2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) How often do you wax?

06-06-2023, 05:56 AM   #1
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i

How often do you wax?

I enjoy cleaning my car, so don't mind waxing often.
What I wonder about is when folks say they get xx amount of months etc out of a coating of wax... I have never found this to be true on my car, wonder if I am missing something.

So, say I give my car a good wash, snow foam it, then bucket wash with any decent non-stripping/prep wash, and dry it. I then apply either a butter wax or collinate, and as I am applying, I can notice an obvious difference in depth of shine between the areas I've done, and areas I haven't, so all good.

If I then wash my car the next week, again, not using a prep type of shampoo, but just a typical shampoo like Meguiars Gold, and start waxing again, I can again see the obvious difference between the areas I've done vs areas I have not gotten to yet.

So what am I missing? If I can see the diff when applying a week later, doesn't that mean the first wax application was pretty much gone after the week??
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:04 AM   #2
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

This is complicated but no. What you're noticing- that extra shine and the really tight water beading aren't fool proof indicators that the wax is still there or not. There's a little more to it than that, and some of the protection a wax provides isn't something you'll really see. It takes longer for wax to wear off than people typically think. All that gloss and the super cool water beading might not be there, but that doesn't mean the wax is gone.

I used to spend a lot of time on Autopia and this subject came up a lot. Some of these guys get pretty intensive about the tests they do to get an idea of how long a wax will last. Trust me, that wax is still there after a couple of weeks, and for quite a while after. Even if the gloss has faded.
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2023, 09:48 AM   #3
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock645 View Post
This is complicated but no. What you're noticing- that extra shine and the really tight water beading aren't fool proof indicators that the wax is still there or not. There's a little more to it than that, and some of the protection a wax provides isn't something you'll really see. It takes longer for wax to wear off than people typically think. All that gloss and the super cool water beading might not be there, but that doesn't mean the wax is gone.

I used to spend a lot of time on Autopia and this subject came up a lot. Some of these guys get pretty intensive about the tests they do to get an idea of how long a wax will last. Trust me, that wax is still there after a couple of weeks, and for quite a while after. Even if the gloss has faded.
OK, so if the shine and/or beading are gone after a week.......does it really matter if there is still some wax there or not?
When someone says "Oh I get 3 months out of this wax" - what are they 'getting' if most of the extra shine is gone?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:49 AM   #4
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Not for the last 3 years since I've had both the old F80 and current J29 ceramic coated
Foam bath, 2 bucket agitation, quick rinse, air dry
Final touch with gigantic Adam's waffle towel
Takes longer to set up my pressure washer
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:56 AM   #5
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Not for the last 3 years since I've had both the old F80 and current J29 ceramic coated
Foam bath, 2 bucket agitation, quick rinse, air dry
Final touch with gigantic Adam's waffle towel
Takes longer to set up my pressure washer
Getting a little off topic, but, is it actually bad to wax a car that has a ceramic coating?
Disclaimer - I only work on my own cars, I'm not a business..

I did my own paint correction which went OK, def not professional level as I could still see some very fine lines if I looked close (even after using a microfiber pad and griots correcting cream). I then applied MOHS Evo which went on super easy.
But since then I have waxed it, and it always still looks better after waxing. But after reading more online, it seems that maybe I should not have been doing this? But again, the car still looks better after....
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:02 AM   #6
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
OK, so if the shine and/or beading are gone after a week.......does it really matter if there is still some wax there or not?
When someone says "Oh I get 3 months out of this wax" - what are they 'getting' if most of the extra shine is gone?
After a few weeks / months and even though the gloss or glow may not be as fresh, you should still see beading. Also, surface contaminants should be easier to remove than a surface that has not been waxed or sealed in a long time.

To answer your question, I wax probably every 4-8 weeks depending on my mood and other commitments. But products I use / have used last much longer. I just enjoy the process.

You seem disappointed with or at least skeptical of your wax. What are you using?
      06-06-2023, 11:30 AM   #7
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
After a few weeks / months and even though the gloss or glow may not be as fresh, you should still see beading. Also, surface contaminants should be easier to remove than a surface that has not been waxed or sealed in a long time.

