2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Some advice, new to me 535i

10-22-2022, 10:21 PM   #45
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

I thought the 5 would be too big too, until I drove one.
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2022, 10:07 AM   #46
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Thank you OP for posting this thread and all of your updates!
I am thoroughly enjoying it as my thought process & objectives are very similar to yours.
I'm just a bit slower w/schedule but have recently completed my PM checklist.

and thank you to all the other members who have posted feedback. Very helpful.
Especially that tip about the GPlus Intercooler!!!

I hope to see some videos and hear the sound when your "done done"....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #47
PNW_F10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

No problem, my experience is based on living in the PNW and the "usable" power which I'm really happy with.

Now that I'm past the whole nervous stage of OMG I don't want to grenade my motor, personally I think doing these upgrades really puts this car in a category it should be. It will not throw you back in your seat 0-60, its a big car and the sound deadening they do etc the experience 0-60 full throttle won't blow you away. It's fast, but not how this car is meant to be, I like it because 0-60 was important for me in my 20's.

What is amazing is the gentle push of the throttle going 40. Seriously, 90 comes very fast, your speedometer moves faster than the tach, it's a rush of torque. I like that as I don't feel like I have to wind this thing out at max rpm to have fun the peak power is mid range.

I had an E46 M3 and that thing felt and sounded like it was way faster than it really was. (Great car not knocking it, but I prefer a 5 now but you had to wring it out to really feel the power) They way I built out this 5 is like a slow rush a just beast power when you want it without flooring it. I had an annoying kid in a STI revving at me on 405 the other day and i just decided to ride on him, zero chance i was gone.

Pilot Sport 4s all the way, even with our rain I can still get on this thing and they grip.

Go for it!

Last edited by PNW_F10; 10-27-2022 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2023, 09:07 PM   #48
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Howdy gents,

Well I'm about 6 months in with a full PM (read full post) 80k miles, just got an oil change done and a full checkup from my awesome mechanic. He said keep running it you did it right everything looks good.

This thing screams with MHD stage 2+, it's so much fun when you want it, and a great cruiser/daily when you just don't care. I've had zero issues. The Michelon PS4 tires are legit, they flat out grip all this torque, over 500.

So.............now it's approaching summer in the PNW, I roll the windows down and the sound of the turbo's since I did the intercooler and catless DP is just awesome. I still have stock mufflers, I get burbles and pops, but the stock exhaust muffles so much.

Again, I don't want this to be obnoxious, but I'm itching for a mod. I'm worried because I'm catless its going to sound like crap, anyone have any experience in this? I really want an exhaust to finish this thing off, the MPerformance is so hard to find.

Any advice? Or should I leave alone?

Thanks!
Appreciate 2
      04-27-2023, 11:30 PM   #49
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I personally had the M Performance exhaust on my 535 and had a high flow downpipe installed. It sounded good, but had a bit of drone, so I opted to go back to stock for now. From my understanding a completely catless downpipe will cause more drone.

I personally want to eventually find a way to make the m5 fit and find a way to control the exhaust valves through my bm3 tune. I feel that will allow enough control so it can be heard when I want it to be, and a little more stock-like when I don’t.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 12:30 AM   #50
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
This is one of my favorite threads on this forum (as my goals are nearly identical to what the OP has been doing).
Thank You for the update & it's inspiring to read the feedback!

As a fellow PNW'er I hope you were able to get out and enjoy the ride today!
The sunshine is coming....finally...lol
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 09:57 AM   #51
Double Nickel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Garage List
2015 BMW F10  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_F10 View Post
Howdy gents,

Well I'm about 6 months in with a full PM (read full post) 80k miles, just got an oil change done and a full checkup from my awesome mechanic. He said keep running it you did it right everything looks good.

This thing screams with MHD stage 2+, it's so much fun when you want it, and a great cruiser/daily when you just don't care. I've had zero issues. The Michelon PS4 tires are legit, they flat out grip all this torque, over 500.

So.............now it's approaching summer in the PNW, I roll the windows down and the sound of the turbo's since I did the intercooler and catless DP is just awesome. I still have stock mufflers, I get burbles and pops, but the stock exhaust muffles so much.

Again, I don't want this to be obnoxious, but I'm itching for a mod. I'm worried because I'm catless its going to sound like crap, anyone have any experience in this? I really want an exhaust to finish this thing off, the MPerformance is so hard to find.

