2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes The "normal position" for suspension

08-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #1
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

The "normal position" for suspension

As per BMW's literature, certain bolts need to be tightened down in the normal position. I DIY'd my coilover install over the week and it was a total bitch, but I'm trying to figure out if how I achieved normal position is okay. The car was on jackstands on the 4 jack pad points, for a starting reference. When torquing the bolts down, I jacked up the side being worked on via the wheel carrier for the front and swing arm for the rear, until it was holding enough weight that any further jacking was actually starting to lift the whole car. The opposing side was left on the normal jack stand position. In hindsight, the rear should have been jacked up via the wheel carrier as well, but I don't think there's much of a difference.

Is this okay, or is it important to have weight on the suspension for both the side being worked on and the opposite side? Trying not to tear any bushings. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
You're fine. The reason for it is so the bushings are in their relaxed state. If you got it close enough, that's good enough.

I did my KW install 2 weeks ago and what I do is bring the wheels down on ramps, that way I still have plenty of clearance to get under the car to do the final torquing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
As per BMW's literature, certain bolts need to be tightened down in the normal position. I DIY'd my coilover install over the week and it was a total bitch, but I'm trying to figure out if how I achieved normal position is okay. The car was on jackstands on the 4 jack pad points, for a starting reference. When torquing the bolts down, I jacked up the side being worked on via the wheel carrier for the front and swing arm for the rear, until it was holding enough weight that any further jacking was actually starting to lift the whole car. The opposing side was left on the normal jack stand position. In hindsight, the rear should have been jacked up via the wheel carrier as well, but I don't think there's much of a difference.

Is this okay, or is it important to have weight on the suspension for both the side being worked on and the opposite side? Trying not to tear any bushings. Thanks!
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 1
SWFLf10372.00
      08-05-2020, 12:32 AM   #3
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
You're fine. The reason for it is so the bushings are in their relaxed state. If you got it close enough, that's good enough.

I did my KW install 2 weeks ago and what I do is bring the wheels down on ramps, that way I still have plenty of clearance to get under the car to do the final torquing.
i was being lazy and was doing it this way so I wouldn't have to put the wheel on. It was hot as hell and I was running out of motivation/energy. But good to hear that if it's close, it's good enough. I'd say there was at most a 1 inch difference at most.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
You need to get yourself a lift man!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0