2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Dinan Exhaust

01-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 N55 - EWG

Dinan Exhaust

I'm considering going with a Dinan axleback and a cat less downpipe. However I haven't heard any videos or sound clips with this combo. Somewhat concerned this combo will be too loud for my neighbors.

Does any one have a sound clip of this combo, all I can find online is just Dinans product video?

Will this be too loud for a townhome complex?

With the cold start delete will it be quiet enough when I leave early?

Should I just go with downpipe and stock exhaust?
      01-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

You should go catless downpipe with m performance exhaust. Unless dinan is quad tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
You should go catless downpipe with m performance exhaust. Unless dinan is quad tips.
Any reason why?

Dinan is dual, single tips just like the M-Performance exhaust. Quad tips don't really matter to me. They look nice, sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialmountain View Post
Any reason why?

Dinan is dual, single tips just like the M-Performance exhaust. Quad tips don't really matter to me. They look nice, sure.
MPE cheaper (dont pay for overpriced dinan) and sound really nice, somehow mine says made in UK so not sure if there are different variant of MPE exhaust.

I have catless dp with mpe exhaust and get compliments on exhaust all the time.

I can try to make new video of cold start/rev sounds for you if like.

Oh, and it wont be too loud unless you delete resonator but cold start is loud for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
MPE cheaper (dont pay for overpriced dinan) and sound really nice, somehow mine says made in UK so not sure if there are different variant of MPE exhaust.

Oh, and it wont be too loud unless you delete resonator but cold start is loud for sure.
Thanks for the offer - there are plenty of videos and sound clips for MPE on youtube though. I plan to keep the resonators.

I found a cheap used Dinan exhaust and even new it is about the same price as an MPE. I also like the way the chunky mufflers look.

Just worried about cold-start as you said. I have to drive past 15 different townhomes on the way out of my community at 6AM and don't want to start an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the offer - there are plenty of videos and sound clips for MPE on youtube though. I plan to keep the resonators.

I found a cheap used Dinan exhaust and even new it is about the same price as an MPE. I also like the way the chunky mufflers look.

Just worried about cold-start as you said. I have to drive past 15 different townhomes on the way out of my community at 6AM and don't want to start an issue.
Lol, if you getting dinan for cheap then go for it. I am pretty sure they are in similiar range sound wise. I can record cold start sound for you. I understsnd there are bunch of videos out there but did you find a video with mpe + catless dp or dinan with catless dp only? mine is mpe + catless dp and resonator still intact. Another thing you can do is get cold start delete but that is only if you get ecu flash done using mhd or some source.

Last edited by ziekxq; 01-15-2019 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Lol, if you getting dinan for cheap then go for it. I am pretty sure they are in similiar range sound wise. I can record cold start sound for you... mine is mpe + catless dp and resonator still intact. Another thing you can do is get cold start delete but that is only if you get ecu flash done using mhd or some source.
If I did the downpipe, the cold start delete would be flashed at the same time.

With cold start deleted do you feel that just slowly driving creates a noise loud enough to hear inside someones home?

I come from having louder cars: LS'd rx7, swapped subarus and 350z/g37's. Trying to keep this one on the tamer side.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
If I did the downpipe, the cold start delete would be flashed at the same time.

With cold start deleted do you feel that just slowly driving creates a noise loud enough to hear inside someones home?

I come from having louder cars: LS'd rx7, swapped subarus and 350z/g37's. Trying to keep this one on the tamer side.
If you get cold start delete and drive around 30mph it wont sound loud at all.

In the morning during winter it is loud for me at cold start then it settles down and then only get loud if I push it. You will be fine, these exhausts with catless dp arent crazy loud. I didnt wanted crazy loud exhaust thats why I went with my current setup. But they are louder in sports mode
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you get cold start delete and drive around 30mph it wont sound loud at all.

In the morning during winter it is loud for me at cold start then it settles down and then only get loud if I push it. You will be fine, these exhausts with catless dp arent crazy loud. I didnt wanted crazy loud exhaust thats why I went with my current setup. But they are louder in sports mode
Concern isn't at 30mph, it's at 5mph through the complex.

Good to hear that its not crazy loud.

Surprised you say it's louder in sport mode. 535's don't have valves that open to be louder in sport mode. Only 550 and M5 do.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #10
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:

Surprised you say it's louder in sport mode. 535's don't have valves that open to be louder in sport mode. Only 550 and M5 do.
Yeah it is not crazy loud but that is what is weird... in sports mode it sounds completely different and I was wondering what causes the sound to get louder. If I can figure that out and code it to sound like that in D mode that would be awesome lol.

