2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications NEW 550i

05-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
Dajahrim19
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

NEW 550i

Hi so I just got a 550i Ik oil leaks are a problem with the n63 engine but I'm looking to make my engine more stronger and last can anyone recommend me anything I should get replaced I'm already in the process of getting new ignition coils and spark plugs and a new high pressure fuel pump but I don't really know what else to do because I do plan on getting a tune or turbocharger and coil overs also on my list but if anyone can help me replace things that would be overall good for the car like any bolts or parts please just let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 07:27 AM   #2
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M Sport 6M

Pre TU N63 could make use of an oil analysis immediately. Then, the bearings on Pre TU seize with some consistency from the original OCI coupled with burning oil from the Valve stem seals.

Preventatively changing bearings on a pre TU N63 would have spared my N63 which I got 800 miles out of lol.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

I have an x5 with the original n63 with 170k miles. It's tuned (ESS tune, downpipes, jb4, stock turbos) and runs 4.1sec 0-60 (3.9 1foot) and it would be a 3.7 sec if not for transmission. X5 weights almost 1000lbs more then F10. Say what you want about the n63, but if you correct the mistakes BMW made, it's a damn strong engine.

Do everything you mentioned. Change oil immediately to liqui moly leichtlauf 5w40. Also add 1.5 can ceratec, oil changes every 5k miles, no exceptions.

Also change cylinder head to cylinder head coolant line, replace plastic T in that line with stainless steel T to make bullet proof. Replace plastic Ts in turbo coolant lines with stainless steel also.

Replace lower CCV lines, they always crack after 60k.

Check your injectors, make sure they are index 12.

Jump on bmw recall website, make sure all fixes have been done to your engine.

Install oil catch cans, several different ways to do this, many posts about it through all of the forums, I have made several threads about it. If you decide to do it my way, which is pretty hardcore, as I add adjustable vacuum pressure valves to adjust crankcase vacuum which greatly reduces oil leaks and improves oil quality. Original CCV system is absolutely dog shit, causes oil dilution issues and premature failed bearings as mention above. My rear main seal was leaking until I installed the vacuum regulators and adjusted CC vacuum to negative 10psi. BMW stock CC vacuum is less then neg 0.9psi and stock check valves always fail, which means you pressurize your crank case under boost, pushing oil out all of your seals. I have zero oil leaks now at 170k. Can not emphasize enough how absolutely horrible the stock CCV system is. Message me if you have any questions.

Be ready for valves stem seals replacement around 100k miles of they have not been done yet already. Adding catch cans and increasing crank case vacuum can extend this but eventually all n63's will need this. Original seals were junk.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 05-22-2021 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
AlexL4.50
      05-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I have an x5 with the original n63 with 170k miles. It's tuned (ESS tune, downpipes, jb4, stock turbos) and runs 4.1sec 0-60 (3.9 1foot) and it would be a 3.7 sec if not for transmission. X5 weights almost 1000lbs more then F10. Say what you want about the n63, but if you correct the mistakes BMW made, it's a damn strong engine.

Do everything you mentioned. Change oil immediately to liqui moly leichtlauf 5w40. Also add 1.5 can ceratec, oil changes every 5k miles, no exceptions.

Also change cylinder head to cylinder head coolant line, replace plastic T in that line with stainless steel T to make bullet proof. Replace plastic Ts in turbo coolant lines with stainless steel also.

Install oil catch cans, several different ways to do this, many posts about it through all of the forums, I have made several threads about it. If you decide to do it my way, which is pretty hardcore, as I add adjustable vacuum pressure valves to adjust crankcase vacuum which greatly reduces oil leaks and improves oil quality. Original CCV system is absolutely dog shit, causes oil dilution issues and premature failed bearings as mention above. My rear main seal was leaking until I installed the vacuum regulators and adjusted CC vacuum to negative 10psi. BMW stock CC vacuum is less then neg 0.9psi and stock check valves always fail, which means you pressurize your crank case under boost, pushing oil out all of your seals. I have zero oil leaks now at 170k. Can not emphasize enough how absolutely horrible the stock CCV system is. Message me if you have any questions.

