2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media BMW F10 2015 535i Aftermarket Headlights to look like G30k like F

05-04-2022, 12:06 PM   #1
fonfon22
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i F10

BMW F10 2015 535i Aftermarket Headlights to look like G30k like F

Hello everyone,

I need help. I own a BMW 5 series 535i from 2015
I recently purchased new Aftermarket Headlights, to look like the 2021 BMW 5 series.
Mechanic installed the headlights, the low beam, high beam, turn signal are fine, just that the daytime running halo lights stay on about 3 hours after the engine is off!! no matter what. And only one halo ring per headlight comes on.(see pictures)
Tons of headlights error messages on the dashboard, including adaptive headlight error...

Anybody experienced this??

What would you recommend a mechanic to do during my next visit?
Thank you very much!!
Attached Images

Last edited by fonfon22; 05-11-2022 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:53 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I'm 99% sure that no aftermarket lights are adaptive-capable.
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2022, 03:04 PM   #3
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Buys aftermarket crap and expects it to work lol
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2022, 03:11 PM   #4
fonfon22
Rep

When you turn on the headlights I do see them adjust by moving a little bit.
I don't know if that can be a sign of adaptiveness.
I saw somewhere from a different dealer that you MUST install the RIGHT headlight first and have the car "Learn" the new headlights. With some instructions for the "learning process". But I know that the mechanic installed the left headlight first and at that time I didnt see the instructions. So was too late. Now we have to take the headlights down again if we want to try that. which will cost money again.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 08:30 PM   #5
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I'm 99% sure that no aftermarket lights are adaptive-capable.
I believe you are correct
      05-10-2022, 07:14 AM   #6
Flying_Squad
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 520D M Sport

I've queried these very lights with the seller on AliExpress. I asked whether they're compatible for cars with adaptive lights and high beam assist. The seller was 100% sure they're compatible, although he could just be clueless, I fear it's the latter.

If I were you, if you can't get them to work, I'd request a full refund, if all else fails and you've paid by credit card, take it up with them and initiate a chargeback.

Damn shame, as I personally think the headlight design looks good aesthetically and was hoping these would have worked.

Keep us posted either way and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 04:49 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Squad View Post
I've queried these very lights with the seller on AliExpress. I asked whether they're compatible for cars with adaptive lights and high beam assist. The seller was 100% sure they're compatible, although he could just be clueless, I fear it's the latter.

If I were you, if you can't get them to work, I'd request a full refund, if all else fails and you've paid by credit card, take it up with them and initiate a chargeback.

Damn shame, as I personally think the headlight design looks good aesthetically and was hoping these would have worked.

Being "compatible" doesn't necessarily mean the adaptive function works.
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2022, 05:17 AM   #8
Flying_Squad
Private
Rep

The very meaning of (and most English speakers interpretation and meaning of) the word "compatible" is to

'(with something) (of machines, especially computers, or software) able to be used together...and able to exist or be used together without causing problems'.

Not sure how "compatible" with adaptive function, can be construed to mean anything else.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 08:18 PM   #9
fonfon22
Rep

Quote:

Bought these from AliExpress too..took more than 2 months to arrive.I have initiated a partial refund though. They offered money back after return ,or $220 partial refund. Seen I have paid almost $500 to install them, and would cost the same amount to take them down, not worth it. I’m starting to like the look of it with just one halo ring working per headlight. The xenon are working, meaning no problem with low be high beam and turn signals. So my mechanic promised to do a little investigation/study to come up with a fix. I’m giving him enough time for his search. So that my next $500 labor charge won’t be vain.
The AliExpress seller promised to be just « plug and play »even no coding required. I have found online somewhere that I should try to use the OEM modules and maybe also the bulbs to this new headlights. I will suggest that to the mechanic.
They otherwise look amazing. Really amazing.
I will post some more pictures.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2022, 08:52 PM   #10
fonfon22
Rep

Quote:

I just uploaded some more pictures to my original post.
I want to believe they are adaptive. Each time you turn the headlights on , you see they are searching and repositioning . Very tiny motion of the bulbs.
Will find out more .
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 11:33 PM   #11
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The very meaning of (and most English speakers interpretation and meaning of) the word "compatible" is to

'(with something) (of machines, especially computers, or software) able to be used together...and able to exist or be used together without causing problems'.

