2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Juul advertising on the radio?

08-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Juul advertising on the radio?

I heard the advertisement and called the local radio station to complain. This is a huge problem in high schools right now.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...cts-180968747/

Thoughts?
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1451.50
      08-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Interesting to see how this plays out. Will they not be held to the same standards of the cigarette companies? Those old ads are pretty funny. I remember as a kid having a frisbee that had a newport ad on it. In my opinion as a smoker (I realize it's bad for me) I have tried a vape and it just made me want a cigarette. The majority of the people that I see vaping are young adults and honestly as soon as I see a mile long cloud of smoke come out of them, it instantly makes me want to avoid them as I don't want to hear all the specs on their vape rig. Just a different flavor of vegans in my opinion; usually adorning unkept beards, flat bill snap-back caps, gym shorts, dirty t-shirts (usually a video game) and slider flip-flops with socks.

Last edited by King Rudi; 08-06-2018 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 3
Sea-Tac1451.50
Germanauto9665.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
There is an attempt by the FDA to regulate the e-cig industry. The attached link more or less points to what their actions have been so far. My concern is how fast (or how slow) e-cigs and their components enter the regulatory arena. FDA does take a fact based approach to its regulatory enforcement which, I would cautiously predict, will show similar dangers to tobacco use. At the same time, I suspect the manufacturers of these products will be met with favorable concern by our current administration and FDA's regulatory approach will be ham strung because of it.

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsr.../ucm605432.htm
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      08-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
I work in the radio industry and can confirm 100% there is a ton of local e-cig advertisers spend money with us to advertise. I don't think there is any restrictions on station format etc. As long as they pay, they get spots. Really sad but it is the reality

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      08-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

"OMG, won't someone think about the children!?"

That's what I think about this. It's a bunch of B.S. Most all of the studies conducted whose results are interpreted to conclude vaping is bad for you or "worse than real cigarettes" (which just makes me ROLMFAO) have been either debunked or proven worthless based on extreme testing methods that go far beyond what the human element can actually produce. The popcorn lung one was probably my favorite debunked piece of garbage health science. Actually, it may be a tie for the one where they were using suction forces WAY beyond what a human can do, thus burning the coil, and generating what COULD be harmful agents IF consumed in mass quantities. Since its initial proclamation that e-cigs are a good thing for society, the DHS in the UK has since DOUBLED DOWN on that claim. Yet over here, our FDA is demonizing it as the second coming of Big Tobacco giving everybody cancer, etc. I smoked about a pack a day for 15 years and switched to only vaping 5 years ago. I get regular, yearly pulmonary x-rays and breathing tests. My endocrinologist can't believe the improvements.

As far as the kids are concerned. They're always go to try what you forbid them to. My God, it's like this, yes, THIS one thing is what's going to kill all the kids. Not that alcohol hasn't been doing this for decades or anything. I have several late teen nephews. All of them vape. I asked all four of them and not a single one would ever dream of picking up a cigarette. Given that the same avenues are available for underage kids to obtain both vaping gear and cigarettes, I'm actually thrilled teens are choosing the former over the latter. So sick of this nanny state crap.
Appreciate 1
BayE301341.00
      08-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post

That's what I think about this. It's a bunch of B.S. Most all of the studies conducted whose results are interpreted to conclude vaping is bad for you or "worse than real cigarettes" (which just makes me ROLMFAO) have been either debunked or proven worthless based on extreme testing methods that go far beyond what the human element can actually produce. The popcorn lung one was probably my favorite debunked piece of garbage health science. Actually, it may be a tie for the one where they were using suction forces WAY beyond what a human can do, thus burning the coil, and generating what COULD be harmful agents IF consumed in mass quantities. Since its initial proclamation that e-cigs are a good thing for society, the DHS in the UK has since DOUBLED DOWN on that claim. Yet over here, our FDA is demonizing it as the second coming of Big Tobacco giving everybody cancer, etc. I smoked about a pack a day for 15 years and switched to only vaping 5 years ago. I get regular, yearly pulmonary x-rays and breathing tests. My endocrinologist can't believe the improvements.

