2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 3G to 4/5G transition lost my "Real Time Traffic"

05-20-2021, 08:23 PM   #45
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonFH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabacrOne View Post
Looks like some people are getting notices via email or mail that their car is eligible for an upgrade. See F30 forum: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1823438

According to the FAQ, this upgrade will be free of charge. Has anyone with an F10 gotten something like this?
I just got my e-mail telling me my car is ineligible. It's a 2016 but has a MFR date Aug 24, 2015. 535D. Now I'm going to have to do some digging to see if I have a 3G or 4G commod. I'll be at the dealer soon enough and will start digging into it.

The e-mail did note that they are offering full connected drive services complimentary until Feb '22 for everyone capable of receiving them. I'm going to update my connected drive this afternoon and check if RTTI returns.
Mind sharing a screenshot of said email?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #46
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

Just got the same email about Connected Drive being Discontinued after February 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneQrtzPapi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonFH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabacrOne View Post
Looks like some people are getting notices via email or mail that their car is eligible for an upgrade. See F30 forum: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1823438

According to the FAQ, this upgrade will be free of charge. Has anyone with an F10 gotten something like this?
I just got my e-mail telling me my car is ineligible. It's a 2016 but has a MFR date Aug 24, 2015. 535D. Now I'm going to have to do some digging to see if I have a 3G or 4G commod. I'll be at the dealer soon enough and will start digging into it.

The e-mail did note that they are offering full connected drive services complimentary until Feb '22 for everyone capable of receiving them. I'm going to update my connected drive this afternoon and check if RTTI returns.
Mind sharing a screenshot of said email?
There are important ConnectedDrive service changes affecting your 2016 5 Series, Vehicle Identification Number ending in 9683.
The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.
As a result of the sunset of 3G service by wireless carrier partners, by February 2022 your vehicle will no longer be able to receive any ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services, such as BMW Assist eCall, Advanced Real‑Time Traffic Information, Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.
Unfortunately, for your vehicle, there is not a technology upgrade available that would allow you to continue to use ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services after the expiration of your contract, or February 2022, whichever occurs first.
For more details, please refer to the 3G Cellular Technology Discontinuation Frequently Asked Questions or contact BMW Customer Relations at 800‑831‑1117.
BMW ConnectedDrive
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2021, 06:05 PM   #47
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV3 View Post
There are important ConnectedDrive service changes affecting your 2016 5 Series, Vehicle Identification Number ending in 9683.
The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.
As a result of the sunset of 3G service by wireless carrier partners, by February 2022 your vehicle will no longer be able to receive any ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services, such as BMW Assist eCall, Advanced Real‑Time Traffic Information, Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.
Unfortunately, for your vehicle, there is not a technology upgrade available that would allow you to continue to use ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services after the expiration of your contract, or February 2022, whichever occurs first.
For more details, please refer to the 3G Cellular Technology Discontinuation Frequently Asked Questions or contact BMW Customer Relations at 800‑831‑1117.
BMW ConnectedDrive
Oh I thought it was more of a specific email stating that your specified vehicle was not eligible. This one seems to be pretty general and directed towards all F chassis cars 2016 & prior. I received this one too. Thanks for sharing it!
Appreciate 1
RJV343.50
      05-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #48
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

What's odd is that they listed the last four digits of my Vin which led me to believe the notification was indeed non specific. But if a retrofit is indeed possible, I would like to know.
Now wondering if I have to go the android head unit route and use Google maps or Waze which provides rtti.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 10:18 PM   #49
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I actually missed that; the last four of my VIN is listed in my email as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 07:07 PM   #50
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
My neighbor just bought an X5 (2018, IIRC) and "knows a guy" that has experience updating the comboxes. He's going to check with him and see if upgrading the combox to a 4G unit is feasible. I'll report what I find out.
Quoting myself...

