2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535i xDrive 2012 weird puff noises cold start

12-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Mugiwara
Rep
Drives: 535i xDrive 2011 High Exec.

535i xDrive 2012 weird puff noises cold start

Dear members,

I have been fighting with the problem of my car "puffing" on cold starts for about a year now. After changing the injectors 2 times by my BMW Dealer, the problem went away for just a couple of months, just to come back.

Video of the problem:

Could anyone please tell me why my car is acting like this? My dealer says there's nothing wrong with the car, but I think the opposite, because it already shut down on its own once when I was driving (low speeds of 5-10km/h).

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Looks like condensation to me...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
BuiltnBoostedZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
This.
      12-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
geminiys
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013, 535XI & 2005 M3

Have you ever had Coolant Low message or had to add Coolant during the year of you fighting this issue? Have you ever had an excessive White Smoke out of a Exhaust? If you did, you have a coolant leak into exhaust chamber.
Other potential symptoms is what others have mentioned, condensation. Does it mostly happen at cold temperatures? Do you drive short miles and not getting engine to desired temperatures to burn all of the condensation?
2018, Q5, 100 miles
2005, XC70 AWD, 160k miles
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

To add to the above, I also hear a misfire.
I would try another dealership or independent.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
Mugiwara
Rep

Quote:
If so, how can it be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiys View Post
Have you ever had Coolant Low message or had to add Coolant during the year of you fighting this issue? Have you ever had an excessive White Smoke out of a Exhaust? If you did, you have a coolant leak into exhaust chamber.
Other potential symptoms is what others have mentioned, condensation. Does it mostly happen at cold temperatures? Do you drive short miles and not getting engine to desired temperatures to burn all of the condensation?
This happens only with a cold start, but also happens during the summers, again during a "cold"-start.

Never had a problem with the coolant as far as I know, also the white smoke you mentioned; not that I know. How can condensation cause the sound as if there are misfirings in the cylinders? Where is the condensation? In the exhaust? In the cylinders itself?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugiwara View Post
If so, how can it be fixed?

This happens only with a cold start, but also happens during the summers, again during a "cold"-start.

Never had a problem with the coolant as far as I know, also the white smoke you mentioned; not that I know. How can condensation cause the sound as if there are misfirings in the cylinders? Where is the condensation? In the exhaust? In the cylinders itself?
Humidity is also a factor. I don't know about the sound (I didn't hear it) but condensation (you can also see it behind high altitude aircraft) is caused by the hot exhaust interacting with the cooler/colder outside air. Condensation doesn't happen until the exhaust hits the atmosphere.

Does this help??

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
Mugiwara
Rep

Quote:
Humidity is also a factor. I don't know about the sound (I didn't hear it) but condensation (you can also see it behind high altitude aircraft) is caused by the hot exhaust interacting with the cooler/colder outside air. Condensation doesn't happen until the exhaust hits the atmosphere.

Does this help??

My problem is not the smoke. It was a cold day, so its normal. My problem is the puffing sound that's coming from it which to me, sounds like misfires. I could be wrong, but then again, why haven't I come across another car making the same weird puffing sound?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugiwara View Post
My problem is not the smoke. It was a cold day, so its normal. My problem is the puffing sound that's coming from it which to me, sounds like misfires. I could be wrong, but then again, why haven't I come across another car making the same weird puffing sound?
Mine acts somewhat like this on cold starts. The colder it is, the more it does this kind of thing. In some situations (usually when leaving the train commuter lot after it's been parked all day) it will actually interfere with power delivery and shifting when start/stop navigating the parking lot at lower speeds. I also get the transmission doing weird stuff with the torque convertor accentuating the problem, but I don't know if I have two problems or if it's all the misfires wreaking havoc with the software. No matter how cold it is, within a minute all this stuff stops.

I have an M Performance exhaust. Although generally only on the car in nicer weather (the last couple of years I've been taking off the PE when I put on my snow tires) it really accentuates any kind of irregular idle or misfire. With the PE even warmed up you can hear this kind of thing at idle but pretty slight.

All this doesn't mean I'm not suffering from misfires too. So far the dealer has ignored it since it's hard for them to duplicate the problem, unless they hang on to my car overnight. I've reported the issues in writing several times throughout the factory and factory-extended warranty periods.

I've also read several posts and articles from F10 forums saying 'all modern cars are jerky on cold start' and attributes to direct injection, Valvetronic technology etc... When you think about the technical complications of both, it's almost a miracle these engines start and idle at all in less than ideal conditions.
Appreciate 0