2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications G Plus Intercooler Install DIY

05-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #89
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Is it the Gplus IC but didn't come with the brackets? Wondering if you can order the brackets separate? I would contact them
Brackets are supposed to come, but if you read a few pages back there's a lot of reports of various sellers forgetting them. If you contact the seller they will send it to you, but it's annoying to have to wait again lol
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #90
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Brackets are supposed to come, but if you read a few pages back there's a lot of reports of various sellers forgetting them. If you contact the seller they will send it to you, but it's annoying to have to wait again lol
Ah that sux. I was thinking you can contact GPlus directly but I forgot the Gplus is sold by ebay sellers and not GPlus themselves
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #91
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Hey fam! finally completed all the FBO by finally ordering my IC! sounds like everyone's happy with theirs so can't wait to get this installed!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 4
      05-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #92
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Hey fam! finally completed all the FBO by finally ordering my IC! sounds like everyone's happy with theirs so can't wait to get this installed!
woot woot!!! You and your car will love it. Especially going into the summer heat.
      06-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #93
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Does it seem to hold boost better with the new IC? Also, do you think stock boost will benefit from this?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #94
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
Does it seem to hold boost better with the new IC? Also, do you think stock boost will benefit from this?
I would not get into the IC having any performance gain expectations. All you'll probably notice is that you don't notice such worse performance on hotter days and/or after back to back pulls. Day to day, you won't notice it's there. (I have Wagner, which is supposedly the same thing.)
      06-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #95
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
I would not get into the IC having any performance gain expectations. All you'll probably notice is that you don't notice such worse performance on hotter days and/or after back to back pulls. Day to day, you won't notice it's there. (I have Wagner, which is supposedly the same thing.)
Feeling the difference on hotter days. Not looking for major performance gains just the heat soaking to subside a bit having a better ic thats all. For the 200$ ic to feel slightly better gain in heat soak conditions is all id want tbh. Now if Wagner was only manufacture of a aftermarket id pass on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:31 PM   #96
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean hold boost better? Either it holds boost or it doesn't, not sure what the question is.

Stock boost will benefit from this. You might feel a ever so slight increase in lag due to the larger volume, but I'd seriously doubt you'd ever notice it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:58 AM   #97
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean hold boost better? Either it holds boost or it doesn't, not sure what the question is.

Stock boost will benefit from this. You might feel a ever so slight increase in lag due to the larger volume, but I'd seriously doubt you'd ever notice it.
Well I figured with cooler iat the turbo would be better on boost pushing into the system rather then a heat soaked boost of air? Not my expertise just learning as i go.
      06-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #98
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well I figured with cooler iat the turbo would be better on boost pushing into the system rather then a heat soaked boost of air? Not my expertise just learning as i go.
Lower IAT actually lowers the amount of boost your turbo needs to push. Cooler air = more dense to begin with, so less boost is needed to achieve the same power levels. The hotter the IAT, the more boost you need to run to compensate for the lower density.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #99
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Lower IAT actually lowers the amount of boost your turbo needs to push. Cooler air = more dense to begin with, so less boost is needed to achieve the same power levels. The hotter the IAT, the more boost you need to run to compensate for the lower density.
Now with lower IAT the turbo uses less boost the upgraded intercooler will help a tiny bit with hotter temps which I dont mind wasting 200 for slight difference. This will be one of my last mods anyway. Not in a rush for cooler IAT. Just researching and whatnot.
      06-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #100
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Now with lower IAT the turbo uses less boost the upgraded intercooler will help a tiny bit with hotter temps which I dont mind wasting 200 for slight difference. This will be one of my last mods anyway. Not in a rush for cooler IAT. Just researching and whatnot.
The upgraded intercooler doesn't just help a tiny bit. It helps a massive bit. For 200 bucks, you can significantly lower your IAT's. Before the intercooler, I got 120-130 (ambient at 70-80ish) easily. With the intercooler, I usually sit at around 100 to 105 at the same outside temps.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #101
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Debating whether or not I should upgrade the other remaining pipes while I'm doing the GPlus IC? Any benefit to this?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #102
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The upgraded intercooler doesn't just help a tiny bit. It helps a massive bit. For 200 bucks, you can significantly lower your IAT's. Before the intercooler, I got 120-130 (ambient at 70-80ish) easily. With the intercooler, I usually sit at around 100 to 105 at the same outside temps.
Well damn,i retract my statement. I will look into getting one sooner then! Appreciate the advice and info on this man. I truly do!
      06-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #103
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Debating whether or not I should upgrade the other remaining pipes while I'm doing the GPlus IC? Any benefit to this?
I haven't bothered with anything besides the upper charge pipe and I'm running stage 2 for a while now with zero issues. From what I've seen, the lower charge pipe and hot side pipe are pretty stout.

Quote:
Well damn,i retract my statement. I will look into getting one sooner then! Appreciate the advice and info on this man. I truly do!
Though just as a heads up, these are highway speeds. If you're sitting in stop and go traffic, you're still going to heatsoak after a bit. Just letting you know so you know what to expect
Appreciate 2
      06-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #104
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't bothered with anything besides the upper charge pipe and I'm running stage 2 for a while now with zero issues. From what I've seen, the lower charge pipe and hot side pipe are pretty stout.

Quote:
Though just as a heads up, these are highway speeds. If you're sitting in stop and go traffic, you're still going to heatsoak after a bit. Just letting you know so you know what to expect
For 240$ cant beat the difference though.
      06-05-2020, 11:49 PM   #105
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
For 240$ cant beat the difference though.
Absolutely not, agreed. It's a wagner clone, so you know it was at least designed well.
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja430.50
      06-06-2020, 04:08 AM   #106
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i think this is the left side LIC that can be replaced? which to me would be a pretty good preventative maintenance upgrade since the dp is just below this which would cause the OEM pipe crack over time?

and than here's the boost pipe on the right side that connects to the CP

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #107
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

I haven't seen the need to replace those as a preventative measure - seems like oem is reliable enough, unlike a CP.

FWIW: I had a boost leak at the o ring of the boost pipe between the turbo and IC - I had to replace the whole pipe (bc you can't buy only the oring ), and shop said stay oem bc they see more issues with aftermarket replacements than the oem pipe.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #108
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i think this is the left side LIC that can be replaced? which to me would be a pretty good preventative maintenance upgrade since the dp is just below this which would cause the OEM pipe crack over time?

Other way around. The first one is the one that attaches the to the charge pipe. The second one is the one that comes out of the turbo. The stock one is the orange looking thing. Neither are all that close to the downpipe.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #109
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Quote:
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
I believe the FTP kit is for those who want piece of mind. I heard that the f10 charge pipes have been pretty sturdy to start with too. Haven't heard about them breaking as much as I have heard for f30s. I was actually going to get this kit but after what Unspec said I might just upgrade the pipe that connects to the throttle body and be done with it.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 12:53 AM   #110
Themarkymark
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 Imperial Blue 535i xDrive

For what it’s worth, I got my P3 gauge in the other day so I had some fun watching my IAT with the G-Plus the last couple days.

Yesterday was in the upper 80s and I ran about 8-10 above ambient at 55-70 mph speeds. WOT pulls at these speeds would see a spike of 15-20 degrees which cooled back off quickly at highway speeds. Driving at 30-40 mph within the city in traffic, I saw IAT in excess of 30 degrees above ambient at times.

These are excellent results for a $600 intercooler, let alone a $240 one.