Also, it is not just that sound gets louder but the tone of the exhaust changes too.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #11
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:

The cold start program is cancelled when you demand power from the engine. As I posted somewhere else yesterday, when I have my PE installed and I need quieter cold start I "two foot" while I'm waiting in the driveway for my garage door to finish closing. Pressing the accelerator slightly immediately stops the cold start roar and you're left with normal MPE idling sound. I discovered this by accident when leaving congested commuter lots at the end of the day with the engine running cold start program. It was roaring in my parking spot, and when I pulled ahead it got quiet, at the end of the aisle ROAR, move ahead quiet, stop sign ROAR etc...

The deep sounds from MPE at any temperature and RPM <2500 can be heard inside residences as it penetrates the walls pretty easily. It is not objectionable, and there are worse stock exhausts on other cars, pickup trucks and things like delivery trucks.

If you were to start up and begin driving, perhaps using M2 or M3 instead of D while you left the complex (unless you drive 6MT) your noise level will probably be tolerated just fine. If you're trying to sneak out at 3am and especially if your neighbours sleep with windows open - you're outta luck no matter what you do. Stick with stock then.

Right now I have my MPE installed summers only. If I can't drive windows down etc... I find the cons (loud startup, highway drone) outweigh the pros. When the warm weather arrives again, I feel like putting the MPE back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #12
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
The cold start program is cancelled when you demand power from the engine. As I posted somewhere else yesterday, when I have my PE installed and I need quieter cold start I "two foot" while I'm waiting in the driveway for my garage door to finish closing. Pressing the accelerator slightly immediately stops the cold start roar and you're left with normal MPE idling sound. I discovered this by accident when leaving congested commuter lots at the end of the day with the engine running cold start program. It was roaring in my parking spot, and when I pulled ahead it got quiet, at the end of the aisle ROAR, move ahead quiet, stop sign ROAR etc...

The deep sounds from MPE at any temperature and RPM <2500 can be heard inside residences as it penetrates the walls pretty easily. It is not objectionable, and there are worse stock exhausts on other cars, pickup trucks and things like delivery trucks.

If you were to start up and begin driving, perhaps using M2 or M3 instead of D while you left the complex (unless you drive 6MT) your noise level will probably be tolerated just fine. If you're trying to sneak out at 3am and especially if your neighbours sleep with windows open - you're outta luck no matter what you do. Stick with stock then.

Right now I have my MPE installed summers only. If I can't drive windows down etc... I find the cons (loud startup, highway drone) outweigh the pros. When the warm weather arrives again, I feel like putting the MPE back on.
Thank you for your experience with the exhaust. During the summer the neighbors windows are open most of the time.

Makes me highly reconsider getting the Dinan exhaust even though I would enjoy hearing the exhaust note.

Do you have a catless/catted downpipe installed in conjunction with the MPE during the summer?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
ziekxq
Major
Rep

The cold start last like 15 seconds and it is only loud in the winter time.... summer time it is loud but not crazy loud like in winter. On top if you are getting cold start delete anyways then there is no worries.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #14
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Thank you for your experience with the exhaust. During the summer the neighbors windows are open most of the time.

Makes me highly reconsider getting the Dinan exhaust even though I would enjoy hearing the exhaust note.

Do you have a catless/catted downpipe installed in conjunction with the MPE during the summer?
Dinan will probably be very similar.

Fully stock other than MPE.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Dinan axle back with catless downpipe sounds good, start with changing the axle back only then decide if you want more sound.

I have one Dinan exhaust with polished tips in stock

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #16
AWe90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 --> F10

Quote:
Quote:
Any reason why?

Would also be interested in video! Esp with highway cruising if possible. Close to pulling the trigger on MPE—but lots of talk on the loud sound has me reconsidering. Thanks.
      01-16-2019, 09:55 PM   #17
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWe90 View Post
Would also be interested in video! Esp with highway cruising if possible. Close to pulling the trigger on MPE—but lots of talk on the loud sound has me reconsidering. Thanks.
You want in cabin sound correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:49 PM   #18
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In cabin and if possible driving by at low speeds.
      01-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #19
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
In cabin and if possible driving by at low speeds.
Ill get one in the morning hopefully when leaving for work.
Appreciate 1
AWe9092.00
      01-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
AWe90
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Correct!

Thanks.
      01-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #21
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Correct!

Thanks.
I did two videos from cabin:
https://youtu.be/kXY9yBNG7Jw

https://youtu.be/hBSQ7MuD8ps
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #22
AWe90
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did two videos from cabin:

Thank you for posting. Remind me of what your set-up is? The exhaust did have more of a low humming sound than I would have anticipated inside the cabin.