Heard back. "His guy" said he believes there are 3 modules that will be needed to include the radio (HU?) and router to upgrade. He also feels BMW are working on an option that they have yet to announce. He is anxiously awaiting for a resolution. He has done the 2G to 3G combox upgrade. A member here (Grant?) posted a youtube about a combox upgrade; as has Kies Motorsports. I don't know if that was 2G to 3G or just a bluetooth upgrade.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #51
downsideuped
Registered
Rep

Losing 3G also means losing BMW Assist which includes the vehicle location monitoring, in case your car gets stolen. I get a discount on my insurance for having that feature, granted not much but still. I hope there is retofit option gets worked out soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #52
malachibx
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

I am outraged. I have a fully loaded 2015 x5 and use these features heavily. I noticed my realtime traffic was not working and like you called to inquire and was informed of the "sunsetting of 3g" effective February 2022. This would render my useless to me as I use the real time traffic, head us display features, calendar connectivity features on a daily basis. I expressed my concern and contacted the CEO's office to voice my opinion, they told my my car still works without the features. I was further outraged. This is a problem because I purchased my vehicle with the knowledge that I have these wonderful features. Can we start a class action?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #53
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachibx View Post
I am outraged. I have a fully loaded 2015 x5 and use these features heavily. I noticed my realtime traffic was not working and like you called to inquire and was informed of the "sunsetting of 3g" effective February 2022. This would render my useless to me as I use the real time traffic, head us display features, calendar connectivity features on a daily basis. I expressed my concern and contacted the CEO's office to voice my opinion, they told my my car still works without the features. I was further outraged. This is a problem because I purchased my vehicle with the knowledge that I have these wonderful features. Can we start a class action?
I seriously doubt any class action would succeed. What would you even be suing them for?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #54
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
.... What would you even be suing them for?
That BMW will upgrade some 2016's gratis, yet won't even offer the option of an owner-paid for upgrade. There is no difference between the 2014-2016 LCI F10's. They are also offering the upgrade to F30 owners.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 07:49 PM   #55
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
.... What would you even be suing them for?
That BMW will upgrade some 2016's gratis, yet won't even offer the option of an owner-paid for upgrade. There is no difference between the 2014-2016 LCI F10's. They are also offering the upgrade to F30 owners.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't certain models/chassis in 2016 have different iDrive systems compared to other 2016 models/chassis?

I had a 2016 M235i that had different software, if I'm remembering correctly, compared to my current 2016 535i.

For that reason, I can see why some are being updated while others aren't. I also half-assedly searched on Wiki (I know it's not the most reliable source) and it mentions something similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #56
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneQrtzPapi View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't certain models/chassis in 2016 have different iDrive systems compared to other 2016 models/chassis?

I had a 2016 M235i that had different software, if I'm remembering correctly, compared to my current 2016 535i.

For that reason, I can see why some are being updated while others aren't. I also half-assedly searched on Wiki (I know it's not the most reliable source) and it mentions something similar.
Fine. Why won't they let me buy the necessary hardware and install it?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:00 PM   #57
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but what would you be suing them for? They're not breaking any laws.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #58
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Remember that most if not all of the information we have on this (aside from the official BMW email) is all speculative and unverified call agent info, and we all know from other services/products how reliable that can be.

The 2016+ F10/F11s receiving any upgrade sound like BS to me because they share identical design and equipment. For OTHER Fxx series, it does make sense because BMW did switch over from NBT to NBT Evo during LCI production and that utilizes an ATM (cellular module) vs TCB (what F10/F11s have). I hope I'm wrong for all the 2016 F10-ers out there, but my guess is that call agents were mistaking F10 for other Fxx series when they made those upgrade comments.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #59
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
Remember that most if not all of the information we have on this (aside from the official BMW email) is all speculative and unverified call agent info, and we all know from other services/products how reliable that can be.
I got my info from my dealer. They contacted BMW directly. No upgrade possible.

Quote:
The 2016+ F10/F11s receiving any upgrade sound like BS to me because they share identical design and equipment. For OTHER Fxx series, it does make sense because BMW did switch over from NBT to NBT Evo during LCI production and that utilizes an ATM (cellular module) vs TCB (what F10/F11s have). I hope I'm wrong for all the 2016 F10-ers out there, but my guess is that call agents were mistaking F10 for other Fxx series when they made those upgrade comments.
That's my point. WHY (at this point) won't BMW let me pay for the hardware, coding and installation? How much can it be? $2K? $3K? Either way it's much less expensive than a new car when mine has many years of life left. This happened with our 2012 when they shut off 2G and BMW upgraded to 3G. IMHO this whole debacle could have been avoided as 4G came out here when, 2011 (2009 in Europe)? BMW HAD to know 3G would sunset in the near future. Why wasn't every vehicle from 2011 onward equipped with 4G? Cost per unit? That could have easily been recouped in the usual yearly price increase.

