had a lot of trouble with I got out with some penetrating fluid and a 24inch breaker bar, but I also don't have as much mileage and live in NJ, so YMMV. I wasn't 100% sure which direction the spacers are supposed to face, but thin side in seemed to make the most sense so that is what I did (Edit: turned out to be correct as per Turner). Doing TTY bolts on jack stands sucks absolute ass. My shoulders still hurt from the awkward angles, definitely investing in a ratcheting breaker bar soon.

Bad news. xDrive. I came from a TL to the 535, so I've never not had a front axle before so it didn't even cross my mind that RWD's won't have this problem, and hence neglected to buy a replacement axle bolt. I tried finagling it out without moving the outer CV joint, but nope no way. You can see in picture two how little space there is, about a finger width. So I bit the bullet and removed it. So no driving impressions yet. Otherwise install was a breeze, but I heavily suggest having an electric ratchet for this. The main bolt is loooooooooong.
Attached Images

Last edited by Unspec; 04-20-2023 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 4
      12-13-2020, 09:32 PM   #102
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I am excited to hear about your driving impressions!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #103
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am excited to hear about your driving impressions!
Me too! :P

It'll be interesting, probably a little different than you and doubles. You guys have substantially more mileage than me, and are RWD. I'm AWD and only at 50k miles, and the arms I took out still have good bushings, no light shining through at all. I'm hoping that at the very least, high speed braking won't have that vibrating feel anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 05:51 AM   #104
kimoboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Is anyone going to upgrade the diff front and rear mount to Powerflex bushing.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #105
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimoboy View Post
Whenever I get around to doing my rear diff mount(s) I am planning on filling them with a diy urethane kit. I've used this kit before with good results: https://www.suspension.com/diymmi

I like to fill the OE mounts instead of a full replacement since you retain some rubber to dampen the NVH somewhat. Plus, it's not like any of us need solid mounts anyways since these are not dedicated drag cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #106
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegeezy View Post
Whenever I get around to doing my rear diff mount(s) I am planning on filling them with a diy urethane kit. I've used this kit before with good results: https://www.suspension.com/diymmi

I like to fill the OE mounts instead of a full replacement since you retain some rubber to dampen the NVH somewhat. Plus, it's not like any of us need solid mounts anyways since these are not dedicated drag cars.
Huh. Any downsides to filling? Or is it similar to new OE bushings?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 09:59 PM   #107
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I have ordered the powerflex street bushings. Hopefully next week I will do install.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #108
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Quote:
i have mines done. Big improvement!!
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #109
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
Now that I can confirm reducing deflection in the thrust arm has added a huge benefit I'm curious about caliper deflection. I check that the bearing isn't going by doing the shake the wheel test. Passed of course. Then I took the wheel off and shook the rotor to see if anything was loose there and I didn't notice the caliper moved a good amount. Coincidentally I ran across these on ECS and thought I might to try this before I go to the track. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...003326ecs01~a/
Are you going to do this Bmwdoubles_? I still have a slight shimmy on braking at like 120 but hell, it's 120. I was just curious if you are experiencing the same thing and that's why you were looking at this or if I just have something else going on....

$howtime456 what did you notice with this upgrade exactly?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 12:46 AM   #110
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
Now that I can confirm reducing deflection in the thrust arm has added a huge benefit I'm curious about caliper deflection. I check that the bearing isn't going by doing the shake the wheel test. Passed of course. Then I took the wheel off and shook the rotor to see if anything was loose there and I didn't notice the caliper moved a good amount. Coincidentally I ran across these on ECS and thought I might to try this before I go to the track. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...003326ecs01~a/
Are you going to do this Bmwdoubles_? I still have a slight shimmy on braking at like 120 but hell, it's 120. I was just curious if you are experiencing the same thing and that's why you were looking at this or if I just have something else going on....

$howtime456 what did you notice with this upgrade exactly?
Not going to do it. I read the pros and cons. Too much maintenance and the stock does an excellent job. Your shimmy at 120 could be several things. It could be caliper, rotors, both, worn suspension bushings, a multitude of things. Your tires could be old, they may need balancing or you might need road force balancing which is high speed balancing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0