2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Adaptive drive/drive dynamic/sport auto confusion

08-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Adaptive drive/drive dynamic/sport auto confusion

Hi All,
Please bear with me if these questions have been previously answered; I've done a search and found loads of stuff, but I'm still not fully sure.
I'm on the verge of trading in my beloved E92 for a 535d M Sport F10, but I'm not totally clear on exactly what you get with the above options and my local dealer has done little to clarify my confusion.
The way I understand it is as follows:
1. Adaptive drive controls body roll by constant adjustment of active anti-roll bars and dampers.
2. The adaptive drive also includes dynamic drive control, which adjusts gear shift rate, steering and throttle response.
3. Although drive dynamic is separately listed, this is not available without adaptive drive.
4. There are three modes - comfort, normal and sport; there is also sport+ which disables traction control. These modes are controlled by a set of buttons by the gear selector.
5. Sport auto has normal and sport modes, controlled by pushing the gear selector sideways (but so did the SE demo, so what's the difference?), but you get the steering wheel shift paddles.
Is this correct and, more importantly, worth the considerable extra expense (£2,200 for adaptive drive and £110 for sport auto)?
I have driven the 530d with standard 8 speed auto and I was generally very impressed. Compared to my E92 there is, of course, considerably more roll and pitch through corners and over uneven surfaces; however, it's dramatically more comfortable and quieter.
Has anyone driven both the normal auto and adaptive drive versions and, if so, is there a noticeable difference? What I'm hoping for is the comfort of the demo car I drove, with the ability to transform it into something closer to my E92 at the push of a button.
Many thanks,
Jon D
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

I might be wrong, haven't followed the various options of European models, but I thought that the M Sport package in Europe included the M Suspension (slightly lower and stiffer springs) and precluded the Adaptive Drive options.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dreaming of a F10

Hi Jon D,
When Dad was originally looked at ordering his F10 we specified Adaptive Drive and Sports Auto and Steering Wheel.

His reason for the adaptive drive was actually more for comfort!
He liked the sports steering wheel and figured might as well go for the sports auto.
At least there is still the potential to adjust the steering.

Frustratingly we couldn't find a 530D with adaptive drive but did drive a 530D GT with adaptive drive so not a good comparison.

With regard to comfort they actually preferred the ride in Normal vs comfort. Drove a straight 530d immediately afterwards and concluded the "standard" ride was fine.

If you can I really would try and find a car to drive with the options you are thinking of ordering, its the only way you will know for sure!

I suspect though it won't make it feel like a 3 series!
Hope this helps!
Good luck
Cheers
Paul
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtaggert View Post
I might be wrong, haven't followed the various options of European models, but I thought that the M Sport package in Europe included the M Suspension (slightly lower and stiffer springs) and precluded the Adaptive Drive options.
Thanks for replying.
You're correct in that the M Sport includes the lowered and stiffened suspension, but Adaptive Drive is an option and when you select it, the configurator automatically deletes M Sport suspension.
Still don't know which way to go, but I have to decide quickly in order to beat the UK VAT increase which takes effect on 4th January.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmw103 View Post
Hi Jon D,
When Dad was originally looked at ordering his F10 we specified Adaptive Drive and Sports Auto and Steering Wheel.

His reason for the adaptive drive was actually more for comfort!
He liked the sports steering wheel and figured might as well go for the sports auto.
At least there is still the potential to adjust the steering.

Frustratingly we couldn't find a 530D with adaptive drive but did drive a 530D GT with adaptive drive so not a good comparison.

With regard to comfort they actually preferred the ride in Normal vs comfort. Drove a straight 530d immediately afterwards and concluded the "standard" ride was fine.

If you can I really would try and find a car to drive with the options you are thinking of ordering, its the only way you will know for sure!

I suspect though it won't make it feel like a 3 series!
Hope this helps!
Good luck
Cheers
Paul
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your thoughts.
If only I could find a demo car with adaptive drive, it would make the decision so much easier. Nothing in Aberdeen or Inverness, but I'll ring round Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Either way, I have to act soon in order to beat the dreaded VAT increase. My local dealer has build slots for delivery this year, but I have to decide within the next few days.
I know that, once I have a build slot, I can tweak things like colour and minor details, but I don't know how long I'll have to alter major options. One would think it would be up to point of production and I don't think that's before September, at the earliest. I ask in the morning.
As I often like to get the best out of our twisty Scottish roads, I'll probably opt for the Adaptive Drive and Sport Auto.
Cheers,
Jon
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

That's right, the M sport suspension cannot be combined with adaptive drive.

