2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2021 F1 onwards
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #45
M5Rick
Lieutenant General
M5Rick's Avatar
39746
Rep
14,033
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
MAX is doing well...
I must say Max is looking especially cool in such glamorous company
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2019, 09:44 PM   #46
racerbruce
Colonel
racerbruce's Avatar
3650
Rep
2,867
Posts

Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Banked turns -

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
The 32 percent slope of the Arie Luyendyk last corner will be about double of the one at Indianapolis and I believe the third corner will have some 18 degrees.
Indy is 9 degrees banked:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...0-track-facts/

Daytona is 31 degrees banked:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...htmlstory.html
__________________
Racerbruce
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 04:29 AM   #47
M5Rick
Lieutenant General
M5Rick's Avatar
39746
Rep
14,033
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
I noticed that Indy has 250000 permanent seats, that's just wow!
I recently watched a vid of the late Barry Sheene m/bike racer after his crash saying the banking at Daytona where he came off was around 40 deg, that makes it about the highest angle for a banking at any track.

Last edited by M5Rick; 12-29-2019 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #48
///M Power-Belgium
General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
49928
Rep
21,158
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I must say Max is looking especially cool in such glamorous company
Just chosen as the best race of the decade..

__________________
"MAX VERSTAPPEN" IS THE 2021+2022 F1 WORLD CHAMPION - #UnLeashTheLion

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick39745.50
      12-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #49
M5Rick
Lieutenant General
M5Rick's Avatar
39746
Rep
14,033
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Just chosen as the best race of the decade..

1.Max.
2.Seb.
This is just about the best one.The Mercs were nowhere,Val going off at massive speed like a clueless boy racer,Ham lost in the woods with bent wheel hangers and a 5 sec penalty and Toto had a fit:''I don't believe it''!
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #50
racerbruce
Colonel
racerbruce's Avatar
3650
Rep
2,867
Posts

Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Daytona!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I noticed that Indy has 250000 permanent seats, that's just wow!
I recently watched a vid of the late Barry Sheene m/bike racer after his crash saying the banking at Daytona where he came off was around 40 deg, that makes it about the highest angle for a banking at any track.
Check out the people standing on the 31 degree banked turn! https://www.hellcat.org/threads/dayt...erience.57953/

Would LOVE to be at the 24 Hours of Daytona to see FIA World Sports Cars....
https://www.daytonainternationalspee...t-Daytona.aspx
__________________
Racerbruce
Appreciate 2
M5Rick39745.50
      12-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #51
M5Rick
Lieutenant General
M5Rick's Avatar
39746
Rep
14,033
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Check out the people standing on the 31 degree banked turn! https://www.hellcat.org/threads/dayt...erience.57953/

Would LOVE to be at the 24 Hours of Daytona to see FIA World Sports Cars....
https://www.daytonainternationalspee...t-Daytona.aspx
Holy Geronimo! You just don't imagine it's going to be that steep..I've stood on the old surviving Brooklands track banking in Surrey a few times but it's nothing, doesn't even come close compared with this.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #52
///M Power-Belgium
General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
49928
Rep
21,158
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Check out the people standing on the 31 degree banked turn! https://www.hellcat.org/threads/dayt...erience.57953/

Would LOVE to be at the 24 Hours of Daytona to see FIA World Sports Cars....
https://www.daytonainternationalspee...t-Daytona.aspx
Wow ! This shows a 31 degree banked turn !
Zandvoort with the 32 degree banked turn is insane !
Thanks for sharing !
Attached Images
 
__________________
"MAX VERSTAPPEN" IS THE 2021+2022 F1 WORLD CHAMPION - #UnLeashTheLion

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick39745.50
      12-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #53
M5Rick
Lieutenant General
M5Rick's Avatar
39746
Rep
14,033
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Imagine taking your own M or Z round that banking at the max and the resistance pressure on the outside tyres doesn't bear thinking about let alone what NASCAR racer tyres have to contend with.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #54
racerbruce
Colonel
racerbruce's Avatar
3650
Rep
2,867
Posts

Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Brooklands....

