2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Teach me about switching tires...

05-06-2019, 12:43 AM   #1
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i xDrive

Teach me about switching tires...

First and foremost, I have searched the forums and I am finding hundreds of posts but nothing that answers my questions. When I search about switching from run flat tires to traditional ties, I'm getting hundreds of responses but none of them are on topic. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find the answer, and yes, I did try to look.

I want to switch away from run flat tires back to traditional tires. What types of expenses are there to getting traditional tires? Do I have to change the wheels? Can I take the car to a regular tire shop or does a BMW dealership need to do the conversion?

If someone can give me answers or post the link to the thread that discusses the issue, I would appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:49 AM   #2
ReluctantRenegade
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F11 520d

You might find this helpful: https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-...un-flat-wheels
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
mgattmch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650iX GC

I have changed from RFT on my 550iX and 650iX and been very happy with the results, see my previous post on this subject. For the 550iX I now carry a compressor/sealant kit in the event of a flat. For the 650iX I carry a spare donut tire. A word of caution, for X drive cars it is very important, to avoid transmission damage, the donut tire matches the diameter of the regular tires.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 05:29 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

easy switch! so easy even a cave man can do it!

keep in mind the only downfall is your car does not have a spare
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #5
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgattmch View Post
I have changed from RFT on my 550iX and 650iX and been very happy with the results, see my previous post on this subject. For the 550iX I now carry a compressor/sealant kit in the event of a flat. For the 650iX I carry a spare donut tire. A word of caution, for X drive cars it is very important, to avoid transmission damage, the donut tire matches the diameter of the regular tires.
Where can I find your previous post?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

Easiest way is go to tirerack.com and select from the available tires to suit your needs then ship it direct to one of their installers.

My installer happened to be my local dealer that uses Hunter Roadforce balance machine (highly recommended to avoid shimmy beyond 80MPH)

Switched from OEM Goodyear Eagle runflats to Continental ExtremeContact Sport and the wife couldn't be happier with quieter and softer ride.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
OP - You dont need to do anything to the car or the wheel, just switch to non-RFT and you are all set. Just remember you have no spare (well, neither do we) and you will be stranded instantly, versus being able to drive a few miles to safety
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrechris View Post
First and foremost, I have searched the forums and I am finding hundreds of posts but nothing that answers my questions. When I search about switching from run flat tires to traditional ties, I'm getting hundreds of responses but none of them are on topic. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find the answer, and yes, I did try to look.

I want to switch away from run flat tires back to traditional tires. What types of expenses are there to getting traditional tires? Do I have to change the wheels? Can I take the car to a regular tire shop or does a BMW dealership need to do the conversion?

If someone can give me answers or post the link to the thread that discusses the issue, I would appreciate it.
If you have a square 18" set-up I would recommend Bridgestone Driveguards. It's a ROF with the comfort of a traditional, non-ROF tire. I have them on my wife's 2012 535i and couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
OP - You dont need to do anything to the car or the wheel, just switch to non-RFT and you are all set. Just remember you have no spare (well, neither do we) and you will be stranded instantly, versus being able to drive a few miles to safety
Trouble is between the Rockies and Commiefornia, safety is often a lot further than "a few miles". I can name two places out here where "Services" are over 100 miles apart. Getting a flat on the wrong part of I-40 could be ugly in the summer on a runflat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 04:16 PM   #10
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Trouble is between the Rockies and Commiefornia, safety is often a lot further than "a few miles". I can name two places out here where "Services" are over 100 miles apart. Getting a flat on the wrong part of I-40 could be ugly in the summer on a runflat.
At some point, we are all SOL without a spare
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Where can I find your previous post?
To find any forum members previous posts (even your own)...just click on your handle/name...you should get a pull down menu...one of the selections is FIND ALL POSTS (or something like that).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 10:41 PM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

when I went to IMPACT a couple of years ago I drove from OH to PA so knowing the "what if's" I threw one of my stock OEM wheels in the trunk just to be safe. it took a good 80% of my trunk space.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #13
Bozman52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:

It seems that people are getting a bit off-topic again and not directly answering your questions. You do not need to change wheels or tire pressure monitors, or anything. You can install RF tires or normal tires back and forth as you please (as long as all 4 tires are the same, obviously). There are no additional expenses, beyond the tires, in doing the conversion. Any normal tire shop can do this and you do not need to take your car to BMW at all for this. In fact, I would strongly urge you to NOT take it to BMW for new tires, as it will almost certainly be more expensive than a normal tire shop. If you go the non-RF route, I would recommend that you carry a can of tire sealant and a small compressor in the trunk, though. Ideally, you'd be able to call a tow truck, but in the worst case scenario, hopefully the can + compressor will save your ass.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman52 View Post
I would recommend that you carry a can of tire sealant and a small compressor in the trunk, though. Ideally, you'd be able to call a tow truck, but in the worst case scenario, hopefully the can + compressor will save your ass.
Concur. This is exactly what I do with my non run-flat setup. I had a flat that was the result of a slow leak from a bent rim (the flat showed up a couple of months after I had hit that damn pot hole), and the tire inflator got me back on the road and to the tire shop. If I had had to go further, I might have considered also using the slime.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #15
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
Concur. This is exactly what I do with my non run-flat setup. I had a flat that was the result of a slow leak from a bent rim (the flat showed up a couple of months after I had hit that damn pot hole), and the tire inflator got me back on the road and to the tire shop. If I had had to go further, I might have considered also using the slime.
Exactly this. ^^^

RunFlat "could" get you places in case of a flat (did for me once - initially while I still had run flats early on) but there's absolutely no assurance that it will help, all depends on type of puncture you have. So you're playing with fire either way, run flat or not.