As far as the kids are concerned. They're always go to try what you forbid them to. My God, it's like this, yes, THIS one thing is what's going to kill all the kids. Not that alcohol hasn't been doing this for decades or anything. I have several late teen nephews. All of them vape. I asked all four of them and not a single one would ever dream of picking up a cigarette. Given that the same avenues are available for underage kids to obtain both vaping gear and cigarettes, I'm actually thrilled teens are choosing the former over the latter. So sick of this nanny state crap.
I strongly disagree.

http://www.heart.org/en/healthy-livi...w-about-vaping

https://www.businessinsider.com/vapi...-metals-2018-2

https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessat...nic-cigarettes

https://news.psu.edu/story/527326/20...ling-or-vaping
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:

Earth science is being debunked too. Looks like there is high probability the earth is not round as previously believed.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      08-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post

Earth science is being debunked too. Looks like there is high probability the earth is not round as previously believed.
Proof!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
UncleWede17883.00
King Rudi13152.00
      08-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Do your research.

There was almost no information in this one. I don't feel anything needs to be posted in response to this article that contains nothing other than panic inducing language.

Here you go:
Best quote:

Quote:
A lot of the discussion around the study concerns itself with the level of harm that these toxic metals pose to humans. A press release issued with the study claimed that such levels “approached or exceeded safe limits,” a claim that subsequent reporting seemed eager to pick up on.

The ‘safe limits’ cited by so many reports are those issued for ambient air by environmental and drug safety agencies across the globe. And these agencies are rightly concerned with concentrations of hazardous metals in the air: toxic air can’t easily be escaped, is pervasive, and worst of all, is chronic: we breathe it all day, every day.

So when safe limits are set for toxic metals in the air, these limits assume that you’re going to be breathing these metals all day, every day.
Where the news falls short

The trouble starts when we apply standard limits for ambient air to e-cigarette vapour. Because anyone who’s ever vaped, seen someone vaping, or heard of vaping, knows that vape users don’t breathe eliquid vapour exclusively (hopefully).

Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos, research fellow at the Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center in Athens, puts it a little more clearly in a Facebook response to the study:

“I calculated that you need to vape more than 100 ml per day in order to exceed the FDA limits for daily intake from [inhaled] medications … humans take more than 17,000 breaths per day but only 400-600 puffs per day from an e-cigarette.”
Not only did this article cite a study that has been thoroughly debunked:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/21/cd...te-indoor-air/

But it also contradicts whatever point you're trying to make in "strongly disagreeing" with me.

This one is almost a mirror copy of the B.S. in the first linked article. All of it focused on "Oh, won't anyone think of the children!?" horseshit.

Keep trying.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #10
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Do your research.

There was almost no information in this one. I don't feel anything needs to be posted in response to this article that contains nothing other than panic inducing language.

Here you go:
Best quote:

Quote:
A lot of the discussion around the study concerns itself with the level of harm that these toxic metals pose to humans. A press release issued with the study claimed that such levels “approached or exceeded safe limits,” a claim that subsequent reporting seemed eager to pick up on.

The ‘safe limits’ cited by so many reports are those issued for ambient air by environmental and drug safety agencies across the globe. And these agencies are rightly concerned with concentrations of hazardous metals in the air: toxic air can’t easily be escaped, is pervasive, and worst of all, is chronic: we breathe it all day, every day.

So when safe limits are set for toxic metals in the air, these limits assume that you’re going to be breathing these metals all day, every day.
Where the news falls short

The trouble starts when we apply standard limits for ambient air to e-cigarette vapour. Because anyone who’s ever vaped, seen someone vaping, or heard of vaping, knows that vape users don’t breathe eliquid vapour exclusively (hopefully).

Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos, research fellow at the Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center in Athens, puts it a little more clearly in a Facebook response to the study:

“I calculated that you need to vape more than 100 ml per day in order to exceed the FDA limits for daily intake from [inhaled] medications … humans take more than 17,000 breaths per day but only 400-600 puffs per day from an e-cigarette.”
Not only did this article cite a study that has been thoroughly debunked:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/21/cdc-oddly-quiet-on-study-proving-vaping-does-not-pollute-indoor-air/

But it also contradicts whatever point you're trying to make in "strongly disagreeing" with me.

This one is almost a mirror copy of the B.S. in the first linked article. All of it focused on "Oh, won't anyone think of the children!?" horseshit.

Keep trying.
Wow.......
You cited something from vapor.com. And it agreed with your view. Amazing!

Have you been telling people to butt out of your business ever since you started smoking and vaping?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Wow.......

Have you been telling people to butt out of your business ever since you started smoking and vaping?
Because they all cite legit studies and it's impossible to find them in the MSM. Gee, I wonder why that could be? So, the same could be said for you. Shockingly, you cited all sources that obtained the same info. from the same debunked, bullshit studies.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hhe/report...-0107-3279.pdf

There, does that make you feel better?

