2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Android phone adapter (not snap in)

06-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535d Touring 2014

Android phone adapter (not snap in)

My car has the snap in adaptor mounting plate in the central storage box. This contains a port which I think connects to the car's antenna for a better signal and also to the entertainment system.

What is the cheapest way to connect an android phone to this port so as to avoid the need for blue tooth AND use the car's antenna?

I have seen some "universal" snap in adaptors on amazon but they are very expensive (around 140 pounds). I don't need the phone to be held in place. I just want to connect to the port that the snap in adaptors use

All I can find is USB to micro USB cables but I doubt these connect to the car antenna.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
      06-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendandthrow View Post
My car has the snap in adaptor mounting plate in the central storage box. This contains a port which I think connects to the car's antenna for a better signal and also to the entertainment system.

What is the cheapest way to connect an android phone to this port so as to avoid the need for blue tooth AND use the car's antenna?

I have seen some "universal" snap in adaptors on amazon but they are very expensive (around 140 pounds). I don't need the phone to be held in place. I just want to connect to the port that the snap in adaptors use

All I can find is USB to micro USB cables but I doubt these connect to the car antenna.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
To access the car's antenna you must use the snap-in adapter. Look at eBay for used. A couple of years ago I picked up an iPhone 5s adapter for $85.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 02:17 AM   #3
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Really? There are no simple cable adaptors? ie something like mini USB to USB but with the USB replaced by a plug to fit in the port?

Is this not technically possible?

My phone is quite large (Vodafone own brand) so I am not sure it would fit anyway.
      06-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendandthrow View Post
Really? There are no simple cable adaptors? ie something like mini USB to USB but with the USB replaced by a plug to fit in the port?

Is this not technically possible?

My phone is quite large (Vodafone own brand) so I am not sure it would fit anyway.
You can use a USB cable to tether to the car, but that's for access to APPS. The wiring for the roof antenna goes to the plug for the snap-in and not to the USB port.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
The wiring for the roof antenna goes to the plug for the snap-in and not to the USB port.
Exactly. That is the bit I want. I had assumed there would be a simple and cheap cable adaptor (like a usb cable) but it seems not. Oh well.