Not sure how "compatible" with adaptive function, can be construed to mean anything else.
The headlights are "compatible" with the car, i.e. they fit and will illuminate when plugged-in. Remember, we're dealing with Chinese interpretation of English.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 06:32 AM   #12
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Good luck with getting them to function properly. Personally I am not a big fan of trying to get older cars to look like modern variants. I much rather my mods represent the best look from that period. Maybe it's just me.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 07:28 AM   #13
Flying_Squad
Private
Rep

I just think it's unacceptable for these sellers on AliExpress to falsely advertise and sell items which aren't fit for purpose. Granted they're cheaper than the OEM equivalent, but still not 'cheap' by any means, especially when they don't work as descried.

If they're trading to an international market, they should be able to use the English language appropriately to market and sell their products in an honest way. They shouldn't be allowed to hide behind the language barrier and their 'interpretation of English'.

Rant over!

To the OP, keep us posted how you get on with these, I'd be interested if you get them to work as intended, as I said I personally think they look good aesthetically.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 08:25 AM   #14
fonfon22
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
Good luck with getting them to function properly. Personally I am not a big fan of trying to get older cars to look like modern variants. I much rather my mods represent the best look from that period. Maybe it's just me.
Just matter of taste. I fell for these headlights. My car is new from 2015. So I thought to give it a little cosmetic touch.
Headlights cost $1500 today. I wish they came up with better instructions.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 08:28 AM   #15
fonfon22
Rep

Quote:
I just think it's unacceptable for these sellers on AliExpress to falsely advertise and sell items which aren't fit for purpose. Granted they're cheaper than the OEM equivalent, but still not 'cheap' by any means, especially when they don't work as descried.

If they're trading to an international market, they should be able to use the English language appropriately to market and sell their products in an honest way. They shouldn't be allowed to hide behind the language barrier and their 'interpretation of English'.

Rant over!

To the OP, keep us posted how you get on with these, I'd be interested if you get them to work as intended, as I said I personally think they look good aesthetically.

I sure will. Hesitating between going back to the original mechanic, or keep searching for the right guy. Each time you uninstall and reinstall the headlights, you loose $400 to $500 . Better make sure you get the right guy.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 09:17 AM   #16
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

there is a bit of coding that needs to be done to get the headlights to work properly. i believe you need a mechanic that is more proficient in BMWs to get them to work properly.

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2023, 12:24 PM   #17
arysojit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i xDrive (M-Sport)

Hey guys, I ordered these same headlights and am going to get them installed by my local Euro mechanic next week.

Any advice/suggestions in regard to the coding?

I have thought of removing the Adaptive Headlights from the VO using ProTools.

Also, any updates about what happened to your headlights? fonfon22

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 10:14 AM   #18
r2dmax
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci; F10 535i M Sport

I've been looking at these as well as my adaptive lights both have sealing issues and are not operating properly. Mine is a 2013 and I'm not willing to spend $3k on a set of adaptive lights. The seller I found on eBay said that you will have to have the adaptive option decoded and that from there they are plug and play./ Also, you would supply your own modules. I do want all the DRLs to work properly too if I purchase. I may rethink my purchase as $1000 is still too much to not work correctly

I DO, however know they are NOT adaptive after confirming with the seller. Again, I wasn't going to stress that too much at this point on my car
      02-28-2023, 10:16 AM   #19
r2dmax
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonfon22 View Post
When you turn on the headlights I do see them adjust by moving a little bit.
I don't know if that can be a sign of adaptiveness.
I saw somewhere from a different dealer that you MUST install the RIGHT headlight first and have the car "Learn" the new headlights. With some instructions for the "learning process". But I know that the mechanic installed the left headlight first and at that time I didnt see the instructions. So was too late. Now we have to take the headlights down again if we want to try that. which will cost money again.
Can you post a pic of the directions? I'm curious to see what is required per the company
      02-28-2023, 11:09 AM   #20
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

After having adaptive for 8 years now (two F10's and my current G30), I could never go back; ESPECIALLY on mountainous roada.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 04:32 AM   #21
Flying_Squad
Private
Rep

Totally agree, losing an amazing feature like adaptive lights, high beam assist etc, for what is a cosmetic upgrade, just doesn't make sense.

It is a shame though, as I feel these aftermarket headlights do make the F10/F11 look more modern. As classic as they are, the traditional round angel eyes for me are looking too dated nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 09:42 PM   #22
r2dmax
Private
United_States
Rep

I'd agree as well except in my case BOTH my adaptive light have seal issues and have affected the Control modules too. Since I need to replace them anyway, and to have them fixed/updated is about $2k+ I may got with the updated style LED light. Mine haven't been "adaptive" for a while as I have been researching options