Be ready for valves stem seals replacement around 100k miles of they have not been done yet already. Adding catch cans and increasing crank case vacuum can extend this but eventually all n63's will need this. Original seals were junk.
Dude, your name says it all. Nice advice! You made me want to get one of these.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 05:44 PM   #5
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

Everyone without an actual n63 will post crap about you needing rob bearings etc....i dont have a 550i anymore, moved on to m5, but dont listen to alm their crap. 535i owners just wish they had your tourque lol.

Oi lm change, sparks plugs, maybe coils of needed, filters and fluids.

Dont over complicate it. Just change the oil every 4k and ignore the 535i owners
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #6
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherM View Post
Everyone without an actual n63 will post crap about you needing rob bearings etc....i dont have a 550i anymore, moved on to m5, but dont listen to alm their crap. 535i owners just wish they had your tourque lol.

Dont over complicate it. Just change the oil every 4k and ignore the 535i owners
I was actually being sincere but whatever. Lol I have owned several BMW's including M's and I love them all. No need to be so defensive.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #7
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:

Original N63 with 170k, wow!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:47 PM   #8
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:

Yes, because it was our envy that created an entire class action lawsuit that BMW settled (Bang v. BMW, with further class actions proposed/recommended) and the Customer Care Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 10:20 PM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

As pointed out by other users, there was a early recall on these engines due to a class action lawsuit. Nearly every single issue with the N63 (besides the very first production units timing chain issues) can be traced down to one cause: Heat.

Thermal management for the N63 is atrocious. From poor heat shield design, high temp thermostat, to extreme operating temps, to BMW's fear to use the cooling fan, the N63 will bake the piss out of all the plastic and rubber bits under the hood in short order. Below are some pics of the heat shielding I added for anyone interested. Not only did it drastically reduce underhood temps, but it also increased how quickly the turbos spooled as it effectively wrapped the turbos is a thermal barrier, creating a turbo-blanket like effect. I also recommend installing the 90C thermostat to help lower engine temps.

Exhaust wrap: https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine.../dp/B01AH8X3H6

Heat Shield: https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine.../dp/B00YJERW40
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 05-24-2021 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
AlexL4.50
      05-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #10
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
As pointed out by other users, there was a early recall on these engines due to a class action lawsuit. Nearly every single issue with the N63 (besides the very first production units timing chain issues) can be traced down to one cause: Heat.

Thermal management for the N63 is atrocious. From poor heat shield design, high temp thermostat, to extreme operating temps, to BMW's fear to use the cooling fan, the N63 will bake the piss out of all the plastic and rubber bits under the hood in short order. Below are some pics of the heat shielding I added for anyone interested. Not only did it drastically reduce underhood temps, but it also increased how quickly the turbos spooled as it effectively wrapped the turbos is a thermal barrier, creating a turbo-blanket like effect. I also recommend installing the 90C thermostat to help lower engine temps.

Nicely done.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #11
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Great idea. Thanks for sharing. Luckily another year with no turbo oil line leaks on my N63tu but definitely replacing them as precautionary measure next year. Definitely gonna follow your lead here with the shielding.

Quote:

2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 08:32 PM   #12
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:

The amount of money you have to put in the n63 I can have a built n55 motor with single top mount turbo and slap n63 left and right all day long. Specially with new pure 800 around the corner (not top mount but still). You can argue that you can build n63 motor as well but overall long term n55 1000whp capable engine with all tunes and shit worked out would still cost less. And use extra money to upgrade transmission to handle all that extra power.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #13
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
The amount of money you have to put in the n63 I can have a built n55 motor with single top mount turbo and slap n63 left and right all day long. Specially with new pure 800 around the corner (not top mount but still). You can argue that you can build n63 motor as well but overall long term n55 1000whp capable engine with all tunes and shit worked out would still cost less. And use extra money to upgrade transmission to handle all that extra power.
I suppose that is fine for the owners who want to drive a modified car.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #14
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
I suppose that is fine for the owners who want to drive a modified car.
Nothing wrong with a modified car if it is built to handle all the power. It's like having a m5 power capable engine; just you built one out for your self minus the problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 09:57 PM   #15
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Nothing wrong with a modified car if it is built to handle all the power. It's like having a m5 power capable engine; just you built one out for your self minus the problems.
I would say your opinion, would be pretty biased on this topic.
Although, i have a really hard time buying that a modified 535 would ever live up to an m5.