To answer your question, I wax probably every 4-8 weeks depending on my mood and other commitments. But products I use / have used last much longer. I just enjoy the process.

You seem disappointed with or at least skeptical of your wax. What are you using?
Nope honestly not disappointed at all, I was just wondering if I was missing something, or doing something wrong, if I was able to notice a difference even waxing every week. I actually enjoy the process, find cleaning the car very relaxing.
For waxes I have mostly used CG Butter Wax and Collinite 845.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 12:00 PM   #8
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nope honestly not disappointed at all, I was just wondering if I was missing something, or doing something wrong, if I was able to notice a difference even waxing every week. I actually enjoy the process, find cleaning the car very relaxing.
For waxes I have mostly used CG Butter Wax and Collinite 845.
OK, I know of, but am not familiar with using CG Butter Wax. I used 845 for many years. It is one of the most durable / long lasting out there. And it looks great (like any quality hybrid sealant/wax), but nothing unique or special.

I have found 2 detail sprays that are great toppers for extended looks and protection:

1. Pinnacle Crystal Mist Carnauba* - from Autogeek, Autopia, Pinnacle sites (all the same parent co). As a carnauba product it enhances with a warm glow rather than bright reflection. Not cheap, but by far my favorite detail spray. I am currently waiting for gallons to restock. https://www.autogeek.net/pincrysmis.html

*There are also ceramic and SiO2 variants of Crystal Mist, which are probably a brighter / glossier look, but I have not tried.

2. Duragloss Rinseless Wash - Mix in a spray bottle ~ 10:1 - 12:1 with water and use as a detail spray. Contains aquawax, which is a great stand-alone spray wax on its own, but is much easier to use in this form. Cool bubblegum pink product that as a detail spray, a bottle goes a long way. https://www.amazon.com/Duragloss-931...s%2C106&sr=8-1
M5Rick60013.50
      06-06-2023, 01:16 PM   #9
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK, I know of, but am not familiar with using CG Butter Wax. I used 845 for many years. It is one of the most durable / long lasting out there. And it looks great (like any quality hybrid sealant/wax), but nothing unique or special.

I have found 2 detail sprays that are great toppers for extended looks and protection:

1. Pinnacle Crystal Mist Carnauba* - from Autogeek, Autopia, Pinnacle sites (all the same parent co). As a carnauba product it enhances with a warm glow rather than bright reflection. Not cheap, but by far my favorite detail spray. I am currently waiting for gallons to restock. https://www.autogeek.net/pincrysmis.html

*There are also ceramic and SiO2 variants of Crystal Mist, which are probably a brighter / glossier look, but I have not tried.

2. Duragloss Rinseless Wash - Mix in a spray bottle ~ 10:1 - 12:1 with water and use as a detail spray. Contains aquawax, which is a great stand-alone spray wax on its own, but is much easier to use in this form. Cool bubblegum pink product that as a detail spray, a bottle goes a long way. https://www.amazon.com/Duragloss-931...s%2C106&sr=8-1

Cool, thx!
I do sometimes use a finishing/sealant spray, usually Adams pink Detail Spray.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:08 PM   #10
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Getting a little off topic, but, is it actually bad to wax a car that has a ceramic coating?
Disclaimer - I only work on my own cars, I'm not a business..

I did my own paint correction which went OK, def not professional level as I could still see some very fine lines if I looked close (even after using a microfiber pad and griots correcting cream). I then applied MOHS Evo which went on super easy.
But since then I have waxed it, and it always still looks better after waxing. But after reading more online, it seems that maybe I should not have been doing this? But again, the car still looks better after....
It’s not bad at all. It’s a preference thing. Some people like to wax over a coating because they enjoy waxing and they want that extra sacrificial layer. Others prefer leaving a coating naked other than a SiO2 spray topper, as a naked coating exhibits coating qualities the best.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:10 PM   #11
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They’re getting a thin layer of protection on the paint against the elements. Might not be sexy but it’s still doing something.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:12 PM   #12
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

