2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Stainless Steel Brake Lines

06-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #45
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

That's a nice red. Is that spray paint or G2?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:15 PM   #46
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Making some progress... new pads coming, I hope these ones fit!

Everything sand blasted, primed and painted. Calipers will be red, spring retainer is black.

I figured with having everything pulled off, now was the time to paint them properly.
Attached Images

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #47
ckaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
That's a nice red. Is that spray paint or G2?
Thank you! And actually it was sprayed out of an actual spray gun. It was supposed to be candy apple red but I believe due to the way the calipers arent smooth, the sparkles underneath didn't show through as well. I also got the engine bay braces painted the same color and those came out more "candy apple red" like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-03-2020, 05:11 AM   #48
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post

Everything sand blasted, primed and painted. Calipers will be red, spring retainer is black.

I figured with having everything pulled off, now was the time to paint them properly.
hey dude! did you swap out all the brake lines first before you bleed? i'm trying to decide where to start first? since the rotors and pads are all being swapped out
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #49
ckaul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:

hey dude! did you swap out all the brake lines first before you bleed? i'm trying to decide where to start first? since the rotors and pads are all being swapped out
Quote:
Quote:

Personally I will tell you what I did. I dont know if this is the best method but it worked for me. I was upgrading my calipers from 528i to 550i, so first I pulled off the old calipers and rotors, disconnected the brake lines, installed the new brake lines on the car side first and then connected them to the calipers as I was putting everything together. Somehow I got so much air in my brake system that I currently have no brakes as a pressure bleeder wasn't enough to push the required fluid through. I will have to use ISTA and do a DSC bleed as my brake pedal is literally as soft as my accelerator pedal lol. But yeah after I use ISTA plus the power bleeder everything should go back to normal. Just a heads up.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #50
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Well... I don't know another way to really do it. You disconnect the brake lines and you get fluid everywhere - just gravity bleeding. So that's where I'm at right now in those pics.

Then I'm replacing the brake lines on all 4 corners after painting everything up and the next step I'll do is to use the pressure bleeder to introduce the new fluid once everything is in place. You have to bleed from the furthest corner 1st working your way to the closest. And since I'm a 6sp I'll do my clutch line too.

Hopefully that works and I don't get to where ckaul is at!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #51
ckaul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well... I don't know another way to really do it. You disconnect the brake lines and you get fluid everywhere - just gravity bleeding. So that's where I'm at right now in those pics.

Then I'm replacing the brake lines on all 4 corners after painting everything up and the next step I'll do is to use the pressure bleeder to introduce the new fluid once everything is in place. You have to bleed from the furthest corner 1st working your way to the closest. And since I'm a 6sp I'll do my clutch line too.

Hopefully that works and I don't get to where ckaul is at!
Good luck to you man. I hope you don't end up in my situation it's quite frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #52
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Was able to get the lines installed no problem. Ran out of daylight so I'll wait til morning to do the brake and bleed.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #53
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaul View Post
Good luck to you man. I hope you don't end up in my situation it's quite frustrating.
Did you get this fixed?

And btw, the rear ecs brake lines were exactly the same size as stock if not a tad bit longer so I do not foresee a problem with getting them on there.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #54
ckaul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaul View Post
Did you get this fixed?

And btw, the rear ecs brake lines were exactly the same size as stock if not a tad bit longer so I do not foresee a problem with getting them on there.
Will be fixing tomorrow. And yes I know, I have my lines on, they are just twisted in a weird way, i will pull caliper off and twist them so that they dont have tension on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #55
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Was able to get the lines installed no problem. Ran out of daylight so I'll wait til morning to do the brake and bleed.
How are they working for you?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 03:23 AM   #56
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How are they working for you?
okay been driving on these for a couple of days now. so far no problems. honestly i wouldn't be able to tell you if these are an improvement over OEM since i swapped out the rotors and new pads as well. i feel there's plenty of bite but i couldn't tell you if the stainless lines helped. i'm sure they're an improvement over the stock and it's probably helping overall with conjunction of the new rotors and pads. These were straight plug and play as they installed right back into factory bracket locations. they do look very nice from pure aesthetics which is a plus for me!

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 06-06-2020 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #57
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
What kinda discs and pads did you get? Overall how is everything compared to stock?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #58
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What kinda discs and pads did you get? Overall how is everything compared to stock?
CQUENCE brakes rotors that are custom designed by me and they paired it with PosiQuit pads and OEM sensors. so far they feel great! still breaking them in so i haven't really braked hard at all but hey are stopping on a dime

https://www.cquence.net/
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #59
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
ok so with a normal power bleed I cannot get a firm pedal. I'm assuming the full drain due to pulling the lines, vs. a normal flush, will require to follow the ISTA bleeding procedure. Is this what you did lsturbointeg ?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #60
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok so with a normal power bleed I cannot get a firm pedal. I'm assuming the full drain due to pulling the lines, vs. a normal flush, will require to follow the ISTA bleeding procedure. Is this what you did lsturbointeg ?
i did exactly what Kies Motorsports did on their DIY brake flush Youtube video using the Power Booster. they didn't mention anything of having to perform ISTA procedure afterwards. my pedal feels pretty firm. i'm wondering if you let too much brake fluid drain out when you swapped your stainless lines out? i didn't notice much air in the lines when i cracked the bleeder valves open. i've already done some pretty nice pulls and when braking i have yet felt any issues with braking. the braking response feels pretty good. i know right after i finished installing the brakes when i started the car i pumped the brakes a few times and the pedal immediately firmed up!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #61
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
i did exactly what Kies Motorsports did on their DIY brake flush Youtube video using the Power Booster. they didn't mention anything of having to perform ISTA procedure afterwards. my pedal feels pretty firm. i'm wondering if you let too much brake fluid drain out when you swapped your stainless lines out? i didn't notice much air in the lines when i cracked the bleeder valves open.
Well, if air got into the Master Cylinder I'm learning that no power bleeder will remove those bubbles because it only pushes from the reservoir out to the calipers bypassing the Master Cylinder. And yes, i probably let too much fluid drain and the MC got air in it, hence now I need ISTA.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #62
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, if air got into the Master Cylinder I'm learning that no power bleeder will remove those bubbles because it only pushes from the reservoir out to the calipers bypassing the Master Cylinder. And yes, i probably let too much fluid drain and the MC got air in it, hence now I need ISTA.
so does your pedal feel soft all the way to the floor? how about your test drive how does the brakes feel? i'm curious as to whether or not the power booster is okay to flush but in the end still needs to be done with ISTA the right way? i dunno
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #63
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
so does your pedal feel soft all the way to the floor? how about your test drive how does the brakes feel? i'm curious as to whether or not the power booster is okay to flush but in the end still needs to be done with ISTA the right way? i dunno
On no, I did not drive it cause the clutch pedal went soft, I just got ista installed, running and connected to the car. Now just trying to learn how to trigger the bleed procedure, lol wow.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #64
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On no, I did not drive it cause the clutch pedal went soft, I just got ista installed, running and connected to the car. Now just trying to learn how to trigger the bleed procedure, lol wow.
ah so pretty much you don't have brakes than lol! i hear ya! so the pedal is completely soft than? is ISTA a program you have to download from the internet?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #65
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
From bimmergeeks yes, dealership software. I would say you have to be fairly computer savvy to get it to work. Need to set up you device manager and run command prompts. It is a hacked program.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #66
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Ok, my obdII port has sketchy connectivity or maybe it is the cable, I dunno but even after following ista working around losing connectivity, I don't have brakes. My clutch is back though. Taking it to an indy tomorrow for a flush so he can show me how to do this.
Appreciate 0