2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Serpentine belt snapped- belt got in engine

02-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i M Sport

So I was visiting my family in FL over the weekend when my dash lit up like Christmas. Before I could pull over the car said the engine was overheating so I coasted in N over to the shoulder. Popped the hood, belt was gone. Just remnants of belt that looked like black chunks of cotton. I had the car towed to a shop my family uses and had the tensioner and belt replaced using OEM parts. Everything else checked out (supposedly) but they couldn't clear the faults the ECU threw.

So I drove home the next day (2 hours away) keeping an eye on the temps, oil level, and trying to listen for any odd sounds. Nothing funky until 10 minutes from home. Slight shake while at a red light. "Ok. It's idling a little rough now. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get looked at."

Dealer ran their diagnostics and came back with a lovey list of needed repairs for immediate attention because my belt was sucked into the engine. OFHG, Crankshaft Seal, oil pan gasket, and valve cover gasket.
For a proper repair, does that sound right? They stated they could see belt fragments when the opened the oil cap?? They are asking for nearly $5k.

Thoughts?
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
mini151
Rep
Drives: '11 550xi

Run fast and run far!! That sounds like a load of BS. Just how does the belt get inside the crankcase? Is it actually leaking oil? Similar thing happened to me when I took my Mini (BMW) in for a recall, they quoted my over $3,000 for needed repairs! By the way , it's a 2002 Cooper with a book value of less than $4,000. Find a good independent shop to get the codes cleared and checked out.
That's why they are called Stealerships!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 M4, 2013 F10 N55

I know this is common on N54's, but wasn't sure on N55's. This is the reason if you have a leaking OFHG it needs to be dealt with immediately. If not, oil gets on the belt it will destroy the engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer View Post
I know this is common on N54's, but wasn't sure on N55's. This is the reason if you have a leaking OFHG it needs to be dealt with immediately. If not, oil gets on the belt it will destroy the engine.
Crazy part is, it was such a minor leak. Dealer even said "it's something I would plan to do in the next few months for sure, but not urgent as of now". I honestly think with 83k miles it was just worn out. PO definitely drove it "spirited"
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

There was a thead here or one of the other F10 boards about this just a month or two ago. We all had to get over our "belt sucked into the engine? - BS!" stance because it can and does happen, apparently.

Still shocked, but you're the second thread in a couple of months. I think it depends on just how the tensioner lets go. Maybe I should be scheduling some extra PM on the belt system that doesn't seem required....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
There was a thead here or one of the other F10 boards about this just a month or two ago. We all had to get over our "belt sucked into the engine? - BS!" stance because it can and does happen, apparently.

Still shocked, but you're the second thread in a couple of months. I think it depends on just how the tensioner lets go. Maybe I should be scheduling some extra PM on the belt system that doesn't seem required....
I would definitely do that depending on age and mileage. We just have to remember, these belts are fabric and deteriorate over time. Needless to say, I'll be ordering the parts from FCP Euro and doing everything at home. Luckily, my brother in law is a mechanic and is willing to help
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
It’s not bs, we’ve had a handful of cars do this. They are opening up your engine to remove all the belts fragments that are going to destroy your engine. It needs to be done immediately.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #8
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
It's not bs, we've had a handful of cars do this. They are opening up your engine to remove all the belts fragments that are going to destroy your engine. It needs to be done immediately.
I definitely do not feel like chancing it. It just sucks that the cost was so high. Car is parked until I can open it up this coming weekend. Any tips for a DIYer?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer View Post
Soon as I found out my oil filter gasket housing was leaking I got the repair done ASAP because I did not want a costly repair. Should've gotten it done when you were told
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #10
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encendido3 View Post
I definitely do not feel like chancing it. It just sucks that the cost was so high. Car is parked until I can open it up this coming weekend. Any tips for a DIYer?
You are going to do it yourself? Good luck man. I would not do it unless you are super well mechanically inclined. Also you will need special tools for crank seal.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #11
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You are going to do it yourself? Good luck man. I would not do it unless you are super well mechanically inclined. Also you will need special tools for crank seal.
So I did have the dealer do the crank seal since I've never done that before nor have the tool for it. OFHG and Oil Pan tho shouldn't be hard, just time consuming. Luckily i'm not doing it alone. My brother in law is a mechanic. Fingers crossed for a smooth endeavor.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

Sorry, sounds like BS to me. Does not pass the smell test. How can fragments of the belt get into the engine uness it tore up the intake pipes, valve cover, etc? It is a sealed system for emissions control. I can possibly see the crankshaft end seal getting damaged (even skeptical on this.). Yes it makes a mess when a belt goes, just go through the engine compartment with a shop vac and air hose to get the crap out... clean the motor with engine degreaser and hose it down then see of you have any leaks and fix them.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #13
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky View Post
Sorry, sounds like BS to me. Does not pass the smell test. How can fragments of the belt get into the engine uness it tore up the intake pipes, valve cover, etc? It is a sealed system for emissions control. I can possibly see the crankshaft end seal getting damaged (even skeptical on this.). Yes it makes a mess when a belt goes, just go through the engine compartment with a shop vac and air hose to get the crap out... clean the motor with engine degreaser and hose it down then see of you have any leaks and fix them.
So I was EXTREMELY skeptical myself when he told me that (still iffy on seeing 2inch pieces when the looked through the oil cap) but apparently it happens quite often if the belt snaps while driving. From what I've heard, more times than not, the issue is the belt pieces end up in the oil pan and clog the oil pickup tube and starve the engine. I've gone ahead and ordered the parts to do what they said they were going to do and plan on taking pictures of what I find.

