2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Removing Carpet

09-12-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
cheesefries
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP

Removing Carpet

Hello- asking for a friend. 2011 535i there was some water on the rear passenger floor and a little in the front passenger. This was after Ida, parked on the street, water did not get high on the street it was parked at. Wondering if there are any places in NYC that specialize in detailing, to remove carpet and clean the water and carpet?
alternatively if there are any instructions for DIY.
thanks
      09-20-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefries View Post
Hello- asking for a friend. 2011 535i there was some water on the rear passenger floor and a little in the front passenger. This was after Ida, parked on the street, water did not get high on the street it was parked at. Wondering if there are any places in NYC that specialize in detailing, to remove carpet and clean the water and carpet?
thanks
I had water in my rear foot wells from failing door panel membrane adhesive. I pulled both front and rear seats out and suspended the carpet with some rope tied to the rear ceiling grab handles. This allowed the carpet to drain, shop vacuum the water, and place fans in the car to facilitate drying. None of it is difficult, but take your time or you’ll break or scratch things when removing seats and trim pieces.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 10:02 PM   #3
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefries View Post
thanks
Removing the carpet is not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

The rear section is easy, once you remove the front seats, rear seat cushion, center console, the bass speakers, the B-pillar lower trim, and the door sill plastic trim.

The front carpet runs under the HVAC distribution assembly, and that requires unhooking the evaporator and heater lines after you've removed the dashboard, and the dashboard frame....or you can cut the carpet....but still requires the center console to be removed, the front seats the B-pillar lower trim, the kick panel trim pieces, and the bass speakers. BTW, the foam under the carpet it pretty thick and is NOT easy to cut either.

Your best bet is leave everything intact and use a powerful shop-vac and then leave the car out in the Sun for a day or two, followed by finding and fixing the source of your water ingress.

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 09-20-2021 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0