2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions rear brake pad replacement

12-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
t4ure4n
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 xdrive 20d

This may be a dumb question but i am going to ask anyway hoping someone can guide me.

I am getting the rear brake pads replaced on my 2016 BMW x3 xdrive F25
Someone suggested that since the car has electronic hand break i will have to use a software to wind/unwind the electronic break actuator or something like that.
My friend will be doing the change of pads for me and he said he can do it manually without using any software. I found this video which shows the manual process

Code:
Is is really necessary to use the software or is it safe to go ahead get it done with this manual process?

BTW, I have a copy of Rheingold software which I have used before to clear error codes etc. Please advise me if this is needed. Is there are video tutorial which i can follow.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
rahdigga165
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i xdrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ure4n View Post
This may be a dumb question but i am going to ask anyway hoping someone can guide me.

I am getting the rear brake pads replaced on my 2016 BMW x3 xdrive F25
Someone suggested that since the car has electronic hand break i will have to use a software to wind/unwind the electronic break actuator or something like that.
My friend will be doing the change of pads for me and he said he can do it manually without using any software. I found this video which shows the manual process

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOubDKjnqak
Is is really necessary to use the software or is it safe to go ahead get it done with this manual process?

BTW, I have a copy of Rheingold software which have used before to clear error codes etc. Please advise me this is needed. Is there are video tutorial which i can follow.
My mechanic used a car battery..all he did was reversed the polarity..maybe not the smartest way to do it, but it has worked for the past 3 brake pad changes. There is a way to manually do it by removing the actuator and winding it manually.
Good luck..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
t4ure4n
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 xdrive 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahdigga165 View Post
My mechanic used a car battery..all he did was reversed the polarity..maybe not the smartest way to do it, but it has worked for the past 3 brake pad changes. There is a way to manually do it by removing the actuator and winding it manually.
Good luck..
Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

With ISTA (Rheingold)/3rd party tool, it's way safer and takes seconds. If you have a working Rheingold installation just connect to the car and find the EMF workshop mode service function.

Failing that, yes, it's possible to do it manually. The usual method is to open the actuator and wind it back with a torx bit, as shown in the video.

I think it's also possible to do it from the piston-side, but I wouldn't risk it.

Note that if you have to remove the plug connection you need to do it with ignition off and then wait a couple of minutes (otherwise you risking shorting the motor). Then again, I see people using a direct battery connection... ;-)
Appreciate 0