2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Drivetrain malfunction

09-08-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
Therdleg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i xdrive 2012

Bad mass airflow sensor

Can a faulty mass airflow sensor cause drivetrain malfunction to display?
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
BMW550mike
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therdleg View Post
To answer your question; yes, it can. I had a couple o2 sensors go bad at the end of the exhaust manifold that would spring up limp home mode and a "drivetrain malfunction" every time I would give it the beans. Anything that alters the vehicles ability to calculate fuel to air ratio on the fly is going to cause a malfunction due to the fact it starts guesstimating when a sensor goes bad and the system cannot guess the mix faster than you can step on the gas. Would recommend pulling codes to make sure.
      09-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
Therdleg
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW550mike View Post
Quote:
To answer your question; yes, it can. I had a couple o2 sensors go bad at the end of the exhaust manifold that would spring up limp home mode and a "drivetrain malfunction" every time I would give it the beans. Anything that alters the vehicles ability to calculate fuel to air ratio on the fly is going to cause a malfunction due to the fact it starts guesstimating when a sensor goes bad and the system cannot guess the mix faster than you can step on the gas. Would recommend pulling codes to make sure.
After getting the air intake hose replaced. Mass airflow sensor and oil filter housing fixed. Drive train malfunction is still on. Stuck in limp mode. Independent dealer is now saying the timing chain is loose. Had the timing chain replaced in 2017. It's at bmw now. They are gong to do diagnostic for free and let me know what is actually wrong tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #4
BMW550mike
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
After getting the air intake hose replaced. Mass airflow sensor and oil filter housing fixed. Drive train malfunction is still on. Stuck in limp mode. Independent dealer is now saying the timing chain is loose. Had the timing chain replaced in 2017. It's at bmw now. They are gong to do diagnostic for free and let me know what is actually wrong tomorrow.
That's nice of them, dealers are stingy when it comes to doing things for free lol. Did you have your indy replace your airflow sensor or did he test it for faults and clear the code..? Best of luck with it, hope it's nothing serious
      09-11-2019, 04:07 AM   #5
Therdleg
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's nice of them, dealers are stingy when it comes to doing things for free lol. Did you have your indy replace your airflow sensor or did he test it for faults and clear the code..? Best of luck with it, hope it's nothing serious
They held off on the sensor. Once they replaced the intake it stopped giving faulty readings.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2019, 04:34 AM   #6
Therdleg
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The oil leaked dropped on the drove belt. Belt broke. Prices got into the motor and oil pan. That caused the timing to be off. Total came to $3800. They are replacing a not and tensioner. And cleaning out all the extra prices of the shredded belt. I talked to the service manager. He reduced it to $1800. This is in a 2012 528i xdrive.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
BMW550mike
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The oil leaked dropped on the drove belt. Belt broke. Prices got into the motor and oil pan. That caused the timing to be off. Total came to $3800. They are replacing a not and tensioner. And cleaning out all the extra prices of the shredded belt. I talked to the service manager. He reduced it to $1800. This is in a 2012 528i xdrive.
That is a good price considering you're at the dealership and and that's all the work / labor needed to fix the car. Hope all turns out well!
      09-17-2019, 06:21 AM   #8
forbes500life
Rep
Drives: BMW 528I Xdrive

I am having drivetrain malfunction issues on my 2013 528i xdrive.

The codes I am getting are:11A002, 11AC02, 213601, 108A01, P0015, and P0087.

The car has a brand new engine, turbo, air filter, tmap, fuel pressure sensor, lpfp, hpfp, spark plugs, and coils. I have also cleaned the MAF.

I am lost on what to do next.

Please... Please... provide assistance on next steps to take.

Thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
BMW550mike
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbes500life View Post
I am having drivetrain malfunction issues on my 2013 528i xdrive.

The codes I am getting are:11A002, 11AC02, 213601, 108A01, P0015, and P0087.

The car has a brand new engine, turbo, air filter, tmap, fuel pressure sensor, lpfp, hpfp, spark plugs, and coils. I have also cleaned the MAF.

I am lost on what to do next.

Please... Please... provide assistance on next steps to take.

Thanks in advanced.
Forbes, what does mileage look like on the car? And with the new engine I'm sure there's an associated warranty for parts etc?
      09-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #10
forbes500life
Rep

@BMW550mike

Prior to the engine & turbo being replaced there was 117892 miles on car. Since leaving the shop last year (12/5/2018) I put only 448 miles on car.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #11
BMW550mike
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@BMW550mike

Prior to the engine & turbo being replaced there was 117892 miles on car. Since leaving the shop last year (12/5/2018) I put only 448 miles on car.
Forbes if the engine (wether it be a brand new engine or a remanufactured engine) directly from BMW and they did the work to replace it, they warranty their parts for 2 years after the date you drive it off the lot. Given the fact you've replaced most everything in that car more recently, I would bring it into them and have them take a look at it. They'll honor their warranty if those parts are in fact causing the problem.
      09-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
forbes500life
Rep

BMW550mike

I will schedule an appointment for tomorrow to get it looked at. Thank you so much for the feedback. I will keep posted on what they say. Drove it to work yesterday and it drove fairly well, however I am still not getting enough boost/power. [IMG][/IMG]

I posted some of my most recent fault codes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 01:08 AM   #13
BMW550mike
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW550mike

I will schedule an appointment for tomorrow to get it looked at. Thank you so much for the feedback. I will keep posted on what they say. Drove it to work yesterday and it drove fairly well, however I am still not getting enough boost/power. [IMG][/IMG]

I posted some of my most recent fault codes.
Forbes, I had a similar ECU malfunction recently as well. Took it into the dealer and they told me the systems fault memory needed to be cleared/updated and that got rid of the issue never to be seen again. Hopefully your issues are something small and not vastly complicated. Best of luck man, keep us posted!
      06-28-2020, 08:58 PM   #14
dewana421
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 535i 2012

It happened to me but luckily belt didnt break...i made a video and fixed it myself..

Appreciate 1
      06-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewana421 View Post
It happened to me but luckily belt didnt break...i made a video and fixed it myself..

Great video
Appreciate 0