And, OMFG, look at this!

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/heal...484873051.html

I got that from a liberal MSM source! You're effing laughable, man.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #12
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Wow.......

Because they all cite legit studies and it's impossible to find them in the MSM. Gee, I wonder why that could be? So, the same could be said for you. Shockingly, you cited all sources that obtained the same info. from the same debunked, bullshit studies.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hhe/reports/pdfs/2015-0107-3279.pdf

And, OMFG, look at this!

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/health/CDC-Study-Says-More-Kids-Arent-Vaping-but-Some-are-Skeptical-Juul-484873051.html

You had me at liberal msm!

Enjoy your Vaping, it is bad for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Wow.......

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hhe/reports/pdfs/2015-0107-3279.pdf

And, OMFG, look at this!

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/health/CDC-Study-Says-More-Kids-Arent-Vaping-but-Some-are-Skeptical-Juul-484873051.html

Why did you bring the "msm" into the argument?

I know for a fact American Heart Association is not the MSM. They do meticulous research.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #14
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Exactly the reaction from someone who's been proven wrong and can't deal with it. Don't worry, I will enjoy every second of not smoking cigarettes anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #15
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Exactly the reaction from someone who's been proven wrong and can't deal with it. Don't worry, I will enjoy every second of not smoking cigarettes anymore.
Based on?

Your statement invokes the word "triggered ".
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #16
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
trig·gered
ˈtriɡərd/
adjective
(of a mechanism) activated by a trigger.
"a triggered alarm"
(of a response) caused by particular action, process, or situation.
"a triggered memory of his childhood"
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #17
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Based on?

You didn't respond to the content of and of the links I posted that refute your argument. Even after I went ahead and linked directly to the CDC study cited in the Vapour article, a source you pegged as biased in my favor. You went straight for my calling a news agency liberal.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #18
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Based on?

You didn't respond to the content of and of the links I posted that refute your argument. Even after I went ahead and linked directly to the CDC study cited in the Vapour article, a source you pegged as biased in my favor. You went straight for my calling a news agency liberal.
I didn't respond to vapor.com? I wouldn't respond to an article from heroin.com or cigarette.com, obviously biased.
At what point was the American heart Association report wrong?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #19
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:

As far as the kids are concerned.
They're always go to try what you forbid them to. My God, it's like this, yes, THIS one thing is what's going to kill all the kids. Not that alcohol hasn't been doing this for decades or anything. I have several late teen nephews. All of them vape. I asked all four of them and not a single one would ever dream of picking up a cigarette. Given that the same avenues are available for underage kids to obtain both vaping gear and cigarettes, I'm actually thrilled teens are choosing the former over the latter. So sick of this nanny state crap.
So you are ok with 16 year olds vaping? As a parent, you would let your child do this?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #20
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Targeting kids? Wow, scumbags.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      08-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #21
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Technically, if we are referencing people by intellect, kids would encompass a large market of ages.
Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
      08-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #22
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't respond to vapor.com? I wouldn't respond to an article from heroin.com or cigarette.com, obviously biased.
At what point was the American heart Association report wrong?
So you won't respond to an article from a source that sourced it's info. from the CDC and other legit studies? Not only that, you didn't respond to any of the other links either. It's ok. I get it. You're one of these people who will refuse to acknowledge that you know nothing of which you speak. You displayed that perfectly by linking fear mongering articles citing studies that have been proven to be utter bullshit or ones that cite nothing at all and simply espouse rhetoric that echo your frustrations.

Quote:
So you are ok with 16 year olds vaping? As a parent, you would let your child do this?
No, but not for the reasons you'd suspect. It's illegal to buy\use under 18. I wouldn't want them to get in trouble, legally speaking. I would thank my lucky stars they didn't pick up cigarettes. I would be FAR more concerned with them drinking underage. As far as the marketing is concerned, I actually don't give a shit about who they're targeting. I've never been one to care about any of that. I watch idiot parents like you rant and rave about cigarette companies' marketing practices yet stay utterly silent about the advertisements for fruity flavored malt liquor beverages that are everywhere (Billboards, TV, magazines, etc.). All you can do as a parent is educate, attempt to scare straight, and pray to God your kid makes the right decisions. They're a roll of the dice and you can only control so much.
Appreciate 0