2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Few questions

03-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
MoneyJ
Rep
Drives: G35

Few questions

I currently drive a G35 Sport and am considering a move to a 550i. I've only driven a non-sport 535i so far, and have a few questions:

* The non-sport 535i, to me, was nothing special. I was happy to get back into my G35 and get the more visceral feel, even though the materials and attention to detail inthe 535i were clearly a step above. Does the M-sport package really improve the ride quality (in terms of sportiness)?
* Is the leather used in the Luxury Seating Package any different than what you get without that package? It sounds like the LSP simply offer more adjustments.
* Are there any rumors about changes for 2015, particularly with respect to the 550i powertrain?

Thanks,
J
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
BimmerMsport
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 535i AW M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-era View Post
I don't believe powertrain changes are expected for 2014 - 2015 cars. This may not be true for 2nd half of 2015 when 2016 models begin.

If you are looking at 550i, test drive M-sport - you won't be disappointed. I cannot comment on non M-sport 550i

Speaking from personal experience with G37 and 535i - neither feel like 550i on the road)
I agree the G37S coupe I had years ago feel nothing like like my 535 m sport but the 550... I test drove a 550 m sport before I decided on my car. The only differences are the acceleration and power. Everything else is the same. The "feel" you claim must be only in terms of power.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

If you get M-sport and x-drive, you do NOT get the sport suspension. So it's just an aesthetics package.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

The G35 is probably a little more sporty in comparison. More like the E60 5 series of the past. These are definitely softer or at the very least more isolated like most new cars... The M Sport will have a slightly tauter suspension (especially while in sport mode). The 8cyl engine is powerful but still VERY quiet so you may not notice your acceleration.

The leather is the same unless you opt for the softer nappa or "individual/Merino" but still not full cabin. The package upgrades the seats. Its a must have IMO.

There should not be major changes on this until new model around 2017ish (my guess).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyJ View Post
I currently drive a G35 Sport and am considering a move to a 550i. I've only driven a non-sport 535i so far, and have a few questions:

* The non-sport 535i, to me, was nothing special. I was happy to get back into my G35 and get the more visceral feel, even though the materials and attention to detail inthe 535i were clearly a step above. Does the M-sport package really improve the ride quality (in terms of sportiness)?
* Is the leather used in the Luxury Seating Package any different than what you get without that package? It sounds like the LSP simply offer more adjustments.
* Are there any rumors about changes for 2015, particularly with respect to the 550i powertrain?

Thanks,
J
You really should test drive a 335i or the new 4 series if you like the way the G35 feels. The 5 series is a big heavy highway cruiser. Sure you can add power and handling with the 550i MSport, but it will still drive heavy and big.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
G competes with 3 series so I agree with looking at 3 series if one wants to stay in the same segment. I would kindly disagree with 550i feeling heavy. I find it quite agile to say the least.
Agile compare to what? A Porsche 911 is agile, a 4500 pound 4 door sedan is not.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Why not compare to lambo, or ferrari while you're at it? after all this is a BMW forum.
You are right, the F10 is very agile compare to a 1970 Lincoln town car
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You like extremes don't you?
Here is a middle of the road answer for you. The F10 does not even handle as good as the A6 and the GS350, never mine the G37 and the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
MoneyJ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
You really should test drive a 335i or the new 4 series if you like the way the G35 feels. The 5 series is a big heavy highway cruiser. Sure you can add power and handling with the 550i MSport, but it will still drive heavy and big.
I'm 6'2" and have 5 and 9 year old girls...I love, love, love the G35 but we are kinda outgrowing it. The incremental rear legroom in a 5er would be great. I'm really averse to SUVs...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm 6'2" and have 5 and 9 year old girls...I love, love, love the G35 but we are kinda outgrowing it. The incremental rear legroom in a 5er would be great. I'm really averse to SUVs...
If you get the upgrade seats with the MSport F10, the rear leg room really isn't that much more than a G37, but the F10's rear seats are wider, my brother has a G37, so I am pretty familiar with it. On the other hand, those multi-contour seats in the F10 are almost a must have, they are among the best I have ever sat in.
You simply cannot compare a small sedan to a larger one, its not going to handle the same. On top of the physics behind it, car companies tend to make their bigger sedan more comfortable and isolated. The same reason why the Infiniti M class does not handle as nice their G class.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
MoneyJ
Rep

