2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Help with Lean codes. Stumped F10 n55

04-24-2022, 02:08 PM   #1
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M Sport 6M

Help with Lean codes. Stumped F10 n55

2011 F10 535i 8AT

So I'm chasing my tale on leak codes and sputtering/fuel cut. I'm thinking tune related because OTS map runs good, but then again it's also heavily limited compared to the Custom tune, so it may run better by happenstance. Car also will not stay one for a few starts after sitting. Stalls. Eventually runs good after holding accelerator for a bit. Thinking injector/s can do that.

Tuner believed hesitation/fuel cut was fuel related so I ordered a genuine HPFP and a Helix OD kit. Same issues. So my old HPFP was fine.

I get lean codes. Here is what I replaced and what I didn't replace.

Smoke tested found zero leaks. Lifted car as well to inspect under
Replaced Valce cover gasket with Genuine
Found "hidden" leak in built in diaphragm on VC so replaced entire VC and gasket again (23 miles in between
Replaced Intake manifold and Throttle body gasket with Genuine gaskets
Refreshed new Genuine Eldor coils and Genuine Bosch Plugs
Replaced Tmap on CP and manifold. Upgraded the CP one to the 3.5 Bar in the process
Replaced HPFP with new
Added Spool Helix after
Verified Converter Lines weren't kinked or torn and they were fine, replaced anyway

Now what I HAVEN'T done.

Did not replace the MAF
Did not replace Converter
Did not replace Injectors

Logs from this morning are attached from 2 different pulls. I have several older ones if they need to be dissected further. If I don't let off as the car sputters it will trip a Misfire code for all 6 cylinders/deactivation eventually around 4th and 5th gear.

I don't mind all the parts I threw at it was always my intention to replace the Fuel pump to give the Helix a fresh base to abuse, and all the gaskets as I've already done bearings, Oil Pan Gaskets, etc, etc.

All problems and codes existed prior to gaskets/VCG and fuel pump. They did not exist prior to PS1/tune.

Mod List:

- FTP Charge Pipe
- FTP Boost Pipe
- FTP inlet
- GPlus 7.5 Intercooler
- Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe
- 3.5 Bar Tmap
- Helix Overdrive Pump
- MST Intake
- Pure Stage 1 Turbo
- Walboro LPFP Upgrade
- E50 Custom Tune
- xHP Stage 3

https://datazap.me/u/e1tonka/log-series-leaks-"fbo-ps1"?log=0&data=4-15
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 04:27 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Any chance you can do a log in manual mode on either 3rd or 4th?

This log is skewed by you flooring it and it downshifting from 6th down to 3rd. So basically by the time it got into 3rd it was already passed the usual torque peak and it SEEMS like the turbo was just chasing the target boost the rest of the gear (DME was targeting almost 20psi whilst the turbo was only putting out 15psi). I'd like to see a full gear from like 2500 to redline to get a proper log.

I also noticed no throttle closure so that wasnt a factor there. The WGDC builds up to 99% so the DME is trying to make the turbo meet target but can't. Fueling isn't an issue from what I can see on this log. But I'd still want to see a proper single gear pull to get a clearer picture before making suggestions
      04-24-2022, 05:41 PM   #3
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post

This log is skewed by you flooring it and it downshifting from 6th down to 3rd. So basically by the time it got into 3rd it was already passed the usual torque peak and it SEEMS like the turbo was just chasing the target boost the rest of the gear (DME was targeting almost 20psi whilst the turbo was only putting out 15psi). I'd like to see a full gear from like 2500 to redline to get a proper log.

I also noticed no throttle closure so that wasnt a factor there. The WGDC builds up to 99% so the DME is trying to make the turbo meet target but can't. Fueling isn't an issue from what I can see on this log. But I'd still want to see a proper single gear pull to get a clearer picture before making suggestions
There were two logs. Wasn't one from 3rd? I'll also go do a clean one with all parameters checked since someone said they wanted to see LPFP and it wasn't in there.

Be right back. Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep

Quote:

Here is the link, just made a log.

https://datazap.me/u/e1tonka/4-24-22...&data=3-21

Maye 3rd gear pull is great but it's when it changes gear and resumes acceleration when it starts to do it but then never quits.

DTM is as follows in the screenshot

Even though I have the latest EK module (right?) 2011 F10. Could it be that?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 06:06 PM   #5
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep

Didn't upload last pic in last message for some reason
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 07:20 PM   #6
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

you're off target boost anywhere from 4psi to 8psi throughout that pull. What's odd is that the WGDC isn't maxed out until redline when it should be trying to push harder from much further down low to try to make manifold boost equal target boost. For example, at 3018rpm, target boost is 22.4psi, yet manifold is only getting 10.8psi, so why is WGDC only 56.8%?

HPFP is plenty happy, so is AFR. You do have a lot of STFT as RPM builds, but that's likely due to the DME dialing back fuel that it was expecting to have to use based on the target boost not being met. Ignition is very clean.