In my opinion this is dumbest thing car manufacturers ever did, this "no spare tire" business. Run flats or not, any passenger vehicle should have a spare tire.
Not to mention extra cost of run flats, not as good handling (on average) and shorter thread life.

I carry Continental Kit in the trunk (and hope for the best on long trips).
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #16
srschang
Rep
Drives: 2008 528Xi

I recently replaced the run flat Goodyear LS2's on my 2016 535 xi with with Conti Purecontact LS non-run flats. They seem quieter, but I last drove on the LS2's in November before the winter tires went on. I'm a bit concerned about not having a spare, but I guess it works like this -

With run flats - Lose air pressure, pull off expressway in some podunk town, and try to find someplace to replace the run flat. Probably can't do it. Have vehicle flat-bedded 50-100 miles to a place that has the run flat in stock & can replace it.

Without run flats - Lose air pressure, pull off to the shoulder of the expressway. Use compressor and sealant kit to try & re inflate tire. If that works, start driving to the nearest location that can repair or replace tire. If compressor and sealant don't work (most likely), have vehicle flat-bedded 50-100 miles to a place that can repair the tire or has the tire in stock & can replace it.

I chose to up my AAA coverage so that they will pay for up to 100 miles flatbed and call it good with the non run flats.

Oh, the shop where I normally buy tires, get inspections, etc., had a real problem with my run flat tires. They sold me the new tires, and I brought the wheels with the run flats on them in so they could mount & balance the new Contis (snow tires & wheels were on the car at the time). I stopped back the next day, and they gave me:

1 - Wheel with a new Conti on it mounted & balanced
1 - Wheel with the run flat half on & half off
2 - Wheels with the original run flats on them

Said they couldn't get the run flats off the other wheels. I made an appointment at the BMW dealer, they had no problem finishing the job. Although it cost me $38 each to have them mounted & balanced at BMW.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #17
srschang
Rep
Drives: 2008 528Xi

I recently replaced the run flat Goodyear LS2's on my 2016 535 xi with with Conti Purecontact LS non-run flats. They seem quieter, but I last drove on the LS2's in November before the winter tires went on. I'm a bit concerned about not having a spare, but I guess it works like this -

With run flats - Lose air pressure, pull off expressway in some podunk town, and try to find someplace to replace the run flat. Probably can't do it. Have vehicle flat-bedded 50-100 miles to a place that has the run flat in stock & can replace it.

Without run flats - Lose air pressure, pull off to the shoulder of the expressway. Use compressor and sealant kit to try & re inflate tire. If that works, start driving to the nearest location that can repair or replace tire. If compressor and sealant don't work (most likely), have vehicle flat-bedded 50-100 miles to a place that can repair the tire or has the tire in stock & can replace it.

I chose to up my AAA coverage so that they will pay for up to 100 miles flatbed and call it good with the non run flats.

Oh, the shop where I normally buy tires, get inspections, etc., had a real problem with my run flat tires. They sold me the new tires, and I brought the wheels with the run flats on them in so they could mount & balance the new Contis (snow tires & wheels were on the car at the time). I stopped back the next day, and they gave me:

1 - Wheel with a new Conti on it mounted & balanced
1 - Wheel with the run flat half on & half off
2 - Wheels with the original run flats on them

Said they couldn't get the run flats off the other wheels. I made an appointment at the BMW dealer, they had no problem finishing the job. Although it cost me $38 each to have them mounted & balanced at BMW.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #18
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I really appreciate the assistance guys. If anybody has any tire recommendations, I'm all ears
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #19
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

On my 535i M-Sport with a 19" staggered set-up I went non-ROF with Michelin Pilot Super Sport's. I can't afford to lose the trunk space for a spare so I have a jack, compressor and a plug kit down in the cubby at the rear of the trunk. I figure the TPMS will warn me in plenty of time of a leak. The only catastrophic failure I've had wouldn't have happened had I known the pressure was low. The only thing that concerns me just a little; and I mean VERY little; would be a sidewall puncture. I've only had one of those that was completely my fault. My edger jumped out from the side of the garage and punctured the tire with one of its spikes.

After about 200 miles I'm quite satisfied with the PSS's.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #20
Bozman52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
I really appreciate the assistance guys. If anybody has any tire recommendations, I'm all ears
Oh boy, there are ENDLESS threads on this topic! It really comes down to what you use the car for, what the weather is like where you live, and what tradeoffs you're willing to make.

The first thing you should decide is if you want to run a different tire for winter vs summer. If so, this means you may opt for a higher performance tire for the summer. I chose to stick with a single tire year round (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S), but the rainy UK climate I live in mostly allows for this. I rarely get snow, so it's not pertinent for me to put winter tires on. Some will disagree, but this is a tradeoff I made. I drive a lot more carefully in the winter, as I know my tires are not made for winter weather. I went with the highest performance tire I could get, although it does perform very well in the wet. It just doesn't like really cold weather or snow, but to be fair, I've driven this car 100 miles during a snow storm that dropped about 6-8 inches and did just fine with these high performance "summer" tires.

I love my PS4S's, but they are a bit overkill for a 530d. These things come stock on Ferrari's and Porsche's! I was worried about them wearing out quickly, but I have about 15,000 miles on them and I'd say they have 40-50% tread left. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably save a few hundred dollars and get tires that are a step down from the PS4S.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #21
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
I've been really happy with Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position for several years now (on two of my previous cars too), and am about to get another set for my F10.

Excellent dry and wet grip, amazing comfort and noise levels but not so great thread life (just as advertised, so nothing to complain there), and also less expensive than Michelin equivalent tire - apparently ever so slightly inferior to it handling wise, with comparable thread life, I can live with that.

For winter tires, I cannot recommend Nokian Hakkapeliitta enough.
Appreciate 1