2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 520d 2011 Propshaft Coupling Confusion

05-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #1
Matgsand
Rep
Drives: BMW F1O 520d N47

F10 520d 2011 Propshaft Coupling Confusion

Hi there

I am in the process of replacing my diff bushes, carrying out a diff service, as well as replacing the rear propshaft coupling, as the bushes and the coupling are torn - might as well do a diff service same time.

There are 2 propshaft couplings- the front one (at the gearbox) and the rear one (at the diff).
The coupling in the front is the metal type, the coupling at the rear is the fully rubber type.

I will be replacing the rear one.

(2011 F10 520d)

The problem I am having:

My local parts store has supplied me with the metal style coupling (FEBI) - to replace the fully rubber one at the rear.
I have searched realoem - and it is giving the same part numbers for front + rear couplings - but now the front is metal the rear is rubber? How are they 2 different parts but share the same part number?

If you look on the parts store site it lists it with a picture as the fully rubber one but when you receive it it's the metal one supplied, yet the part numbers are correct?

I would just like some feedback to if you guys think its fine that I replace the rear stock rubber coupling with the now metal coupling supplied?

I'm getting a bit anxious about it, as to my knowledge the diff needs to the flex quite a bit when it's under load, will this metal one not restrict the diffs movement and cause possible issues because of this?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 03:15 PM   #2
zener
BMW enthusiast since 2004
Rep
Drives: E65 730d, F10 520d, E34 520i

Fully rubber one is correct. Bmw even replaced the front aluminum one to fully rubber version later.
Appreciate 0