2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos And that is why I won't drive a "P" car
Closed Thread

02-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #111
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Last post since you asked a somewhat reasonable question. Your title would hold some weight but here's where it opens up like a strainer. You complain about a particular brand driver and state you would never buy that car because of the way said person was driving the car. Now stay with me on this part.......you drive a BMW and it's a known fact that the general populous believes BMW drivers are the biggest ass hats on the road. Yet you own one......you see where your statement is one big ball of contradiction. So people draw the conclusion that you have P-Car envy, or you are full of yourself. Now you can act like this is your first BMW and you didn't know the stigma associated with owning one. If it's the latter then I'm still waiting for you to start your FS thread. Last word.....if you buy a car based on the way you see people drive them, I hope Uber is large in Austin cause you'll be walking. And based on your title......you buy based on how you see it driven. Now, do you understand why people have launched a "Your thread makes no sense" campaign.....peace.........Phil
Fair points - I see what you mean.

Perhaps the title was not entirely accurate. I've never really liked Porsche (don't get me wrong - love and respect the technical prowess, they just don't appeal to me - never have - not since I was a kid in the 70s) so I probably made a mistake in the thread header.

And no - not my first BMW - 5th. 318i (4-cyl) -> Z3 2.0i -> 328i -> 335i -> M3. I'm aware of the reputation of BMW drivers, and that's probably why I try to be nice and courteous to other drivers - but then I don't feel the need to drive like a douche in any car. Don't drive down the wrong lane and expect to cut in at the end. Don't weave in and out of traffic unless there's too many soccer-mom's wandering in and out of lanes as they try to spank little Johnny in the back seat. Use your indicator (it's not there just for wrist exercise). Don't hover on someone's bumper if they're stuck behind the traffic in front of them too. If anything I probably go out of my way to make up for the BMW reputation.

I guess I just do not get the behavior of *this* driver in the Boxter. Wasn't trying to race me (didn't pull up beside me or anything - pulled up behind me, and roared past at full awful noise). It did sound awful - not all of them, just this one. Or maybe all - I've never had a Boxter drive past me like that before. It really reminded me of a mid-80's Honda Civic with a 6" baked bean can as an exhaust. Was horrific.

But I disagree with the "your thread makes no sense" part - people have been horns in looking for ways to blame it on me and make out it was all my fault for being in the wrong lane blah blah I must have caused it it's all my fault... ad nauseam. And tedious. Tiring.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 11:15 PM   #112
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

OP, this thread went over the cliff in a hurry. A lot of forum members would like to have a Porsche if/when they can afford it or the time in their life is right.

You come out and bash the brand as a whole using a single incident with a single driver as the start point of your argument.

I cannot remember the last time a Porsche driver drove like a dick around me, but I cannot say the same for virtually all other brands; with the leaders being BMW drivers, Civic drivers, and Prius drivers.

You got defensive which is understandable since none of us likes to be picked on. But then you call Porsche an over-hyped VW. Where is the logic there? For you not to like Porsche personally is one thing. To call it an over-hyped VW is just plain silly since it is generally considered to be one of the finest brands in the world and in a league of its own.

Sorry you had a bad experience on the road. It happens to all of us.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #113
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
OP, this thread went over the cliff in a hurry. A lot of forum members would like to have a Porsche if/when they can afford it or the time in their life is right.

You come out and bash the brand as a whole using a single incident with a single driver as the start point of your argument.

I cannot remember the last time a Porsche driver drove like a dick around me, but I cannot say the same for virtually all other brands; with the leaders being BMW drivers, Civic drivers, and Prius drivers.

You got defensive which is understandable since none of us likes to be picked on. But then you call Porsche an over-hyped VW. Where is the logic there? For you not to like Porsche personally is one thing. To call it an over-hyped VW is just plain silly since it is generally considered to be one of the finest brands in the world and in a league of its own.

Sorry you had a bad experience on the road. It happens to all of us.
I guess I've never seen Porsche in that light. I'd rather a Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. They're certainly not my "next step" - I'd look at Aston Martin first. Just *MY* preference - but yes, I have felt the wrath of people for whom that's not their preference.

As mentioned, I didn't intend to bash the brand (as I said, the title in hindsight was a mistake) and all I said was that *THIS* Boxter sounded like shit. Not all Boxters. Not all Porches. Just *THAT* one.

I can't remember when any other driver drove like that much of a dick around me in any car. Prius drivers tend to be self important assholes, as do truck drivers here in Texas. Drive down the wrong lane, cut you off at the last minute. Usual shit. Never had ANYONE drive like this Boxter driver. Hence I was surprised and bemused.

I called Porsche an "over-hyped VW" just this evening, after having tolerated a barrage of abuse and crap for the past 72 hours. Perhaps it was a bad call and a knee-jerk reaction, but after the shit I'd been dealt for the prior 72 hours I'd got to the point where I just didn't care. So no, I reject that comment as a valid reason for what I've dealt with.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 02:42 AM   #114
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
"Also, it appears you were in the left lane twice? No wonder they buzzed passed you."

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion... but that's a conclusion, from your post above
It was still a question...
You stated that you were in the left lane because you were going to turn. Then you stated another p car came behind you and it zoomed to the right of you... Hence I asked, it appears you were in the left lane twice.. But before assuming I asked to clarify.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      02-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #115
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Well, compared to the way you drive I'm a saint.
You didn't answer my question. Do you get upset when folks alternate merge (like they are supposed to) in traffic as road lanes condense?

Also, I think you may be projecting. I never once mentioned my personal driving habits. Cheers!
Viffermike1753.00
Closed Thread