2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes ACS springs on luxury line

05-28-2017, 05:12 AM   #1
carlo_nyc
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

ACS springs on luxury line

i have a luxury line 550i with dynamic handling package

the car is quite tall, i am considering lowering it without losing ride comfort, so i read a good deal about ACS being the preferred springs

does anyone know how much lower will the luxury line be with ACS springs, please?

i wonder if the luxury line drop is different than M or base models

thank you everyone for the feedback
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

I don't think there is much difference in suspension, however i could be wrong.

I had approx 2.64 inches (the size of my iphone 6s) of wheel gap.

I'm now at 1/2 drop all around...(for the most part)

ride quality compared to the stock suspension is just A BIT STIFFER, however the big thing the springs did for me was to remove the floatiness of the stock suspension and remove the dive/squat on brake/acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
carlo_nyc
United_States
Rep

yes, i can fit my iPhone 6 in the gap, wow.

i would very much like to get rid of the floatiness feeling on the 550i, but i also wonder if the spring will lower the car in a noticeable way, 1/2 inch isn't all that much, i was hoping more for an inch or inch and 1/2

thank you for the reply xxpanipuri
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo_nyc View Post
yes, i can fit my iPhone 6 in the gap, wow.

i would very much like to get rid of the floatiness feeling on the 550i, but i also wonder if the spring will lower the car in a noticeable way, 1/2 inch isn't all that much, i was hoping more for an inch or inch and 1/2

thank you for the reply xxpanipuri

The ACS springs look too conservative for me, kinda like the springs "grandpa" would get. My Msport looked like a 4x4 and I couldn't stand it, so I installed H&R sport springs on it within 2 months of getting my f10. I wish they were a little lower but its wayyyy better than stock and definitely looks lower then some ASC spring drops I've seen. My car rides fine, not jarring, harsh or bouncy. It took me 2 months to find out which springs had the lowest drop reading threads and talking to the retailers or they would've been installed on day 1. I see you live in vegas, I'll even let you drive my car and see for yourself. Hit me up.

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 05-29-2017 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Heres a pic of my car with the H&R springs, I'm on 20x9 and 20x11 Forgestars f14's with 275/30's up front and 295/30's on the rear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Here's a better pic,
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5718.50
      05-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
carlo_nyc
United_States
Rep

awesome drop, your car is really cool

where did you get them done?

some places in town are $$$, others aren't

i just need to find a trusted shop to put their hands on my car and do a proper job

thank you Teddylongtooth
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
awesome drop, your car is really cool

where did you get them done?

some places in town are $$$, others aren't

i just need to find a trusted shop to put their hands on my car and do a proper job

thank you Teddylongtooth

Thank you!

I like working on my own cars and did the install myself. I don't trust shops, to them its just a job, but to me its my passion to do it myself and have that satisfaction. Its a super easy install and you only need basic tools and rent a spring compressor from an autopart store. I didn't mean to sound arrogant in my other posts but I think im sure you won't be quite as happy with any other springs since you mentioned you wanted lower than 1" in the front. The H&R springs lowred my car 1.5" in the front and 1.25" in the rear before they settled.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
Thank you!

I like working on my own cars and did the install myself. I don't trust shops, to them its just a job, but to me its my passion to do it myself and have that satisfaction. Its a super easy install and you only need basic tools and rent a spring compressor from an autopart store. I didn't mean to sound arrogant in my other posts but I think im sure you won't be quite as happy with any other springs since you mentioned you wanted lower than 1" in the front. The H&R springs lowred my car 1.5" in the front and 1.25" in the rear before they settled.
totally agree with you on that!

ACS springs out of all the springs out there for the F10 will be your most MILDEST drop. there was one member here who was quite disappointed after getting them installed as his before and after pictures pretty much looked identical!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 11:36 PM   #10
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

here's my before and after....

ACS Springs are a mild drop. If you want lower, as mentioned above go with h&r, all depends on personal preference, for me, i take clients out in this car, as well as family hauling.

So i didn't want to go too aggressive.

before

After

Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5718.50
      05-29-2017, 01:48 AM   #11
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
here's my before and after....

ACS Springs are a mild drop. If you want lower, as mentioned above go with h&r, all depends on personal preference, for me, i take clients out in this car, as well as family hauling.

So i didn't want to go too aggressive.

before

After

looking at your before and after it looks like it dropped more than 1/2". Seeing other Acs spring drops during my research 2-1/2 years ago they didn't look as low as yours does. Your car looks great with the Acs springs, I wonder if Acs changed them recently? I honestly can't tell the difference between yours and mine. I would still choose H&R as it seems Acs may have some inconsistencies with their drop.

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 05-29-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #12
carlo_nyc
United_States
Rep

i second that, your car dropped well with ACS!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i, 2009 328i

Quote:
i have a luxury line 550i with dynamic handling package

the car is quite tall, i am considering lowering it without losing ride comfort, so i read a good deal about ACS being the preferred springs

does anyone know how much lower will the luxury line be with ACS springs, please?

i wonder if the luxury line drop is different than M or base models

thank you everyone for the feedback
Used ACS Springs on my 2014 535i - my installer says it came down an inch. Not certain it came down that much.

