2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Clay bar and general polishing questions

04-29-2019, 11:06 PM   #1
ferizzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550xi M-Sport

Clay bar and general polishing questions

Hey y'all. I'm relatively new to the community and recently got an F10 550 M-sport. Really love the car. I probably won't do a ton to it but already added the BMS stage 1 and some matte black double slat grills. Plan on pairing the stock wheels a dark gray at some point, hopefully this summer.

Anyway, point of this post was a couple questions/thoughts on detailing:

How often do you folks clay bar, detail, polish/wax car?

Does anyone use the dust brush for daily pollen removal?

I just washed/clayed/polished the car using chemical guy products. Car looks great but has its share of swirl marks. Unfortunately I live in manhattan and no access to a garage right now so can't do a thorough detail. Eventually will probably have detailed once a year by a pro. Anyway. Appreciate any thoughts

FYI, I did search and read several threads but still had the above questions. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:36 AM   #2
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe

My friend, THIS THREAD was posted for you a long time ago. You definitely need to give it a few looks. It will answer all of your questions and then some and I can answer ANY you may have remaining.
      04-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
ferizzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
My friend, THIS THREAD was posted for you a long time ago. You definitely need to give it a few looks. It will answer all of your questions and then some and I can answer ANY you may have remaining.
Thanks Junkman. I will definitely watch and saw some of your threads before. I have not watched video because I don't have a garage and thus no access to orbital machines. Either way I will check out as I am sure there is great info there.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_MD View Post
... I haven't come up with a good regimen for my new BMW, but I'll probably try Meguiar's 105 with the rotary on a purple foamed wool pad, and then follow with Meguiar's 205 on a white foam pad on the Porter Cable to jewel it. I've had good luck with that process on past vehicles.
HOLY COW dude, are you an expert with a rotary??? Even if you were, why in the world would you use a WOOL PAD with M105 on your paint if it is in any kind of good shape??? Do you have a paint thickness gauge? Do you have any idea how much clear coat that you can wipe off the car in a single buffing cycle with that combination???

If you are not trying to have to get your car repainted, you will NOT remotely try that combination. This is why I don't teach people how to use a rotary on You Tube. Guys would be screwing their paint jobs up by the thousands. You may as well schedule a visit to the paint booth if that is what you have planned. I never use anything more aggressive than a dual-action polisher and my paint looks like glass. I see premature clear coat failure in your future.

This is a car I did with a Flex polisher, using a FOAM PAD and Optimum's compound and polish. Nowhere near as brutal as the stuff you're talking about. And no, there is not a DROP OF WAX on the car. It was a trick question. People who watch my detailing videos know the deal.