2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Eibach sway bars making noise

11-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
Klecha man
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535

Eibach sway bars making noise

I've just installed front and back Eibach sway bars and all the sudden I'm hearing strange sounds from the front axle. I was told by the shop they did use silicon on the rubber bushings. I also notice the original ones had the bushings firmly glued to the bar where they do not move.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I have H&R bars, not Eibach, plus some M5 and other pieces. I've changed the bars multiple times on my F10 so I've been in there a few times.

1/ original bushings were not glued.

2/ silicone lube is good.

3/ You're going to have to elaborate on "strange noises". Squeaks? Groans? Crunches? When doing what? Turning the steering wheel? Going over bumps? When going straight or only turning? When hitting bumps with both wheels (bar turns in bushings) or one wheel at a time (bar under torsion)?

4/ H&R instructions say that you have to cut away a bit of plastic from shrouds under the car or it will rub - does Eibach have this instruction too and did your shop do this?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
Klecha man
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I have H&R bars, not Eibach, plus some M5 and other pieces. I've changed the bars multiple times on my F10 so I've been in there a few times.

1/ original bushings were not glued.

2/ silicone lube is good.

3/ You're going to have to elaborate on "strange noises". Squeaks? Groans? Crunches? When doing what? Turning the steering wheel? Going over bumps? When going straight or only turning? When hitting bumps with both wheels (bar turns in bushings) or one wheel at a time (bar under torsion)?

4/ H&R instructions say that you have to cut away a bit of plastic from shrouds under the car or it will rub - does Eibach have this instruction too and did your shop do this?
I wish I can explain the sound. It's mostly when I hit a bump. It's almost like a throbbing sound. Not squeaking though. I played around with the original bar last night and the bushing did seem like it was glued as I was not able to move it or remove it.

I'm taking it to the shop again, maybe there was not enough lube used.

I don't hear the noise taking turns or at high speed, mostly just as I'm going over a speed bump or minor bumps in the road at low speed. It almost does sound like the rubber bushing is rubbing on something.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
BuiltnBoostedZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix

Check your end links at each end of the sway bar. They could be binding when weight/load is released a bit.
      12-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltnBoostedZ View Post
Check your end links at each end of the sway bar. They could be binding when weight/load is released a bit.
I found that the bolts need to be tightened under load, with the full weight of the car on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
BuiltnBoostedZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I found that the bolts need to be tightened under load, with the full weight of the car on the ground.
Nice. My SPL end links with Eibach sways on my Z would pop...took alot of adjustment to get it perfect. Glad I could help.
      07-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
matroxstock
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Question your installer

You must use the silicone lubricant when you install these. I installed mine about 2 months ago and do not hear a thing.
I would lay money that they did not use the silicone that comes with the bars.
Appreciate 0