2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Some advice, new to me 535i

07-07-2022, 08:17 PM   #23
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_F10 View Post
So here's my question for you all.

If I go VRSF Intercooler and Catless Downpipe but keep my stock exhaust, any idea how it will sound?

I really don't want this thing to be obnoxious. I want a good deep growl. If I do the DP and IC, I could go stage 2. however, I don't want some obnoxious racer.

Anyone done this and have a video? Hard to find info on YT.
With the high flow downpipe and stock mufflers I barely noticed any difference in sound. Really only noticed the cold starts.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 08:21 PM   #24
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcarbonari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
I finally got my dream car
OK, I'll bite. The curiosity is killing me. lol

What did you get? (@ Dream Car)

OP: Beautiful Color Combo on your 535 too!!! I was smiling when I saw your pic. Congrats on getting the color scheme you wanted ( I know the feeling)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
I've got a 2015 535i and have had the stage 2 BM3 tune, xHP transmission tune, and high flow downpipe and M performance mufflers for a while and it's the perfect combo to me. Both performance and sound wise that is.

I am returning my car to stock because I finally got my dream car and will be listing my mods for sale soon. PM me if you're interested in anything.
I may be, but first you have to share with the community your dream car! I'm in Naples soon for work. I'll PM you but I would like your M Performance mufflers.

Lol. The dream car I'm referring to is my new-to-me 2016 Alpina B6. It's been my dream car since seeing one years ago, sometime around 2014 or so.

And I just removed the M performance mufflers this evening. There's a few other people potentially interested too, so I'll PM you as well as the others to see who all would be interested. I'd prefer not to ship as it would be an extra step and cost.

Not trying to hijack the thread here.

Beautiful car by the way OP!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 08:51 AM   #25
PNW_F10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

NP, go for it local, I'm not traveling next week so I'll be in the PNW. Thanks for the advice, I'm doing my MHD tune today!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 08:17 PM   #26
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Let's make sure we get some pics of this Alpina!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 07:59 AM   #27
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Let's make sure we get some pics of this Alpina!
Haha. Here's a link to the thread I stared about it. I'll be posting updated photos sometime soon hopefully. Still have to do a thorough detailing.

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1930317

And those mufflers are still for sale. Plan on posting them in the classifieds soon along with other parts as they come off the 535.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 05:20 PM   #28
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

If I go VRSF Intercooler and Catless Downpipe but keep my stock exhaust, any idea how it will sound?

I really don't want this thing to be obnoxious. I want a good deep growl. If I do the DP and IC, I could go stage 2. however, I don't want some obnoxious racer.

Intercooler shouldn't change your exhaust note, at least not to my knowledge.

Catless downpipe will make your cold starts loud, but BM3 allows you to disable the startup roar if you don't like it or need it.

Here's a video of an F30 335i which has the same engine as our cars and with a catless DP and stock muffler:

It probably won't be a 1:1 replication for our specific cars but should give you a general idea. Remember videos don't do exhaust notes any justice. In person and on video are two entirely separate things.

See if you can source M Performance mufflers, they'll give you that deep growl that you're after.
Appreciate 1
Blue Angel1026.00
      07-10-2022, 07:20 PM   #29
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Wow, thanks for sharing that video, I don't mind that sound. Yeah, stupid question intercooler obviously won't effect exhaust, I was more asking about the DP.

I think I'm going to do it, I put my MHD stage 1 tune on tomorrow, let that bake in for a week or so then Intercooler/high flow downpipe, stage 2 and I'm done. Hopefully. :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 07:49 PM   #30
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Stage 1 complete, very smooth with MHD. A little nerve racking the first time, I didn't want to brick my car lol. No error messages did stage 1 and turned on cold start growl (it was too hot here to hear it) and burbles.

Definitely snappier. I feel like the burbles are lame, get lost in the stock catted DP and mufflers.

Again, I don't want this thing obnoxious but wasn't feeling the sound yet.

