2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs REmoving possible tree sap damage from 15 plate 5 series.

07-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
Rob The Photographer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d touring

REmoving possible tree sap damage from 15 plate 5 series.

Hi all, I regularly have to park my mineral grey / space grey (I think) 5 series touring under a tree on the street. I wash it once every week or two and use a cheapo halfords shampoo and wax combo or sometimes just shampoo then a separate wax.

Cleaning it last weekend I noted an amount of what I presume was tree sap over the bonnet. Thought nothing of it and washed with a bug / tar remover then shampoo wax combo as always. On drying there are distinct small blotch marks where I guess the sap was. Bonnet and roof.

I cannot remove them. In fat I don't think it's something to remove, it looks like a sealant or clear coat finish has been eaten in to.

You can't see them in bright sun but as you can see in the photo they are very visible under cloud having the appearance of dried water marks.

Naturally I want to fix this and have been quoted various prices, some acceptable some stratospheric. But am I missing something here ? Is there a product and technique that I could use to sort this out ? Could it be it's just eaten in to any present wax layers ? Or is it as bad as I think requiring expert attention ?

For the record I have parked by that tree for 2 years and never seen anything like this.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob The Photographer; 07-16-2018 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Get you a DA polisher, some Menzerna 3500 and an orange pad at speed setting 5-6 and all of that will come out. Tutorials for proper polishing techniques are all over YouTube, but that is what I use. Stop using wax and look into ceramic coatings. GL
      07-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Get you a DA polisher, some Menzerna 3500 and an orange pad at speed setting 5-6 and all of that will come out. Tutorials for proper polishing techniques are all over YouTube, but that is what I use. Stop using wax and look into ceramic coatings. GL
To add a bit... the videos from The Junkman are EXCELLENT!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
starlights
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Rob, digressing off your question for a bit (my apologies), what's a "plate" that you refer to? I see other UK users referring to 64 Plate BMW, or 15 Plate like you did - what does that stand for - is it a model designator there? I couldn't find an answer via google.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
Spanky916
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 55i M Sport

I have tried nearly everything and found a simple solution. Denatured alcohol on a soft towel easily melts the sap letting you simply wipe it away without scrubbing and scraping. Of coarse it will remove the wax from that area so make sure and reapply any product you used to seal your paint.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
ColonelCamp
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

I've clay barred all my cars for years and it gets it out. I don't remember not being able to get anything off, so that stuff really works..
Appreciate 0