2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 - SLI Retrofit (Emulator) - SUCCESS!

06-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 530 D M-Sport

F10 - SLI Retrofit (Emulator) - SUCCESS!

I thought I would share a success story following the installation of an SLI emulator into my F10, apologies of this subject been covered before! – I am in the UK.

I purchased the SLI emulator that is in the photos, I saw a Youtube video that someone in the US had great success with. The emulator allows you to set specifics for your region, in my case this was Euro signs, MPH and F model (the emulator also will to G models)

The tooling provided allowed for really easy removal of the instrument cluster, the only challenge I had was my car has electric memory seats which also controls the steering column/wheel position so when I turned off the ignition the steering wheel went to a high “easy access” position so this made it awkward to get the cluster out, so left the ignition on so I could move the wheel as far out and down as I could until I got the cluster out and then turned off the ignition before pulling the cluster plug.

I installed the emulator (it has double sided sticky pad) on the BMW symbol on the back of cluster next to the cluster label (see pic) and took my time putting the cluster back in it needs to go in from the bottom then the top clicks back into place really easy.

I then coded the KOMBI and HU_NBT using Bimmercode according to the emulators manufacturers website I didn’t have some of the variables but coded up the rest.

SUCCESS! it worked straight away showing up in the cluster after selecting SLI from the BC (I have a 6WA cluster) with the right speed limit for where I was. I think I have the latest map data for my region (see pic) so this helped.

I did a quick run out and the limit changes instantly (almost as I passed the limit signs) so appears very accurate, in a car park where there was no limit it just shows “---” (see pic). I am so impressed for such little money a really simple upgrade.

Only issue is SLI does not appear in the HUD (I have selected it in the HUD menu) but it doesn’t show up, perhaps I missed a code I will check, its not the end of the world though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 02:21 AM   #2
Bounceme
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2016 F11 520d LCI

Very nice.
Where did you buy this?
Rgs Allan
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 02:59 AM   #3
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounceme View Post
Very nice.
Where did you buy this?
Rgs Allan
Alan,

I ordered it from US e-bay, it took less than a week to come.

The manufacturer site is www.bimmer8.com, the e-bay link is on their page, looks like there are a few left!

Also to confirm you need to have a 6WA instrument cluster (this has the lcd part right across the bottom of the panel including the Rev counter) or the full 6WB lcd panel. The basic panel is not supported according to the manufacturer.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
Bounceme
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2016 F11 520d LCI

I do have 6WA, but no HUD.
Does it work without HUD?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounceme View Post
I do have 6WA, but no HUD.
Does it work without HUD?
I assume so as the HUD coding is separate and the emulator works with the cluster (KOMBI) but check the website to be sure.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 02:18 AM   #6
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

SLI in HUD working!

All,

I found why the SLI is not showing up in the HUD, there were a couple more lines that needed coding for my car LCI F series car, interestingly these are highlighted for coding for the G Series car on the Manufacturers website, but not the F series.

These were the additional lines I coded in KOMBI using Bimmercode to make it work.

HUD_PIA_SPEED_LIM = aktiv
HUD_SLI_ENABLE = aktiv

The only line I didn't have in my car KOMBI was ANZEIGE_NPI so could not code this (both lines required in the HU_NBT were coded), also I ran ISTA+ to check for the potential E1149E error mentioned on the website but I did not get this fault code and of course selected "Limit Info" in the HUD set-up in the I-Drive (see pic)

I couldn't get a descent picture of the SLI in the HUD, but it shows up to the left of the speed in the HUD.

Sorted!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 07:25 PM   #7
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

I just did the same install yesterday on my F10. I have the 6wB cluster with heads up display and ran into a similar problem as you did where certain lines of code were not found in Kombi. I ended up searching through all the menus for the lines of code needed and ultimate found what I needed. Very nice mod indeed.
Question, when you go over the speed limit, do you see the posted speed limit sign flashing to indicate you're over the limit or does it stay stagnant?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:41 AM   #8
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi RJV3

I am pretty sure the posted speed limit sign does not flash, I don't think it would if the car had SLI from the factory either but not sure.

On a couple of separate notes
1) I have not managed to see any second symbol like "No overtaking" or the like, perhaps my map data does not have it or I have not been on a road with such a warning, have you had any?

2) On the 6WB cluster you have do you have a redline arc between the posted speed limit and the current needle position?, the manufacturer indicated this would show on the 6WB cluster (see pic).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #9
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern321 View Post
Hi RJV3

I am pretty sure the posted speed limit sign does not flash, I don't think it would if the car had SLI from the factory either but not sure.

On a couple of separate notes
1) I have not managed to see any second symbol like "No overtaking" or the like, perhaps my map data does not have it or I have not been on a road with such a warning, have you had any?

2) On the 6WB cluster you have do you have a redline arc between the posted speed limit and the current needle position?, the manufacturer indicated this would show on the 6WB cluster (see pic).
1) Confirmed. I do get those notifications. Usually pops up when traveling on on and off ramps.

2) Confirmed here as well. I see the red ark line indicating how fast over the speed limit I am traveling.

On a seperate note. Are you able to get your turn signals on your HUD? I see plenty of you tube videos showing how to do this, but it never works for me in Bimmercode. Can't figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #10
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Turn signals in HUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV3 View Post
1) Confirmed. I do get those notifications. Usually pops up when traveling on on and off ramps.

2) Confirmed here as well. I see the red ark line indicating how fast over the speed limit I am traveling.

On a seperate note. Are you able to get your turn signals on your HUD? I see plenty of you tube videos showing how to do this, but it never works for me in Bimmercode. Can't figure it out.
Also to confirm I get the "no overtaking" symbol on on and off ramps but that's about the only time they display.