I am well versed in this but I am no expert. I'd strongly suggest you speak to your tuner for a clearer idea. I've seen that fuel pump code come up and get fixed by people doing the CPU fan mod to the stock EKPS, and some have had to replace it. As for the MAF error, that could be tune-related (this is a common one to come up during the back and forth with a tuner while you're getting the car dialed in- rarely is it actually a faulty MAF).

Lastly, the lean code makes no sense- the logs show the HPFP target and actual are right on point. The DME is actually dialing back fuel via the STFT as mentioned earlier, so I don't understand why this code is present. The stock 2011 Continental pump can certainly handle E50 all day with the stock turbo. You having a PS1 but also a fresh HPFP with a Helix OD this would be more than enough to feed the PS1 on the E50 mix.

So...
1- You said this was a custom tune. Are you working with a tuner on this still or if this the finished tune? If it is still getting worked on, that would certainly explain the oddly conservative boost ramp up (up to a point)
2- I'd suggest you replace that boost control solenoid (AKA, pressure converter). It's a common wear item on the PWG N55s (and N54s as well). When it's going bad it's common for it to have delayed actuations or not be able to meet it's range of operation, and it rarely actually sets off a code
      04-24-2022, 07:42 PM   #7
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep

Quote:
you're off target boost anywhere from 4psi to 8psi throughout that pull. What's odd is that the WGDC isn't maxed out until redline when it should be trying to push harder from much further down low to try to make manifold boost equal target boost. For example, at 3018rpm, target boost is 22.4psi, yet manifold is only getting 10.8psi, so why is WGDC only 56.8%?

HPFP is plenty happy, so is AFR. You do have a lot of STFT as RPM builds, but that's likely due to the DME dialing back fuel that it was expecting to have to use based on the target boost not being met. Ignition is very clean.

I am well versed in this but I am no expert. I'd strongly suggest you speak to your tuner for a clearer idea. I've seen that fuel pump code come up and get fixed by people doing the CPU fan mod to the stock EKPS, and some have had to replace it. As for the MAF error, that could be tune-related (this is a common one to come up during the back and forth with a tuner while you're getting the car dialed in- rarely is it actually a faulty MAF).

Lastly, the lean code makes no sense- the logs show the HPFP target and actual are right on point. The DME is actually dialing back fuel via the STFT as mentioned earlier, so I don't understand why this code is present. The stock 2011 Continental pump can certainly handle E50 all day with the stock turbo. You having a PS1 but also a fresh HPFP with a Helix OD this would be more than enough to feed the PS1 on the E50 mix.

So...
1- You said this was a custom tune. Are you working with a tuner on this still or if this the finished tune? If it is still getting worked on, that would certainly explain the oddly conservative boost ramp up (up to a point)
2- I'd suggest you replace that boost control solenoid (AKA, pressure converter). It's a common wear item on the PWG N55s (and N54s as well). When it's going bad it's common for it to have delayed actuations or not be able to meet it's range of operation, and it rarely actually sets off a code
Two things I concluded by reading your advice and while I waited for your reply and was researching.

1. The MST Intake May be responsible for the lean codes. I saw about that in a thread for a custom intake here and another random FB post.

2. I hit target boost 50 percent of the time (random estimate). I have several logs, I just wanted a fresh one for you. The reason I think I may have exceeded my tuner's knowledge is that he hasn't mentioned adjusting the MAF scale, and he didn't interpret the STFT the way you did. He saw the scale back and said it was crashing. But my old logs and the one I just posted with fresh pumps show the same behavior.

He has tuned me FBO stock turbo on E30, E50 and 93. Always incredibly responsive for revisions, 7-8 a day. Not so much with specific questions.

I don't want to put him on blast undeservingly if it's something on my car like the converter, coupled with what seems to be his real time learning.

He is a very popular but young in terms of tuning compared to others, they all had to learn but I've had trouble getting questions answered. Just revision after revision.

I saw the 5-7 PSI deviation but while I am 1000 percent comfortable mechanically, I am not nearly so or remotely knowledgeable enough reading or interpreting logs.

I did 3 logs this run, and 2 were perfect so I only posted the one with the stuttering, which I guess seems to be the drop in PSI.

I'll order the pressure converter and go from there.

I may have 3 separate issues here.

A - Lean codes from lack of MST intake knowledge on tuner's part

B - stalking when cold at first start up of the day due to POSSIBLY failing Ek module (I do have it cooled).

C - Pressure converter failing.

Potentially even a combination of these things working together to ruin my fun lol
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 10:03 PM   #8
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Oh definitely. I did not mean it as "your tuner screwed up". Simply that he may be better able to answer the questions than me, as he's the one ultimately working on this tune.