Bear in mind that the M sport suspension lowers the car, adaptive drive does not (not even in sport or sport plus modes).

I was as confused as you are, and ordered the F10 535 M with M sport suspension (and without adaptive drive of course). I guess, coming from an e92 you will probably never select the comfort or normal modes within adaptive drive, so why bother?
      08-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Jon D

I think you are reading it all correctly, and understand why you want it clear.

It is hard to get a car with Adaptive Drive for a demo, I haven't pushed my dealer to get one up here, as I'm waiting for the F11, (to be sure I want to buy one) before I really go heavy on the dealer. But I'd certainly want the sport auto to get the steering weighting to suit me. I'm 99% sure the ride on the SE is no good without the Adaptive Drive for the roads I drive, but would like to test the sport suspension before deciding if the electronic systems are necessary. I'd prefer the fixed components of a sport suspension, to keep some purity, but if it is too harsh in some conditions, Adaptive Drive will be the solution.

Test drives are the only way to get want we want, IMO.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Thanks for replying.
You're correct in that the M Sport includes the lowered and stiffened suspension, but Adaptive Drive is an option and when you select it, the configurator automatically deletes M Sport suspension.
Still don't know which way to go, but I have to decide quickly in order to beat the UK VAT increase which takes effect on 4th January.
Go for the adaptive drive, there are already a number of options for aftermarket springs that both lower and stiffen the suspension if you feel you need that.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinF10 View Post
Bear in mind that the M sport suspension lowers the car, adaptive drive does not (not even in sport or sport plus modes).
Adaptive Drive is 10mm lower than standard suspension... we sorted this in another thread, quoting BMW data.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
....As I often like to get the best out of our twisty Scottish roads, I'll probably opt for the Adaptive Drive and Sport Auto.
That is also my situation, highland roads need a good suspension system to drive well.

I'm minded for Adaptive Drive and Sport Auto. I use Grassick's at Perth and Colin Grassick believes I'll need Adaptive Drive to be happy with the ride quality. Just need to be sure the selected wheel size gets the best out of the RFTs. 18" or 19"? Still not sure which will work better on roads like the A82.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
535daHEfan
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 535dA HE

Hi Jon D,

I test-drove a 520d without adaptive drive and a 530d with adaptive drive. In my opinion the difference is huge; much more comfort with the adaptive drive. In the end I was convinced that for me this was an essential option, but I admid that is also the case for Integral Active Steering and lots of other options.

Take a look at the vid I refered to in my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535daHEfan View Post
Hi EdwinF10,

I also ordered a 535d yesterday

BTW, that whole thread is interesting for you.

Hope this helps you in your decision.
      08-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
That is also my situation, highland roads need a good suspension system to drive well.

I'm minded for Adaptive Drive and Sport Auto. I use Grassick's at Perth and Colin Grassick believes I'll need Adaptive Drive to be happy with the ride quality. Just need to be sure the selected wheel size gets the best out of the RFTs. 18" or 19"? Still not sure which will work better on roads like the A82.

HighlandPete
Many thanks for your replies; we obviously drive on similar roads, except that mine are a bit further north than yours.
It sounds as if you're getting more product knowledge from your dealer than I am from mine; but, no names - no pack drill
I'm feeling increasingly inclined toward the Adaptive Drive and I'll have a go with the 18's for starters.
I love my E92, but there are times when the 19's and M Sport suspension are a bit of a handful if you just want to admire the scenery.
The 530d SE I drove today was on 17's and I was seriously impressed - I had a good couple of hours and really went for it on some very twisty and uneven roads in torrential rain to boot! Certainly a great deal more roll and pitch than the E92, but very controllable at all times and significantly more comfortable.
I reckon the Adaptive Drive with 18's will be a good compromise - there you go, looks like I've just talked myself out of £2,310
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535daHEfan View Post
Hi Jon D,

I test-drove a 520d without adaptive drive and a 530d with adaptive drive. In my opinion the difference is huge; much more comfort with the adaptive drive. In the end I was convinced that for me this was an essential option, but I admid that is also the case for Integral Active Steering and lots of other options.