I'm going to go intercooler, high flow downpipe and Msport. Then I can easily do stage 2 and be done.
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2022, 02:18 PM   #31
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Stage 1 complete, very smooth with MHD. A little nerve racking the first time, I didn't want to brick my car lol. No error messages did stage 1 and turned on cold start growl (it was too hot here to hear it) and burbles.

Definitely snappier. I feel like the burbles are lame, get lost in the stock catted DP and mufflers.

Again, I don't want this thing obnoxious but wasn't feeling the sound yet.

I'm going to go intercooler, high flow downpipe and Msport. Then I can easily do stage 2 and be done.
The first flash is always the scariest, but the platforms (MHD/BM3) are fairly reliable and shouldn't brick the car so long as you follow all the instructions very carefully. Subsequent flashes take less than a minute so feel free to experiment with the various options! Would you agree with what I had mentioned previously about Stage 1 waking up the car? Doubt you'd ever flash the car back to stock again lol.

As for the sound, downpipe and muffler will make the biggest difference and I'm almost certain you'll be pleased with it. Just remember not to go overboard with the burbles if you plan on going with a high flow catted pipe.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 02:24 PM   #32
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

You sir, were 100% spot on! It's just enough speed that really wakes up the responsiveness, i Could never go back lol!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 06:24 AM   #33
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:

MHD all the way for me. I got to play with the BM3 setup finally and I hated it lol. Felt like I was starting windows 3.1 from DOS back in the day.

For Intercooler go GPlus in Amazon. The VRSF is a knock off of the $990 Wagner but for $450-500 ish was it? The GPlus is also a knock off by for $250. All 3 are identical.

No, the stock mufflers do a tremendous job at keeping things quiet. While I had my catless DP and stock exhaust the only time I could tell something was different was during cold start. 10-15 seconds later it was back to original silence. It DID roar during WOT.
      07-22-2022, 08:51 PM   #34
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

That's awesome, thanks for the find. Reading the reviews on the GPlus, seems like a tight fit but essentially the same. I have a good indy shop, sure they can squeeze it in there.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that the stock mufflers just keep things too quiet.

I don't want it annoying, but I'm going to go with that intercooler/catless/Mperformance exhaust and hope I don't piss off my wife lol! Will let you know!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 09:21 PM   #35
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Update:

Ordered the Gplus Intercooler.
Ordered Mperformance Exhaust in stock locally should have this week.

Here's my question, with all the PM work I've done (aftermarket CP, Intercooler, Plugs/Coils/tranny/diff fluid change, valve gasket/water pump etc. etc.)

Can I go stage 2 if I like the sound and not do the catless downpipe? I'm still worried the catless DP is going to be too loud.

I'm MHD stage 1 now.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #36
Heat/Dolphins78
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

I have an f10 535i M Sport tune with Bootmod3 on Stage 2+ running on a 30% mixture of ethanol with
Vrsf downpipe/charge pipe
Vrsf racing intercooler
Dorch stage 1 high pressure fuel pump
MST air intake
H&H springs

With BM3 all you need is the upgrade intercooler and downpipe for stage 2

As far as the noise , it's not loud at all! I had tried a Remus exhaust and paid over $1000 but it was way too loud and replace it back with the stock M Sport muffler.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 07:45 PM   #37
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Hey guys,

Appreciate everyone's help on here it's been huge for me to have you guys help out. I have the intercooler in my garage, still need to buy the catless DP. I haven't messed with any other tunes yet until i get the IC in, really happy with the MHD man what a difference.

Of course, now I want more. Do you guys know if i can go 93 octane on 92 gas? In my area, 93 octane is impossible to find, I always get 92 at Costco.

Appreciate any advice you have.

I'm going to put in the IC and DP soon, then I'm just on the hunt for exhaust. The MPerformance I thought I had ordered was cancelled by the dealership, I'm at a loss for exhaust i really want this thing with some grunt, but not annoying loud. HELP!