Having this happen TWICE in the span of 2 model years will most likely cause me to jump off of the BMW ship.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #60
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's my point. WHY (at this point) won't BMW let me pay for the hardware, coding and installation? How much can it be? $2K? $3K?...
If you're already an iPhone user, you're much better off going the NBT Evo retrofit. Some will argue, but the experience from Apple/Google Maps/Waze is folds better than BMW's maps with ConnectDrive. For ~$1,500, you'll have a much faster head unit, CarPlay, updated BMW nav (if you still want to use it), and a touchscreen. Having just done it, I would still go this route even if BMW did upgrade mine to 4G.

I know this doesn't answer your "why not" question, but at least there are alternatives out there if you're willing to spend some money.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 1
Beast27358.00
      07-14-2021, 02:47 PM   #61
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're already an iPhone user, you're much better off going the NBT Evo retrofit. Some will argue, but the experience from Apple/Google Maps/Waze is folds better than BMW's maps with ConnectDrive. For ~$1,500, you'll have a much faster head unit, CarPlay, updated BMW nav (if you still want to use it), and a touchscreen. Having just done it, I would still go this route even if BMW did upgrade mine to 4G.

I know this doesn't answer your "why not" question, but at least there are alternatives out there if you're willing to spend some money.
I'm not willing to give up RTTI or BMW Online, or ConnectedDrive. I use them all extensively. I hate touchscreens with their fingerprint-covered screens. I also use the NAV HUD display. Even though the info can be sporadic, it's very helpful to get obstacle warnings in the HUD. From my understanding, the EVO doesn't play well with the HUD. That's a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #62
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Does carplay show anything in the HUD?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 06:40 AM   #63
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
100% respect everyone's preferences and opinions. We're all made different and that's great. I wouldn't mind if CarPlay info displayed in HUD or my 6WB but I personally derive much greater value from cleaner maps, faster traffic updates (w/ hazard/cops info), 1000% faster and more accurate voice search, and basically all the rest of the goodies that CarPlay brings.

Out of curiosity, what do you use BMW Online or ConnectedDrive for? I feel like I missed out on something for the past 4 years.

Quote:
I'm not willing to give up RTTI or BMW Online, or ConnectedDrive. I use them all extensively. I hate touchscreens with their fingerprint-covered screens. I also use the NAV HUD display. Even though the info can be sporadic, it's very helpful to get obstacle warnings in the HUD. From my understanding, the EVO doesn't play well with the HUD. That's a deal breaker for me.

Just the name of the current song when you're scrolling through the playlist.

Quote:
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #64
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what do you use BMW Online or ConnectedDrive for? I feel like I missed out on something for the past 4 years.

When we're out and about, my wife likes to search for close-to-where-we-are businesses. I know most of you just use the phone, but my wife is stuck in the pre-PC days, so she just enters the business in the NAV. I use the CD mainly for the BMW app; I do not use, or need, the Concierge Service.

That's all the music info I currently get in the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:34 PM   #65
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
100% respect everyone's preferences and opinions. We're all made different and that's great. I wouldn't mind if CarPlay info displayed in HUD or my 6WB but I personally derive much greater value from cleaner maps, faster traffic updates (w/ hazard/cops info), 1000% faster and more accurate voice search, and basically all the rest of the goodies that CarPlay brings.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Which CarPlay system do you have? I thought upgrading to any new system would render HUD pretty much useless.

The way I understood it was HUD's turn by turn directions & music info would be eliminated and the HUD would only display the car's speed once upgraded.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 02:05 PM   #66
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

Disappointed. Ventilation feature was my favorite. Still have 3 ConnectedDrive subscriptions that do not expire until 2024.
Appreciate 0