Take a look at the vid I refered to in my post
Many thanks for your thoughts and the excellent video.
You and your fellow respondents have really helped me reach a final decision - I'm going for the adaptive drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinF10 View Post
That's right, the M sport suspension cannot be combined with adaptive drive.

I was as confused as you are, and ordered the F10 535 M with M sport suspension (and without adaptive drive of course). I guess, coming from an e92 you will probably never select the comfort or normal modes within adaptive drive, so why bother?
I hear what you're saying about the E92 and I've loved every minute that I've spent in my 330d M Sport.
Yes, you can't beat it when you're really pushing it through the corners; however,the only problem I find is that, if you just want to take things easy and enjoy the scenery, it takes more concentration to handle the 19" wheels, than I found today in the F10.
On balance, I think I'll go for the Adaptive Drive with 18" rims, but I'll omit the active steering.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Adaptive Drive is 10mm lower than standard suspension... we sorted this in another thread, quoting BMW data.

HighlandPete
Where can I find that thread?
Thanks
      08-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

HighlandPete
This is incorrect, Adaptive Drive, or the DHP (ZDH) does not lower the car. The only package that lowers the car is the European M Sports Package that include the M Sports Suspension, which is not available in the US.

If you want to lower you car in the US, you'll have to go to 3rd party springs for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

I'm only stating what is written in...

PRESS RELEASE

THE NEW 6th GENERATION BMW 5 SERIES UNVEILED IN MUNICH (United States Version)

Quote:
The most sporting 5 Series Chassis to date.

The new 5 Series can be equipped with a Sport Package that adds Adaptive Drive, which contains several key features.

* Driving Dynamics Control, introduced on the 2009 BMW 7 Series and Z4 Roadster, allows the driver to set the ride/handling/drivetrain behavior of the car through a single rocker switch on the center console. Adjacent to the E-shift lever or manual shift lever is the Driving Dynamics Control selector (logically, on the driver's side). Driving Dynamics Control provides four standard settings that tailor vehicle behavior to different moods. The settings are Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport+. Affected vehicle parameters include engine throttle response, transmission shift characteristics, power-steering assistance level, and Dynamic Traction Control mode (in the Sport+ setting).
* Dynamic Damping Control is an evolution of the Electronic Damping Control (EDC) that has been available on several BMW models. On the new 5 Series, Dynamic Damping Control (DDC) is combined with a slightly lowered (10mm) suspension.
If it not so, then why did BMW put out the info?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #18
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
f it not so, then why did BMW put out the info?
I have no clue. What is odd also is that the amount lowered (in your release) is the same 10mm stated for that of the European M Sport Suspension.

I have a couple of people that I can ask, would answer a lot of questions if we found out that they're using different springs in the US.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

To me, it is reasonable that Dynamic Drive would have the same ride height and centre of gravity as the M-sport suspension, as after all, it is capable of a similar sport suspension setting. With variable damping, comfort can be gained without having to have a longer spring travel (and/or lower spring rate) which we normally associate with suspension setups for a more comfort orientated ride.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #20
tirtaps
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d e92

Garage List
2008 335D e92  [0.00]
2005 330d  [0.00]
Hi,

I'm new on this forum.

I own a e92 335d and I am looking for a new F13 6 series 640d M sport.
I am a bit disapointted too about the adaptive drive, my dealer too. In Fact, I would like to have the same fimrness and rigidity than e92. Is adaptive drive able to improve firmness more than M sport package ?
      07-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #21
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
To me, it is reasonable that Dynamic Drive would have the same ride height and centre of gravity as the M-sport suspension, as after all, it is capable of a similar sport suspension setting. With variable damping, comfort can be gained without having to have a longer spring travel (and/or lower spring rate) which we normally associate with suspension setups for a more comfort orientated ride.

HighlandPete
Don't think it's lowered cos cars with DDC use same front spring PN as cars with standard suspension. Mtech uses totally different PNs for front & rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #22
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtaps View Post
Hi,

I'm new on this forum.

I own a e92 335d and I am looking for a new F13 6 series 640d M sport.
I am a bit disapointted too about the adaptive drive, my dealer too. In Fact, I would like to have the same fimrness and rigidity than e92. Is adaptive drive able to improve firmness more than M sport package ?
I think if u want same firmness then probably u'll have to look aftermarket.
Appreciate 0