Last edited by AnotherM; 06-08-2021 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #16
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
I would say your opinion, would be pretty biased on this topic.
Although, i have a really hard time buying that a modified 535 would ever live up to an m5.
I only talk about power... not overall car... I would also have m5 over 535i but now a modified single turbo precision is a game changer. Couple years ago I would have said no way on 535i but things have changed recently.

Last edited by ziekxq; 06-08-2021 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #17
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
535's can put down 500-600wtq and roughly the same HP on a hybrid turbo, fuel mods and a tune. It can definitely compete with a stock m5. Now, compared to a FBO and tuned m5 and that is probably another story.

Dollar per HP cost is way less expensive on a 535 and we have seen on this forum people running that setup above for 10's of thousands of miles so it's very dependable as well. There are pluses and minuses on all sides. I personally lean toward the $/dllr argument and if I had to pay for a modified m5 I would probably invest in something else. Why did I modify my 535? Cause you mod what you own, it's just what people do. I would have loved to get a 335is but needed 5 seats and found mine car at a steal. 14.500 6sp with only 82k miles on it.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 06:36 PM   #18
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
535's can put down 500-600wtq and roughly the same HP on a hybrid turbo, fuel mods and a tune. It can definitely compete with a stock m5. Now, compared to a FBO and tuned m5 and that is probably another story.

Dollar per HP cost is way less expensive on a 535 and we have seen on this forum people running that setup above for 10's of thousands of miles so it's very dependable as well. There are pluses and minuses on all sides. I personally lean toward the $/dllr argument and if I had to pay for a modified m5 I would probably invest in something else. Why did I modify my 535? Cause you mod what you own, it's just what people do. I would have loved to get a 335is but needed 5 seats and found mine car at a steal. 14.500 6sp with only 82k miles on it.

At the end of the day we all get to rationalize our decisions to ourselves however we want. I bought a 2016 m5 because i loved the way it looked and all of the stock performance it brought. I was tired of a modified 550i or really modified cars in general. The daily drievability is always sacrificed to an extent when modifying. I just wanted a fast car from the factory that had all of the amenities of a luxury car.

Also, i dont think comparing a 600whp 535 to an m5 is a fair comparison unless your talking only a drag race and thats not really a fair comparison. The m5 is a lot more than a fast 1/4 mile car.

Last edited by AnotherM; 06-09-2021 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #19
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post

At the end of the day we all get to rationalize our decisions to ourselves however we want. I bought a 2016 m5 because i loved the way it looked and all of the stock performance it brought. I was tired of a modified 550i or really modified cars in general. The daily drievability is always sacrificed to an extent when modifying. I just wanted a fast car from the factory that had all of the amenities of a luxury car.

Also, i dont think comparing a 600whp 535 to an m5 is a fair comparison unless your talking only a drag race and thats not really a fair comparison. The m5 is a lot more than a fast 1/4 mile car.
I follow your logic and agree with it however because I work on my own car I will have less than 20k into my 535 and I will be able to hang in handling and performance with a stock m5 if not better. That's full suspension, sub frame supports, turbo fuel, etc.

I paid 1450 for my turbo used and it is normally a 3k dollar kit, plus I could sell my stock one if I wanted to make some money back. To me it is all about the economics of it all and the journey and learning along the way. Knowing I built it, I conquered it, I did it, vs just slapping down cash. Totally different mentality. Many m5 owners would not do what I am doing lol. Lift in the garage and grease under the nails.

My neighbor has an m5 comp and he won't even wave or look me in the eyes - I know more about his car than he does lol

I got nothing against anyone cause it's all about being into whatever you are into. Next project is my e30 m3 replica with an n54 xdrive swap.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0