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Holy Geronimo! You just don't imagine it's going to be that steep..I've stood on the old surviving Brooklands track banking in Surrey a few times but it's nothing, doesn't even come close compared with this.
Wowie!
You were standing at Brooklands on a 30 degree banked turn! Tell us about your site visit to such an iconic track -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookl...rom_bridge.jpg
__________________
Racerbruce
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #55
3798j
Major
3798j's Avatar
7429
Rep
1,479
Posts

Drives: E86 3.0si
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Susquehanna Valley

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [9.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
Formula 1 on steep banking?...Here you go. Autodrome de Linus-Monthlery
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 3
M5Rick39745.50
MKSixer34001.00
      12-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #56
racerbruce
Colonel
racerbruce's Avatar
3650
Rep
2,867
Posts

Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Just outside Paris....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
Formula 1 on steep banking?...Here you go. Autodrome de Linus-Monthlery
INCREDIBLE!
Wasn't aware of this track; we LOVE Paris and have visited three times and would love to tour this track the next time we're in the area; check out the lack of guard rails at the top of the banked turns; spent a few minutes looking for the exact degree banking of the turns but didn't find it.
__________________
Racerbruce
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #57
M5Rick
Lieutenant General
M5Rick's Avatar
39746
Rep
14,033
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Wowie!
You were standing at Brooklands on a 30 degree banked turn! Tell us about your site visit to such an iconic track -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookl...rom_bridge.jpg
Not only standing but with my Porsche 928S a while ago now when I was with the Porsche club of GB.
The last time together with my son 'walked the walk' of the remaining track as far as we could and imagined what it was like back in it's heyday.
Part of the track is now used to train under 17 years of age learner drivers on Merc A class's by the Mercedes World establishment which you may have heard of, (my own son taking advantage of this) it's to prepare them before hand for driving lessons on public roads together with preparing for the driving test sooner with the gained experience beforehand.
I myself have occasionally honed my driving skills on the AMG Pace Track, next to the broken up old track, with the experienced co-driver in a C63 or E63 showing how you can further improve your driving skills including the famous water drenched roundabout where you learn to go round sideways with dct off.Not easy and all GREAT fun!
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #58
racerbruce
Colonel
racerbruce's Avatar
3650
Rep
2,867
Posts

Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Brooklands....

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Not only standing but with my Porsche 928S a while ago now when I was with the Porsche club of GB.
The last time together with my son 'walked the walk' of the remaining track as far as we could and imagined what it was like back in it's heyday.
Part of the track is now used to train under 17 years of age learner drivers on Merc A class's by the Mercedes World establishment which you may have heard of, (my own son taking advantage of this) it's to prepare them before hand for driving lessons on public roads together with preparing for the driving test sooner with the gained experience beforehand.
I myself have occasionally honed my driving skills on the AMG Pace Track, next to the broken up old track, with the experienced co-driver in a C63 or E63 showing how you can further improve your driving skills including the famous water drenched roundabout where you learn to go round sideways with dct off.Not easy and all GREAT fun!
Incredible!
Such memories; such a famous track and airfield.
__________________
Racerbruce
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #59
///M Power-Belgium
General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
49928
Rep
21,158
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
INCREDIBLE!
Wasn't aware of this track; we LOVE Paris and have visited three times and would love to tour this track the next time we're in the area; check out the lack of guard rails at the top of the banked turns; spent a few minutes looking for the exact degree banking of the turns but didn't find it.
"51 degrees" !
Attached Images
 
__________________
"MAX VERSTAPPEN" IS THE 2021+2022 F1 WORLD CHAMPION - #UnLeashTheLion

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick39745.50
beats211.00
MKSixer34001.00
      12-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #60
M5Rick
Lieutenant General
M5Rick's Avatar
39746
Rep
14,033
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Incredible!
Such memories; such a famous track and airfield.
The once used but now closed airfield has on display quite a few aircraft including a fully refurbished Concorde together with a VC10 airliner and other smaller aircraft.
Last we were there, a bus museum was introduced with modern and pre war vehicles all in superb conditions,a new feature; there's also a part for just aircraft engines.
What interested us a lot were the many small buildings in the period time when the old track was in use and add the plethora of classic and modern sports cars on a 'club day' like my Porsche club and you have the perfect day out with it being around half hour or so drive from me!
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #61
racerbruce
Colonel
racerbruce's Avatar
3650
Rep
2,867
Posts

Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

51 Degrees!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
"51 degrees" !
WHOA!!!!
The Daytona's 31 degrees....can you imagine another 20 degrees?? That's just CRAZY....thank you for finding this; perhaps this is why there are no guard rails at the top of the banking (as depicted in post 57's photo)....the G force and inertia would lead to the car sliding down the banking and not up??
__________________
Racerbruce
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #62
///M Power-Belgium
General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
49928
Rep
21,158
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
WHOA!!!!
The Daytona's 31 degrees....can you imagine another 20 degrees?? That's just CRAZY....thank you for finding this; perhaps this is why there are no guard rails at the top of the banking (as depicted in post 57's photo)....the G force and inertia would lead to the car sliding down the banking and not up??
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Mountaineering ropes come to mind there...
According Wikipedia , it has several high-speed problems :

Industrialist Alexandre Lamblin hired René Jamin to design the 2,548.24 metres (1.58 miles) oval shaped track for up to 1,000 kg (2,205 lb) vehicles at 220 km/h (140 mph). It was initially called Autodrome parisien, and had especially high banking. A road circuit was added in 1925.