My concern was more about the ride, which it improved greatly in terms of feeling planted and turning. That car before the mods scared me at speed because I could not get a handle on it, and it was hell to make a sporting turn. And I also drive a '09 328i Sport Suspension.

But the one change that put it together with the Koni FSD and Michelin A/S 3+ tires, was the 650 Rear Sway bar - improved roll without deteriorating the ride - improved it. Did not go for the front bar as I want to maintain the car as a handling cruiser. It's all a balance.

Good luck going low.

2009 328i 6 spd stick, Crimson Red/Sport Suspension, Bavsound Stage 1, 2

Former BMWs: '79 320i, '84 325e, 2000 328i, 2014 535i
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 01:10 AM   #14
carlo_nyc
United_States
Rep

hello DesmondF10, would you have pictures of your F10 please?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #15
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Here's a better pic,
wow, it looks great... the drop looks perfect. One question for you, how does the ride feel? I have heard such a mixed bag of things in terms of comfort with H&R springs. I have a 535i & would like to keep the comfort of OEM as close as possible.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #16
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorm93 View Post
wow, it looks great... the drop looks perfect. One question for you, how does the ride feel? I have heard such a mixed bag of things in terms of comfort with H&R springs. I have a 535i & would like to keep the comfort of OEM as close as possible.
Thank you, the ride is great in sport, sport + and in normal mode. It feels more solid with less body roll and no more floatyness. I did however lose a little in comfort mode but thats to be expected, I reduced the travel by 1.5" up front and 1.25" in the rear so with less travel and the lower ride height its not the same but it is still quite comfortable and smooth with a semi floatyness like before the drop. Their is a difference but in my opinion it didn't ruin comfort mode and when I have my parents or passengers who would rather have the BMW smooth ride I use comfort mode and never had a complaint, only compliments on how it looks low but rides great. The only thing I know is my car has every suspension and driving assistance option you can get, I have EDC, DHP, SAT, adaptive drive and parking assist and all these options tie into the suspension in some way or another. So my suspension may not be the same as yours, so far I haven't seen many cars in here that are lowered and have All the same options as mine. So to answer your question, I don't feel the springs compromised my ride in anyway in any driving mode.

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 06-05-2017 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Thank you, the ride is great in sport, sport + and in normal mode. It feels more solid with less body roll and no more floatyness. I did however lose a little in comfort mode but thats to be expected, I reduced the travel by 1.5" up front and 1.25" in the rear so with less travel and the lower ride height its not the same but it is still quite comfortable and smooth with a semi floatyness like before the drop. Their is a difference but in my opinion it didn't ruin comfort mode and when I have my parents or passengers who would rather have the BMW smooth ride I use comfort mode and never had a complaint, only compliments on how it looks low but rides great. The only thing I know is my car has every suspension and driving assistance option you can get, I have EDC, DHP, SAT, adaptive drive and parking assist and all these options tie into the suspension in some way or another. So my suspension may not be the same as yours, so far I haven't seen many cars in here that are lowered and have All the same options as mine. So to answer your question, I don't feel the springs compromised my ride in anyway in any driving mode.
Thanks for reply & detailed info sir, much appreciated. I know its not comparing apples to apples between the 550 & 535, but wanted to ask anyway. I typically always drive my car in sport mode so should not be much of a change. My other option was to go ACS, but the drop is a little too conservative for me.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #18
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorm93 View Post
Thanks for reply & detailed info sir, much appreciated. I know its not comparing apples to apples between the 550 & 535, but wanted to ask anyway. I typically always drive my car in sport mode so should not be much of a change. My other option was to go ACS, but the drop is a little too conservative for me.
Our cars are very similar and I only mentioned my options regarding suspension because they prevented me from getting coil overs. If my car didn't have all that crap, I would've installed adjustable coil overs so I could set the height where I wanted it. At the time coding out EDC wasn't possible and Im still not convinced it would work on my car. My sway bars are hydraulically controlled with input from the stock coil overs, so without that input I don't think they would function correctly. If I were to do it again I would find a less equipt car with basic suspension and lower it to my hearts desire.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #19
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
ACS springs were installed today on my 535xi with DHP. It would seem that my drop is over 1" all around. Specifically, the front drop is about 1.5", and the rear drop about 1.2" Now the wheel gap is almost the same for both front and back. Before, especially because it was an xDrive, the front gap was quite large and noticeable. We'll see what happens once the car settles down a bit.

Before pic
Name:  IMG_7706.JPG
Views: 1763
Size:  1.22 MB

After pic
Name:  IMG_7717.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  673.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #20
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #21
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

looks awesome!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #22
carlo_nyc
United_States
Rep

very nice. the drop is quite noticeable
Appreciate 0