Any advice? Or should I leave alone?

Thanks!
I went wit Valvetronic mufflers and Magnaflow "X" myself
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 06:17 PM   #52
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Thanks all, great feedback. Yeah, I'm not going to take a chance on exhaust unless I can adjust the valves, I just think it will be too loud.

I think I'll just stay with stock mufflers I guess.

I did enjoy the last few days of weather, almost 200 days since 70 degrees, loved it. I spent all afternoon yesterday wash/clay/wax/full detail came out great.

I'll try to take some videos this week so share where I'm at, which is probably "it" for a while, not much else to do but just drive it. Which is fun. :-)

I'm casually shopping for an M6. There was a white convertible 2018 at Elliot Bay a few months ago, $55k low miles. That's a lot of car for that $.

I think I'll just stop spending on mine and casually shop for something new someday, it's fun window shop! I love finding BMWs on their depreciation curve.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 07:05 PM   #53
Double Nickel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F10  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_F10 View Post
Thanks all, great feedback. Yeah, I'm not going to take a chance on exhaust unless I can adjust the valves, I just think it will be too loud.

I think I'll just stay with stock mufflers I guess.

I did enjoy the last few days of weather, almost 200 days since 70 degrees, loved it. I spent all afternoon yesterday wash/clay/wax/full detail came out great.

I'll try to take some videos this week so share where I'm at, which is probably "it" for a while, not much else to do but just drive it. Which is fun. :-)

I'm casually shopping for an M6. There was a white convertible 2018 at Elliot Bay a few months ago, $55k low miles. That's a lot of car for that $.

I think I'll just stop spending on mine and casually shop for something new someday, it's fun window shop! I love finding BMWs on their depreciation curve.
Best thing about a Valvetronic system you can put it under that M6 when you get it, push of a button universal mufflers. Or you can do your own valve turndowns. Checkout Grant Johnson johnsonmotorsports on yt.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 12:13 PM   #54
Rickypalmtrees
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i XDrive M Sport

Def go muffler delete sounds amazing!! I am too not a young lad but still like that little bit of rumble when you get on it. I am going catted DP so its not crazy loud and no smell of gas. I also went to quad tips because i changed the rear diffuser to accommodate it. Flash tune is next from my performance shop because I heard its much better than a piggyback and smoother. IC and just drop in AFE air filter is what I have cause I dont believe in CAI , The stock box is much better in keeping out heat. But cant wait for these mods and new here so will be posting vids and pics soon!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 04:19 PM   #55
Double Nickel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F10  [10.00]
Idk much about BM3 but i control my exhaust valves wit a fob like remote, yes im VRSF catless and Magna flow "X"
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-20-2023, 08:28 AM   #56
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypalmtrees View Post
IC and just drop in AFE air filter is what I have cause I dont believe in CAI , The stock box is much better in keeping out heat.
+1 to ^this^. (and filtration too!)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 08:17 AM   #57
PNW_F10
Private
Rep

Hello friends!

Well, typical car enthusiast, after a shade under 2 years with my F10, I picked up a 2020 X3M with 17k miles on it. I really wanted to play with the S58 motor, and I also wanted something that sits up higher. I know most people don't care for these, but i do like the utility and the rear seat room. (Before purchasing I drove a manual G80 M3, what a HOOT but back seats are completely unusable).

So, I need to figure out what to do with my F10, anyone who followed this chain knows I did everything by the book with receipts to prove it from a legit BMW indy shop. I may put the OEM catted DP back on, remove the tune and it's pretty much stock. Would sell the catless DP and MHD tuner.

Unlikely, but if anyone on here wants to buy the car as is, DM me. I'll be very fair with the price. Everything is done to this car, I can scan you all the receipts.

One day review of the X3m: it's pretty rad. My F10 with 2+ has zero turbo lag, huge rush of torque when you get on it. The s58 actually has a fair amount of lag, but when you get in that sweet spot its glorious to 7300 rpm, sounds amazing too.

Thanks for all the help! I may just store my F10 so not losing sleep selling it, but wanted to offer to the enthusiasts here I'll let it go as is - 440HP 500++ TQ pretty cheap.

Thank you!
Appreciate 2