The first race there, the 1925 French Grand Prix, was held on 26 July 1925 and organised by The Automobile Club de France Grand Prix. It was a race in which Robert Benoist in a Delage won; Antonio Ascari died in an Alfa Romeo P2. The Grand Prix revisited the track in 1927 and each year between 1931 and 1937.

In 1939 the track was sold to the government, deprived of maintenance, and again sold to Union technique de l’automobile et du cycle (UTAC) in December 1946.

The "Coupe du Salon", "Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or" and the "1000 km" were arranged irregularly since then, as the track has had several high-speed problems.

Fatal accidents at Autodrome de Montlhéry include Benoît Nicolas Musy (1956), and the one in which Peter Lindner, Franco Patria and three flag marshals died in 1964.

The last certification for racing was gained in 2001.

"1923"
Attached Images
 
__________________
"MAX VERSTAPPEN" IS THE 2021+2022 F1 WORLD CHAMPION - #UnLeashTheLion

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 12-29-2019 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick39745.50
      12-29-2019, 05:42 PM   #63
M5Rick
Lieutenant General
M5Rick's Avatar
39746
Rep
14,033
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
According Wikipedia , it has several high-speed problems :

Industrialist Alexandre Lamblin hired René Jamin to design the 2,548.24 metres (1.58 miles) oval shaped track for up to 1,000 kg (2,205 lb) vehicles at 220 km/h (140 mph). It was initially called Autodrome parisien, and had especially high banking. A road circuit was added in 1925.

The first race there, the 1925 French Grand Prix, was held on 26 July 1925 and organised by The Automobile Club de France Grand Prix. It was a race in which Robert Benoist in a Delage won; Antonio Ascari died in an Alfa Romeo P2. The Grand Prix revisited the track in 1927 and each year between 1931 and 1937.

In 1939 the track was sold to the government, deprived of maintenance, and again sold to Union technique de l’automobile et du cycle (UTAC) in December 1946.

The "Coupe du Salon", "Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or" and the "1000 km" were arranged irregularly since then, as the track has had several high-speed problems.

Fatal accidents at Autodrome de Montlhéry include Benoît Nicolas Musy (1956), and the one in which Peter Lindner, Franco Patria and three flag marshals died in 1964.

The last certification for racing was gained in 2001.

"1923"
To go round it..www.circuitsofthepast.nl It's in good condition and well maintained.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #64
///M Power-Belgium
General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
49928
Rep
21,158
Posts

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
To go round it..www.circuitsofthepast.nl It's in good condition and well maintained.


__________________
"MAX VERSTAPPEN" IS THE 2021+2022 F1 WORLD CHAMPION - #UnLeashTheLion

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick39745.50
      12-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #65
M5Rick
Lieutenant General
M5Rick's Avatar
39746
Rep
14,033
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post


Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #66
racerbruce
Colonel
racerbruce's Avatar
3650
Rep
2,867
Posts

Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

1923....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
According Wikipedia , it has several high-speed problems :

Industrialist Alexandre Lamblin hired René Jamin to design the 2,548.24 metres (1.58 miles) oval shaped track for up to 1,000 kg (2,205 lb) vehicles at 220 km/h (140 mph). It was initially called Autodrome parisien, and had especially high banking. A road circuit was added in 1925.

The first race there, the 1925 French Grand Prix, was held on 26 July 1925 and organised by The Automobile Club de France Grand Prix. It was a race in which Robert Benoist in a Delage won; Antonio Ascari died in an Alfa Romeo P2. The Grand Prix revisited the track in 1927 and each year between 1931 and 1937.

In 1939 the track was sold to the government, deprived of maintenance, and again sold to Union technique de l’automobile et du cycle (UTAC) in December 1946.

The "Coupe du Salon", "Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or" and the "1000 km" were arranged irregularly since then, as the track has had several high-speed problems.

Fatal accidents at Autodrome de Montlhéry include Benoît Nicolas Musy (1956), and the one in which Peter Lindner, Franco Patria and three flag marshals died in 1964.

The last certification for racing was gained in 2001.

"1923"
Great pic!!!
__________________
Racerbruce
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST