2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Car pulls slightly to the right

12-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: gaggle of BMW's

Car pulls slightly to the right

Hey guys I've been battling an issue with my 2011 550i X since I've purchased it. My car requires slight pressure holding the steering to the left at all times with or without throttle. If you point the wheel more left it will snap back to center or slight right of that. If you point the wheel right it doesnt really snap to center it just stays there. Also if you steer towards a turn lane and let go of the wheel it will pull back right eventually to the curb. If there is any sort of groove in the road the car really tends to follow it and again only to the right.

The dealer has had the car three times for this and alignment was said to be in spec the first two times however they said one of the lower control arm (torque arm bushings) seemed to be torn and leaking fluid but wouldn't effect what I'm seeing.

The third time I took it back after having the car a month and a half I was told it was fixed. I could immediately tell it wasn't and they decided to have a tech ride with me who noticed what I was talking about. After looking at the alignment specs they realized they needed some adjustable camber arms to fix it.

Well got it back the fourth time and guess what... still pulls.

I feel like at this point maybe I'm going crazy, but I have driven the same roads in my SUV and my older e46 and e92 and never experience this type of pull. I wanted to test drive another 550 to see how it behaves but the dealer did not have any in stock this last time around.

Does anyone have this issue or know if its just common thing with this car? I'm really at a loss with what to do next.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Hi, this issue is one of the most mystic ones because BMW has no statistics and no instructions about it:
- US and European cars can be pulling to the right,
- UK cars can be pulling to the left,
- some lucky cars drive dead straight, hence no complaint.

The issue for US market is described in the largest thread here: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...409049&page=31
Example how it mirrors with the UK cars/roads is here: http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=5&t=119932

Therefore the global name for it should be "F10 is pulling to the nearside" and my understanding is that F10 front suspension (together with it's alignment variables) is too sensitive to road camber and maybe some very minor adjustment deviations.

In different cases (see the US thread) with the older or the newer (restyle) cars of different age, mileage and many suspension specifics, the issue has been either totally eliminated, gone itself or stay regardless of the efforts applied. Neither general statistics, nor a single cure for it, so it is totally case to case issue.

The other members went different ways and level of effort was also very different. Silver bullet still doesn't exist, the results are also very different, I just don't want to use the word "random". Summarizing the thread, what did help: wheel alignment (KDS), suspension arms replacement (wishbones, tension struts etc.), software update, tire pressure alignment, and so on.

In my particular "pulling case" (2011 xDrive, no DHP, factory M Sport suspension, OEM stabs, staggered 20" wheels) I tested the steering at the right side of the road, then at the left side (to change road camber), and then at the huge and flat parking (mall) tonight. Pulling was like 1/2" to the right, well noticeable upon steering wheel's shifters. Then I took pictures and went to my dealer. They did the complete suspension check, replaced both arms and then did KDS alignment just once. Since that time (2 years ago) the steering is precise.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valery.BMW View Post
Hi, this issue is one of the most mystic ones because BMW has no statistics and no instructions about it:
- US and European cars can be pulling to the right,
- UK cars can be pulling to the left,
- some lucky cars drive dead straight, hence no complaint.

The issue for US market is described in the largest thread here: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...409049&page=31
Example how it mirrors with the UK cars/roads is here: http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=5&t=119932

Therefore the global name for it should be "F10 is pulling to the nearside" and my understanding is that F10 front suspension (together with it's alignment variables) is too sensitive to road camber and maybe some very minor adjustment deviations.

In different cases (see the US thread) with the older or the newer (restyle) cars of different age, mileage and many suspension specifics, the issue has been either totally eliminated, gone itself or stay regardless of the efforts applied. Neither general statistics, nor a single cure for it, so it is totally case to case issue.

The other members went different ways and level of effort was also very different. Silver bullet still doesn't exist, the results are also very different, I just don't want to use the word "random". Summarizing the thread, what did help: wheel alignment (KDS), suspension arms replacement (wishbones, tension struts etc.), software update, tire pressure alignment, and so on.