ditch the wax. i'm amazed how many folks still use waxes/sealants on daily drivers. there are much better products to withstand the elements. i only use wax on my classic and that's becuase i drive it on weekends only, no rain, and i'm after the ultimate show shine finish.
for daily, use an easy to apply ceramic like adams graphene ceramic spray. top it with turtle wax flex wax spray and enjoy. the ceramic will easily last you two years if you decide not to polish and the flex wax will act as an extra layer of protection. reapply the flex wax once a month. look up how to apply both and you'll see how quick it applies and how awesome the results are.
      06-06-2023, 10:33 PM   #13
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
ditch the wax. i'm amazed how many folks still use waxes/sealants on daily drivers. there are much better products to withstand the elements. i only use wax on my classic and that's becuase i drive it on weekends only, no rain, and i'm after the ultimate show shine finish.
for daily, use an easy to apply ceramic like adams graphene ceramic spray. top it with turtle wax flex wax spray and enjoy. the ceramic will easily last you two years if you decide not to polish and the flex wax will act as an extra layer of protection. reapply the flex wax once a month. look up how to apply both and you'll see how quick it applies and how awesome the results are.
This
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 06:06 AM   #14
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
I don't like coatings so I use wax, ok?? Still amazed?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 06:36 AM   #15
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't like coatings so I use wax, ok?? Still amazed?
More importantly, what guitar are you playing? I'm in the market...Looking at a couple of Les Pauls.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 08:13 AM   #16
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
More importantly, what guitar are you playing? I'm in the market...Looking at a couple of Les Pauls.
I'm 99 44/100% acoustic now. Nothing sounds like a Les Paul, but most newer ones are boat anchors.
      06-07-2023, 08:31 AM   #17
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Poorboys World with carnauba wax blue for darker shades is the one for me, can be used in sun or shade and perfect for long term car keeps.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 09:06 AM   #18
JimmyJazz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2009 PontiaG8GT,

Quote:
I don’t play guitar but I’d get one of the Kirk Hammett/Peter Green “Greeny” reps if I did! Love Peter Green! 😁😉
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 09:20 AM   #19
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

To really know what's up with the wax you'd have to do some reasonably scientific testing. Even if it was still present the surface of it could change enough to make it seem to be gone.

I'm a Zaino guy. I'm sure it's not the best anymore but it's still pretty good. I was every spring and fall and then another time or two in between. Apply a coat, maybe 2 if I have time. 135i doesn't have a lot of sheet metal and isn't tall so it's a pretty simple job and doesn't take me very long.

Still shines like new. When it rains, the car sometimes actually gets cleaner than it started. I've seen streaks from where bird poop basically runs off like water instead of leaving a pile in place.

Car is garaged overnight and is parked outside during the day only a few days a week. Sees just a couple thousand miles a year. I'm sure that's part of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 10:32 AM   #20
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

I start each new car with a ‘process’ and then, just keep the maintenance up over the year.

Wash, clay, wash, dry. Using a porter cable with orange pad, I use a Wolfgang pre-wax/polish liquid to remove all remaining surface contamination. Then, use an orange pad with swirl remover to remove the dealer/port installed swirls (also a Wolfgang product). Once I’m content, then, I use a white pad to apply/remove a Wolfgang glaze, which brings back the luster. Then, I apply the Wolfgang sealant using a blue pad and let it cure for 12-16 hours in the garage (usually overnight). Next day, remove the sealant, and then apply Collinite 845 wax, remove it using a microfiber bonnet over a yellow pad. And finally, enjoy the shine.

Beyond that, I’ll wash the car every couple of weeks, and just use a detailing spray during wipe down. Every 3rd or 4th wash, apply a new coat of the 845 wax.

The current car lives in the garage unless I’m running errands, or traveling. I’ll take a rinseless wash if it’s long distance to make it easier to remove dead bugs/dirt/etc.

I don’t let other people touch my car, so, I spend the time/effort to do it right, and somehow, that makes me happy for all the effort I put in.
Appreciate 3
      06-07-2023, 10:40 AM   #21
dailym340i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i X-Drive Exc Pkg

Garage List
I guess I stopped after marriage. Perhaps I’ve lost sight of myself.

Turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray wax seems to last approx. 10-12 washes, however the car is already 1 year into a 3 year coating.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 10:45 AM   #22
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

^^It’ll all come full circle after being married and having kids. Then, you’ll want to do more!
Appreciate 0