Regarding the Turn signals in the HUD, this is not something I have tried, but doing a little research it looks like its the KOMBI and HU_NBT need to be coded (like for SLI). I assume using expert mode in Bimmercode (or E-SYS), the examples I saw were with HU_CIC, but I checked my HU_NBT CAFD and the function line is the same.

Thus as follows:

HU_NBT : HUD_TURNSIGNAL: aktive = 01 (default is nicht_aktive 00)
KOMBI L6 BO: BLINKER_HUD_ENABLE: active=01 (default is nicht_aktive 00)

Also, Must Enable "Turn indicator" Checkbox in Settings=>Heads-Up Display to work (same as for the SLI to display in the HUD)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 05:31 PM   #11
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Thanks vern. I'll check that out this weekend and see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #12
jamesBebby
Rep
Drives: Bmw F11

Abit off topic but has anyone of you guys tried there ‘ BMW HOD Emulator - Traffic Jam Assist(TJA)’
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 03:41 PM   #13
cengizsoner
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

Hahaha Very nice
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #14
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengizsoner View Post
Hahaha Very nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cengizsoner View Post
Hahaha Very nice
Shame I don't have the KAFAS camera, this TJA retrofit looks good.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 12:47 AM   #15
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Also to confirm I get the "no overtaking" symbol on on and off ramps but that's about the only time they display.

Regarding the Turn signals in the HUD, this is not something I have tried, but doing a little research it looks like its the KOMBI and HU_NBT need to be coded (like for SLI). I assume using expert mode in Bimmercode (or E-SYS), the examples I saw were with HU_CIC, but I checked my HU_NBT CAFD and the function line is the same.

Thus as follows:

Also, Must Enable "Turn indicator" Checkbox in Settings=>Heads-Up Display to work (same as for the SLI to display in the HUD)
I checked in normal and expert mode and both of those options are checked for me, but still no turn signal in HUD for me. Still troubleshooting. Still loving the SLI mod

EDIT: Just found out the turn signal in HUD is not compatible with 6wb digital cluster.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 02:47 AM   #16
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thus as follows:

I checked in normal and expert mode and both of those options are checked for me, but still no turn signal in HUD for me. Still troubleshooting. Still loving the SLI mod

EDIT: Just found out the turn signal in HUD is not compatible with 6wb digital cluster.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thus as follows:

Oh that's interesting that turn signals in the HUD are not compatible with 6WB, I'll see if it works with the 6WA at some point in case folks want this feature with 6WA.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #17
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

I've seen many post and some YouTube videos showing the turn signals in the HUD with a 6WA cluster. Just nothing for 6wb. Not sure why it'd an issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:09 PM   #18
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I've seen many post and some YouTube videos showing the turn signals in the HUD with a 6WA cluster. Just nothing for 6wb. Not sure why it'd an issue.
I used to have turn signal in HUD with 6WA and it is gone with 6WB cluster and from everything I have read, it is not possible to make jt work with 6WB
If someone knows otherwise, please let me know.
Appreciate 1
RJV343.50
      01-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #19
W412WCK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Do I need this Module on M5?

Quote:
Alan,

I ordered it from US e-bay, it took less than a week to come.

The manufacturer site is www.bimmer8.com, the e-bay link is on their page, looks like there are a few left!

Also to confirm you need to have a 6WA instrument cluster (this has the lcd part right across the bottom of the panel including the Rev counter) or the full 6WB lcd panel. The basic panel is not supported according to the manufacturer.

Regards
Just looked on their website and they do have some cool stuff. Since I have the KADAS and HUD installed, can I just activate it without this part.

Also I had to chuckle on their site at the below, they obviously have really good Quanlity items.

Bimmer8 has a 3H quality policy for every product:High Performance、High Safety、High Quanlity.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 05:57 AM   #20
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W412WCK View Post
Just looked on their website and they do have some cool stuff. Since I have the KADAS and HUD installed, can I just activate it without this part.

Also I had to chuckle on their site at the below, they obviously have really good Quanlity items.

Bimmer8 has a 3H quality policy for every product:High Performance、High Safety、High Quanlity.
If you have the KAFAS Camera then I thought SLI should work by default, but I assume you would also need Pro NAV (Widscreen) Navigation data/Maps for when the KAFAS camera cannot read road signs but I am not sure. I have the attached the exact coding (using Bimmercode) I did on my F10 to get the emulator to work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 07:46 AM   #21
Blue Angel
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

My North American 2016 F10 has speed limit info and I always thought it used the KAFAS camera to read speed limit signs. Are you saying this option is map-based, or is it always map-based?

My car updates speed limit info even in temporary speed zones like construction zones etc. and the speed limit changes right after passing the sign. This would have to be using the camera, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 05:03 PM   #22
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
My North American 2016 F10 has speed limit info and I always thought it used the KAFAS camera to read speed limit signs. Are you saying this option is map-based, or is it always map-based?

My car updates speed limit info even in temporary speed zones like construction zones etc. and the speed limit changes right after passing the sign. This would have to be using the camera, no?
There are KAFAS and KAFAS2. If your vehicle have KAFAS, it will not display SLI. That camera will not read road signs. If you have KAFAS2, it will read road signs and display SLI. It will also read construction zone speed limit and update as well. When you are driving in a zone that does not have a speed limit posted for the camera to read, it will pull SLI from your road map.

For those that have KAFAS, you can upgrade to KAFAS2 by switching out the camera and module then code it. Some vehicles already have KAFAS2 and will only need to do coding.
Appreciate 0