Thanks for the info! When we checked out the 550i, the legroom in back was noticeably better than in our G35, part of the effect may have been the increased foot space under the front seats. Im hoping to go 550i M-sport with ceramic controls and that's it. Looks like MSRP around 69k, which isn't bad...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
MoneyJ
Rep

The difficult part is that basically all Chicagoland inventory of 5 series cars is xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I've owned a G35 (Coupe) in the past... and honestly, while I liked the looks, the car wasn't great. Acceleration always felt weaker than equally (or even lesser) powered BMWs, the luxury wasn't up to par with German cars in similar price ranges, the paint was TERRIBLE (would chip and damage easily), and I ended up getting rid of the car after less than 2 years... a record for me.

You can't even begin to compare the F10 5 series to a G35 or G37 in terms of luxury, features, and refinement. The 550 starts in the low $60's - well above a G or similar class car. And you get what you pay for. The engine is also a MONSTER.

As far as performance goes, you're comparing two very different vehicles. The G was designed to be a more nimble sports sedan or coupe platform. The 550 was designed to be a road warrior's executive sedan. It's fast, capable, luxurious, and can seat 4 adults in comfort for a lengthy business trip if necessary. It's power wasn't designed to swing it around curves in a track but rather to overtake slower cars on the highway... "I'm late to a meeting and stuck behind a mom driving her Subaru in the left lane."

The M-Sport will add considerably to the car's overall sportiness IMHO. If you opt for non-xDrive, you can get either the M-Sport suspension (very nice and WAY different than stock suspension you drove) or the DHP (Dynamic Handling Package) that comes with an electronically controlled adaptive suspension. On the xDrive, you'll want to opt for the DHP as M-Sport suspension is not available. Both suspensions are amazing and very capable - drive them both and choose, but do NOT get the regular suspension as it's designed for one purpose only... comfort. It won't be sporty.

In any case, you won't be sorry with a 550... perhaps only when you fill up the tank. These cars DO drink fuel for that 445HP V8. But I've been happy as a clam with mine. Every time I get in and drive it, it wraps you in luxury, and you'll never feel the need for more power in normal driving. In most cases, you won't be able to use what the car can offer.

As for packages, look them over carefully - there's a lot to choose from. I couldn't really decide, so I got pretty much everything with the exception of B&O and night vision (terrible waste of money from what's been reviewed). The luxury seating package is nice... and if you live in a hot climate the ventilated seats come in handy. The active seats are also superb on long trips. I recommend it.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info! When we checked out the 550i, the legroom in back was noticeably better than in our G35, part of the effect may have been the increased foot space under the front seats. Im hoping to go 550i M-sport with ceramic controls and that's it. Looks like MSRP around 69k, which isn't bad...
I think the difference in opinion as far as rear leg room is because you are compare the F10 to a G35 and I am comparing it to a G37. My A6 and GS350 had more rear leg room than my 535i with the multi-contour seats. Like the previous poster said, if you have to get a X-drive, get one with the DHP package and it will handling better and closer to your G35. If the roads are full of potholes where you live, you might want to consider the tire and wheel insurance as the 19" tires and rims on the MSport are very unforgiving when it comes to potholes.
I had a 550i for about 2 weeks, the car is a monster. Floor it on the highway and you better hang on for dear life. It does drink gas though, I went thru a whole tank in less than a week.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
ClassM
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i msport/M5 E60/M3 E9x

Quote:
Here is a middle of the road answer for you. The F10 does not even handle as good as the A6 and the GS350, never mine the G37 and the 3 series.
You must've not driven the F10 M5 .
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #16
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassM View Post
You must've not driven the F10 M5 .
How does the M5 compare to the S6 or the RS6?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #17
ClassM
Private
Rep