I don't think the MST intake would be an issue as it is still a suck through intake just like the stocker. Perhaps you ran into BroBMWs intake thread where he was having some issue with MAF codes but this was (so far) only affecting him and it's due to the ram effect of having the cone out behind the kidney grille. I know 1 other person running this and myself and we have not had this code show up up (but we are also on OTS tunes with stock turbos, where as he was in the midst of a custom tune). Now.... I CAN see this intake being an issue IF you have a vacuum leak between the MAF and the turbo inlet.

Speaking of which... is your valve cover original or has it been replaced? a faulty PCV diaphragm will cause lean codes. In extreme cases you'll actually hear a high pitch whistle on the top of the engine. But that's after a while of the PCV being faulty.

Yea you can go with a BMW pressure converter or a Pierburg from FCP (I can vouch that Pierberg makes the OE part for BMW, so it's no knock-off).
      04-24-2022, 10:30 PM   #9
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Try
Unplugging your MAF all together so your car runs off the loaded values. If it runs ok, you have a bad MAF. And consider a new tuner! Who are you with right now?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:51 AM   #10
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Try
Unplugging your MAF all together so your car runs off the loaded values. If it runs ok, you have a bad MAF. And consider a new tuner! Who are you with right now?
Quote:
Oh definitely. I did not mean it as "your tuner screwed up". Simply that he may be better able to answer the questions than me, as he's the one ultimately working on this tune.

I don't think the MST intake would be an issue as it is still a suck through intake just like the stocker. Perhaps you ran into BroBMWs intake thread where he was having some issue with MAF codes but this was (so far) only affecting him and it's due to the ram effect of having the cone out behind the kidney grille. I know 1 other person running this and myself and we have not had this code show up up (but we are also on OTS tunes with stock turbos, where as he was in the midst of a custom tune). Now.... I CAN see this intake being an issue IF you have a vacuum leak between the MAF and the turbo inlet.

Speaking of which... is your valve cover original or has it been replaced? a faulty PCV diaphragm will cause lean codes. In extreme cases you'll actually hear a high pitch whistle on the top of the engine. But that's after a while of the PCV being faulty.

Yea you can go with a BMW pressure converter or a Pierburg from FCP (I can vouch that Pierberg makes the OE part for BMW, so it's no knock-off).

I know you didn't mean he was at fault, I was just saying that is what I think now based on his comment about buying a Spool pump, which would suggest he didn't know my car has an old style pump which is slightly suspect to me since he has been tuning me for a year.

But since the MST is inches from
The MAF I figured it may be the case.

Replaced Valve cover and gasket twice in 30 miles after I realized the inner diaphragm was passing oil. "Hidden leak N55" YouTube video showed me.

Smoke tested the MST at every opening and inlet with no leaks.

I'll keep the tuner private until I'm positive to be respectful to his efforts.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:58 AM   #11
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Try
Quote:

Also, reading that thread that Intake looks cool. I want one now lol

The MST makes the same intoxicating sounds but it could be a nice comparison on logs
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 05:40 PM   #12
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep

So replaced the Converter, didn't matter. I got with David Shoup and we went over my log for a couple
Hours and it looks like there are a myriad of reasons for the code and they're tune related.

So next week we'll be tuning it and hopefully it clears everything up!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 03:04 PM   #13
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdisFingF10 View Post
So replaced the Converter, didn't matter. I got with David Shoup and we went over my log for a couple
Hours and it looks like there are a myriad of reasons for the code and their tune related.

Sounds like you are in the best hands possible sir! Im working on my tune with him and so far it's been top notch dealing with him
      05-04-2022, 08:11 PM   #14
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hours and it looks like there are a myriad of reasons for the code and their tune related.

Sounds like you are in the best hands possible sir! Im working on my tune with him and so far it's been top notch dealing with him
I can't believe I wrote "their". Lol

I edited it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 07:21 AM   #15
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm trying to be patient but it's hard. My car is almost undriveable but I can't get a reply from our guy since 4/29 lol.

I hear this happens a lot but I can't drive it so days seem like years lol
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #16
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm trying to be patient but it's hard. My car is almost undriveable but I can't get a reply from our guy since 4/29 lol.

I can't imagine your position though with the car basically parked all this time.

try giving him a call tomorrow. Keep in mind that he's the arguably the best out there so you can imagine how busy he is. It's worth the wait. But definitely keep emailing or calling. When I call him I typically just do one in the AM and one in the PM to not blow up his phone lol.
      05-11-2022, 06:09 PM   #17
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I can't imagine your position though with the car basically parked all this time.

try giving him a call tomorrow. Keep in mind that he's the arguably the best out there so you can imagine how busy he is. It's worth the wait. But definitely keep emailing or calling. When I call him I typically just do one in the AM and one in the PM to not blow up his phone lol.
Haha I'll try that. I found a work around, I loaded an OTS tune that drives great until I hear back.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 02:27 PM   #18
FdisFingF10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

He finally responded lol. I paid him Now waiting for him to confirm And send me the first file I suppose

Weeeeeee
Appreciate 0