Edit: I found this awesome write-up on this issue and fixing the shit show.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...0#post20582508
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:08 PM   #14
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

Quote:
So I was EXTREMELY skeptical myself when he told me that (still iffy on seeing 2inch pieces when the looked through the oil cap) but apparently it happens quite often if the belt snaps while driving. From what I've heard, more times than not, the issue is the belt pieces end up in the oil pan and clog the oil pickup tube and starve the engine. I've gone ahead and ordered the parts to do what they said they were going to do and plan on taking pictures of what I find.

Edit: I found this awesome write-up on this issue and fixing the shit show.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...0#post20582508
Ok, thanks for the link. From the pics I can see that it is more of damage that happened from a long slow process of the belt disintegrating and wrapping around behind the crank shaft pulley. It wasn't that it broke while driving causing the issue. The seals were probably already damaged and material pulled into the timing chain area long before the belt finally broke. Really sucks though.

People need to pop their hoods more often and be more observant. This didnt happen in one trip. When my belt went bad it was due to the lower pulley hitting the frame and cracking an edge off. This gradually chewed the side of the belt away causing rubber and thread fuzz to scatter around the engine compartment. I saw the crap all over the front of the engine and started investigating. Found half the width of the belt gone and the broken pully. Cleaned it up, replaced the broken pulley, idler, tensioner, belt, etc. and didn't have any more issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #15
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

Quote:
Not to sound harsh but just because it sounds like bs to u does not mean it is.
N54 r notorious for this. And for n55 this isnt very uncommon.
Oil gets on belt. Belt slips and shreds. Gets sucked into crank then into engine.
This is why ofhg is a MUST repair and it needs immediate attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #16
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
You can say it sounds like bs all you want. Those of us who deal with these cars on a daily basis can attest to the fact that it isn’t bs.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #17
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
So I did have the dealer do the crank seal since I've never done that before nor have the tool for it. OFHG and Oil Pan tho shouldn't be hard, just time consuming. Luckily i'm not doing it alone. My brother in law is a mechanic. Fingers crossed for a smooth endeavor.
Oil pan gasket is going to suck as you don’t have a lift to help you out so jack stands and a creeper will be awful but not to the point that you cannot do it. Filter housing gaskets aren’t too bad once you get the manifold out of the way. The valve cover still needs to be done? This is also not super difficult if you are mechanically inclined.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #18
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oil pan gasket is going to suck as you don't have a lift to help you out so jack stands and a creeper will be awful but not to the point that you cannot do it. Filter housing gaskets aren't too bad once you get the manifold out of the way. The valve cover still needs to be done? This is also not super difficult if you are mechanically inclined.
So you called it. Oil pan is a PITA. Can't seem to get the subframe down far enough to get the pan OUT. Any ideas? I have unbolted to struts from up top, unbolted the motor mounts, and unbolted the sway bar.

I see why they charge over $1k for this job
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #19
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quick update. After searching and searching for a way to get the subframe to drop enough to get the pan out all way, I jacked the motor up some to be able to see in the pan and get the pickup tube off. Glad I did as there sure enough was about 8 inches worth of belt still in the pan and the pickup tube was almost clogged up completely. Cleaned out the pickup tube with parts cleaner and compressed air, cleaned out the pan, and am in the process of putting it all back together.
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja430.50
      03-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #20
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535I xdrive 2011 (M-SPORT)

Oh this is really bad ! Thanks for sharing, I just checked mine and it seems to be leaking badly. I will get an appointment to do the gasket, belts and maybe tentionner at the same time ASAP! I hope my Indy will not charge me too much for that !

Anything else I should check or replace while I am at it?

My car is a 2011 at around 118k KM never done any major maintenance ( only oil changes, brake fluide ...)
BMW 535I xdrive 2011 M-Sport with H&R Springs, Niche Form Wheels 8.5 ET35 / 10.5 ET35, Continental DSW06 245/35 & 285/30, JB4 Map 5, ER Downpipe, Megan Racing Quad Exhaust with Vibrant resonators, M5 Diffuser, Orange reflector shaved and removed xdrive badge.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:28 AM   #21
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayphil View Post
Oh this is really bad ! Thanks for sharing, I just checked mine and it seems to be leaking badly. I will get an appointment to do the gasket, belts and maybe tentionner at the same time ASAP! I hope my Indy will not charge me too much for that !
If it's your OFHG, it honestly isn't hard to do at all. The most important part is making sure to A) thoroughly clean the area where the gaskets go, & B) make sure to tighten all the bolts to spec. I was nervous about break a bolt I under-tightened and had a leak when I turned the car on. Tightened it up, and good to go
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #22
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Just took my CPO back to the dealer and said the tensioner was making noises, and they replaced it! ����
Appreciate 0