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 11:04 PM   #38
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Of course, now I want more. Do you guys know if i can go 93 octane on 92 gas? In my area, 93 octane is impossible to find, I always get 92 at Costco.

Appreciate any advice you have.

I'm going to put in the IC and DP soon, then I'm just on the hunt for exhaust. The MPerformance I thought I had ordered was cancelled by the dealership, I'm at a loss for exhaust i really want this thing with some grunt, but not annoying loud. HELP!
It's advisable to run with the lower octane tune. So if you only have 92 available nearby, run the 91 octane tune.

As for the exhaust, the M-Performance one has been on backorder for a while now. I had to wait around four months for mine and that was two years ago. I've no experience with others so unfortunately can't be of any help.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #39
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Hey guys,

Looks like my VRSF catless DP is finally coming next week. I am also having my shop put in the aftermarket intercooler.

So I've done all the gasket/oil pan leaks, new coil pack and plugs, tranny fluid change, charge pipe (aftermarket).

Once I get the IC and DP installed next week I'm going MHD Stage 2. Understanding any time you add a tune there's risk, any feedback on the amount of risk I'm assuming lol. It won't be tracked or dogged hard, just want to have a little more power over stage 1, but also don't want to blow my tranny or anything.

75k miles, I've been on stage 1 for a month at least, zero issues. Had the car for a year and it's been bullet proof.

Any additional thoughts/opinions/guidance is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 08:47 PM   #40
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Well, I did it. Intercooler and VRSF catless DP installed today. Immediately flashed to stage 2+ MHD, took 40 seconds.

All I can say is WOW!!!! The sound of the turbos is legit, and my burbles/exhaust on stock exhaust are good enough for now. This thing scoots, no issues or warning lights.

With that, the GPlus intercooler is definitely a TIGHT FIT.

Took them a long time to install, look at the difference between the stock....
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      10-12-2022, 08:49 PM   #41
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, I did it. Intercooler and VRSF catless DP installed today. Immediately flashed to stage 2+ MHD, took 40 seconds.

All I can say is WOW!!!! The sound of the turbos is legit, and my burbles/exhaust on stock exhaust are good enough for now. This thing scoots, no issues or warning lights.

Would you be able to record some videos? I'd like to hear what it sounds like on our cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 08:57 PM   #42
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
Would you be able to record some videos? I'd like to hear what it sounds like on our cars.
Yeah for sure, I'll send some videos this weekend. I credit this forum, and my awesome mechanic, for getting me here in 12 months from buying this. Been a fun process and learned a lot from you guys.

I did notice that in the videos the burble "snap" is way louder then it really sounds. I looked at my home security videos when I pulled in the driveway and hit the gas in park it sounded all raspy, but honestly in real life it's not that bad. Let me do some vids and I'll also include some commentary on how I feel like it sounds. Again, I'm very sensitive to not letting this car sound like a boy racer.
Appreciate 2
      10-22-2022, 02:20 PM   #43
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:

bahaha, yesss!! Welcome to the fun zone good sir! Glad you're happy with it
      10-22-2022, 07:55 PM   #44
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
bahaha, yesss!! Welcome to the fun zone good sir! Glad you're happy with it
lol, thanks! It is a bit nerve racking as you work through the process, but thankfully through this forum and my excellent indy shop I feel good. It's running really strong and no issues whatsoever.

End of the day, I paid $23.9k for this car last year with 67k miles. Add in 5k warranty, taxes fees etc, all of the preventative maintenance I did plus the fun stuff the last few months I'm all in about $35k on this car and should be fun/bullet proof for a solid 2 years. My plan is to sell it around 95k miles and find a M5.

I used to be a hardcore M3 owner/fan but when you go 5 series its hard to go back, even the G80 which is ugly but bad ass, it's too small. Love the combination of luxury/sport with the 5.
Appreciate 2