2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes What tires for occasional trips to deep winter (Tahoe)?

09-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

What tires for occasional trips to deep winter (Tahoe)?

I posted this question in another thread, but I guess it deserves its own.
I'm in Northern California and take several day ski trips to Tahoe during the season. And while it can be very cold, snowy, and icy up in the Sierras, coming back to the Bay Area the temperature is usually 50F-60F during commute times. So I'm trying to find a solution for the RWD F10.
I have chains, but those are last resort, and do nothing for you in the trunk when you suddenly hit a snow or ice patch. Dedicated winter tires would be great for the trip, but then my daily commute would quickly kill them (not to mention they are soft and dangerous when temps are warm). And I'm NOT planning to swap wheels/tires every weekend!
I have recently found Vredestein tires at tire rack. They are all season, but also "Severe Snow Service" rated (3 Mountain Peaks symbol). The reviews seem pretty positive. Would that be a good solution? Or is it just as deadly as regular all seasons?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=445YR8QTPXL

Any other ideas or suggestions? Perhaps someone with similar experience had found an affordable solution (so not "buy a spare winter car")?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Those look more like snow tires than all season tires.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
walmark
Apprentice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Those look more like snow tires than all season tires.
I think the inboard half looks like a snow tire, and the compound is probably formulated not to be destroyed in warmer weather.
I hope that someone with first hand experience comments on these tires, as they really peaked my interest for the intended purpose.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
The Quatrac Pro meets industry severe snow service requirements and is designed to be a one-tire solution for drivers in environments that experience all four seasons, but don''t receive sufficient snowfall to require a dedicated winter tire.
I have NO experience here, so YMMV, but that looks like it fits your requirements.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
walmark
Apprentice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I have NO experience here, so YMMV, but that looks like it fits your requirements.
Exactly, the description does fit perfect, and I might end up biting the bullet and checking them out myself. But I still hope that someone else actually used them and will perhaps chime in.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Nokian (the Hakkapeliitta Nokian) has a line of All Weather tires too. Currently the WR G4

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat.../nokian-wr-g4/
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 11:29 PM   #7
1margarette
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Continental ExtremeContact tires will always be my favorite all-season tires. It works well on different road and weather conditions. I got my second set at a discounted price from 4wheelonline. Keep in mind though that there's a huge difference between winter and all-season tires. Researching will help you gain more ideas about these tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1margarette View Post
Continental ExtremeContact tires will always be my favorite all-season tires. It works well on different road and weather conditions. I got my second set at a discounted price from 4wheelonline. Keep in mind though that there's a huge difference between winter and all-season tires. Researching will help you gain more ideas about these tires.
And keep in mind that "All Weather" is not the same as "All Season". It may be mostly marketing semantics, but "All Weather" is more capable in winter conditions. Nokian's All Weather line was at least good enough to earn the "snowflake" symbol to count as winter tires in jurisdictions which require them by law.

I know folks using Nokian WR series tires as dedicated "performance" winter tires. I also know folks using them all year round.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #9
1margarette
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
And keep in mind that "All Weather" is not the same as "All Season". It may be mostly marketing semantics, but "All Weather" is more capable in winter conditions. Nokian's All Weather line was at least good enough to earn the "snowflake" symbol to count as winter tires in jurisdictions which require them by law.

I know folks using Nokian WR series tires as dedicated "performance" winter tires. I also know folks using them all year round.
Thank you for the information, I haven't tried that product yet but I might consider it in the future.
Appreciate 0