Quote:
How does the M5 compare to the S6 or the RS6?
Doesn't matter because you are comparing the F10(which the M5 is also) to the A6 and GS350 . But to answer your question: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761928. I think I've said enough. I know your types .
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #18
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't matter because you are comparing the F10(which the M5 is also) to the A6 and GS350 . But to answer your question: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761928. I think I've said enough. I know your types .
The M5 is a F10 and a S6 is a C7, whats your point? Instead of reading a thread about the 2 cars, why not get some facts about head to head testing.
So what type do you think I am? The type that does not drink the BMW Kool Aid like you?

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #19
ClassM
Private
Rep

Quote:
The M5 is a F10 and a S6 is a C7, whats your point? Instead of reading a thread about the 2 cars, why not get some facts about head to head testing.
So what type do you think I am? The type that does not drink the BMW Kool Aid like you?

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Took you all day huh? Had to research and all sorts of stuff just to make sure ya close to being right haha(of course, you will say you did a quick google search). Kool Aid? No, I don't love BMW that much and I'm not going into a fanboy war with you...though something tells me you've been drinking a lot of Haterade.

Your types aren't about debate to learn n resolve anything but to win just for the sake of satisfying that ego of yours.

If you didn't GET THE POINT yet, it means you were incompetently comparing an "F10(again, M5)" to an A6 and GS350(your words)...NOT specifically C7 in general which would be a different story.

But instead of being a man about it and saying "oops what I meant was 5ers compared to the A6 and such", YOUR TYPES desperately drag any other subjects into it to mask away the embarrassment. Heck, I'm surprised you didn't mention a P1 or Huayra while you're at it.

That article is moot and proves nothing lol.

I find it more funny you own multiple BMW, are a member of a BMW enthusiast forum, yet hates it then tries and argue against everyone who is happy with their BMW. Then again, that's "your type"...which also cares soooo much about having the last word as well. You can have it, if that makes you feel better kiddo
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #20
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Took you all day huh? Had to research and all sorts of stuff just to make sure ya close to being right haha(of course, you will say you did a quick google search). Kool Aid? No, I don't love BMW that much and I'm not going into a fanboy war with you...though something tells me you've been drinking a lot of Haterade.

Your types aren't about debate to learn n resolve anything but to win just for the sake of satisfying that ego of yours.

If you didn't GET THE POINT yet, it means you were incompetently comparing an "F10(again, M5)" to an A6 and GS350(your words)...NOT specifically C7 in general which would be a different story.

But instead of being a man about it and saying "oops what I meant was 5ers compared to the A6 and such", YOUR TYPES desperately drag any other subjects into it to mask away the embarrassment. Heck, I'm surprised you didn't mention a P1 or Huayra while you're at it.

That article is moot and proves nothing lol.

I find it more funny you own multiple BMW, are a member of a BMW enthusiast forum, yet hates it then tries and argue against everyone who is happy with their BMW. Then again, that's "your type"...which also cares soooo much about having the last word as well. You can have it, if that makes you feel better kiddo
To be fair, I think many people around the forum use the term "F10" to generically refer to the 5-series sans the M5. As a case-in-point, look at your address bar... "f10.5post.com" yet the M5 gets its own "special" forum, even though it is technically an F10, as well. So, it's not too unusual for people to use the term F10 while not specifically intending to include the M5. If we want to get really picky about semantics, yes F10 does include the M5... but also to be fair to the other poster, he acknowledged that the M5 would more closely compare to an RS6.

Man, I can't believe this type of stuff is actually debated.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #21
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
If you get M-sport and x-drive, you do NOT get the sport suspension. So it's just an aesthetics package.
That is correct ... However I would opt for dhp over 704 any day ... So really no loss in my mind, as I always build with dhp.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #22
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-era
You like extremes don't you?
F10 handles like a boat. It is not agile by all means.
Appreciate 0