In my particular "pulling case" (2011 xDrive, no DHP, factory M Sport suspension, OEM stabs, staggered 20" wheels) I tested the steering at the right side of the road, then at the left side (to change road camber), and then at the huge and flat parking (mall) tonight. Pulling was like 1/2" to the right, well noticeable upon steering wheel's shifters. Then I took pictures and went to my dealer. They did the complete suspension check, replaced both arms and then did KDS alignment just once. Since that time (2 years ago) the steering is precise.
I appreciate the response! This helps out a lot. When they replaced the suspension arms were they the uppers or lowers? I'm still concerned about the bushing in the "torque arm" creating a lot of this pull especially in grooves (similar experience in my e46 until I replaced the CAB's).
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

In my particular case they replaced the control arms 32 10 6 784 716 and 32 10 6 784 719 (see pos. 4 below) because the ball joints were worn, and the threads were completely wrecked by rust, the nuts couldn't even be moved so the guys used plasma torch to cut them in pieces and remove.

Name:  b0027962.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  26.6 KB

And here I think you have right point: all these multiple ball joints and bushings are potentially responsible for the suspension and steering elements play. When your car is locked to the alignment stand, the joints are under pressure and don't have freedom to move or play. But once you hit the road, a couple of millimeters of any arm's play can make the whole car pulling to somewhere.

The alignment setting is so sharp that you know, when the 0°06' toe is perfect, the 0°14' is near to a middle of red zone and the 0°30' is a complete disaster:

Name:  IMG_0094-1.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  167.4 KB

This inhuman precision is amazing. Not even how they adjust it by steps like +/- 0°01' with a wrench and hummer, but mostly - how the hell the suspension carrying heavy wheels at each corner can keep such precise settings for the whole season or even two.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In my particular case they replaced the control arms 32 10 6 784 716 and 32 10 6 784 719 (see pos. 4 below) because the ball joints were worn, and the threads were completely wrecked by rust, the nuts couldn't even be moved so the guys used plasma torch to cut them in pieces and remove.

Attachment 1126549

And here I think you have right point: all these multiple ball joints and bushings are potentially responsible for the suspension and steering elements play. When your car is locked to the alignment stand, the joints are under pressure and don't have freedom to move or play. But once you hit the road, a couple of millimeters of any arm's play can make the whole car pulling to somewhere.

The alignment setting is so sharp that you know, when the 0°06' toe is perfect, the 0°14' is near to a middle of red zone and the 0°30' is a complete disaster:

Attachment 1126550

This inhuman precision is amazing. Not even how they adjust it by steps like +/- 0°01' with a wrench and hummer, but mostly - how the hell the suspension carrying heavy wheels at each corner can keep such precise settings for the whole season or even two.
I've reached out to my dealer for the specs, coincidentally enough my old spec paperwork hey took out of the car and cannot be found. I'll post them up to compare.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just a quick update, I called the dealer asking for the specs and ended up getting the sales manager. Due to this issue and a few others and putting almost 1000 miles on the car they don't feel like they can get it right and want to possibly buy it back or trade for something newer.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

This is fantastic response of a dealer, moreover the car is already 3-year old. However since you mentioned some other issues, the buyback or trade for newer gives you all you need.
In the case of choosing a new car, I would order Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) before any other toys. The brand new suspension and the latest software should have all the annoying issues gone.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is fantastic response of a dealer, moreover the car is already 3-year old. However since you mentioned some other issues, the buyback or trade for newer gives you all you need.
In the case of choosing a new car, I would order Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) before any other toys. The brand new suspension and the latest software should have all the annoying issues gone.

I think it's going to be hard for them to negotiate a brand new or close to brand new 550 for what I've payed for mine. I chose this car in particular due to the immense amount of options and color combo (black/cinnamon) (adaptive cruise, night vision, heated/cooled, surround view, rear seat ent, etc) so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Thank you again for your help.
Appreciate 0