2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Helix Overdrive updates

12-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #23
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Your pharmaceutical example is a spurious analogy and you know it. There's no way you can compare the aftermarket car industry with a highly regulated industry. The FDA would never allow such a drug to come to market without enough clinical trials. Which is why the "small startup pharmaceutical company" do not exist. There is a reason why 99.9% of drugs are developed and owned by multi-billion dollar drug companies.

Stop saying Helix didn't test their product without any proof. There have been people who ran this product without issues. The thread linked by doubles has 2 people reporting vacuum pump cover issues, that's not a very representative sample size.

Helix is absolutely owning up to this issue, read the other thread. They've stated they're developing a bracket that eliminated the issue with torque and cantilever stresses. Read comment #34 as well, Helix is offering to replace the guy's OD for free due to idle noises. This isn't a company that doesn't stand behind it's product. They very well might offer the bracket for free, calm down and put your pitchfork down until you have more information. Yes, it kinda sucks that the billet part they offer right now is an additional charge, but that's pretty damn standard in the aftermarket scene.

I understand why Helix isn't offering to replace the vacuum pump covers for free. It opens up a huge can of worms if they do that now with such a small sample size. What happens if someone breaks their vacuum pump cover on their own, then buys the OD unit to force someone else to pay for the repairs by saying "oh it broke when I used your product". Unless the vacuum pump cover issues reach the proportions of early N63 issues, I don't think it's justified to call Helix out for not replacing the covers for free.
I was never mad about this... All I said in my initial post is that they should include the billet casing with the pump and that it is just bad business practice to charge people when you know your product is the cause of broken casing. Even if they did their testing but now they know that Helix is the cause of broken vacumm cover than they should provide that in the cost.

So you saying people going to buy 850 dollar Helix OD to get the casing vs just buying a 50 dollar casing? Are there even incidents of people breaking the case? The only time I think of someone breaking that is if they are replacing a fuel pump and at that point I think they already paid enough for a fuel pump and rather avoid paying 850 dollar vs 50 dollar for a casing.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #24
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
I was never mad about this... All I said in my initial post is that they should include the billet casing with the pump and that it is just bad business practice to charge people when you know your product is the cause of broken casing. Even if they did their testing but now they know that Helix is the cause of broken vacumm cover than they should provide that in the cost.
It seems disingenuous to claim that they knew their product is the cause of broken casings. They likely knew there was a risk of breaking, but that it doesn't always break, which is why they're offering it as an add-on item that's purchased separately. I mean, if they included the billet casing to begin with, they would have just charged $850 + the price of the casing anyhow as a base price lol

Quote:
So you saying people going to buy 850 dollar Helix OD to get the casing vs just buying a 50 dollar casing? Are there even incidents of people breaking the case? The only time I think of someone breaking that is if they are replacing a fuel pump and at that point I think they already paid enough for a fuel pump and rather avoid paying 850 dollar vs 50 dollar for a casing.
If they already wanted a Helix OD, why not? People have found ways to break everything lol. Who knows, maybe the people reporting vacuum pump cover issues with OD already had covers that were (unknown to anyone) prone to breaking versus other covers. The beauty of a cast part.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #25
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
This whole argument goes back to exactly why BMWDoubles is waiting for these things to be worked out. Because inherently there will be problems, things break, nothing is perfect and when you push something to 3 or 4x, of course, the next weakest link will break. It's unreasonable to think a small manufacturer could test this. What if BMW switched OEM providers mid-model, or what if the OEM provider switched a part or a casting method/material, what if there is a particular casting only on particular vin #'s that had this bad run? We have no idea... Do you know how long it would take and a reasonable sample size of cars they would have to run this on to make that testing adequate? WAY more than 15 cars, there are too many factors and many they don't know about.

To me, this is part of the fun of modifying your car... pushing original engineering and fixing problems, sharing the results and ultimately the companies fix the problem. It's a big challenge for me. That's why I am one of those guys who likes the build as much as the end product. If your expectation is as high as quality as OEM then go Dinan and be done with it.

Inherently as a tuner, you are always chasing the weakest link or bottleneck - to put that on the manufacturer of parts is unreasonable in this case.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 1
Unspec1295.00
      12-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #26
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Lol Dinan just charges more because of their warranty... Does not mean they make better quality product than others. But I am done arguing the point here. People will do as they wish lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 11:29 PM   #27
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
They should include the billet housing to avoid a death law suit or involuntary manslaughter case if someone can't brake.

God forbid the worst case scenario happens. I've been with friends on the track that have had near death accidents and they are freaked the fuck out for a while. If it actually happened your out of the game of life.

A driver accident vs manufactures are two different conversations. Now that we know it's on the manufacture-side they should do the right thing and include it in their offering. Raise the price if they have to but make it a mandatory install.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #28
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
And there ya go
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #29
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
And there ya go
Wonder if they're still going to develop that bracket? Reinforcing everything is great, but if you're able to remove the torque and cantilever stresses, that would help a lot in resolving the problem at it's root.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #30
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Wonder if they're still going to develop that bracket? Reinforcing everything is great, but if you're able to remove the torque and cantilever stresses, that would help a lot in resolving the problem at it's root.
I believe that was a different company developing it and it might still happen. But I am glad they owned up to it. I would buy the bracket as well just for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #31
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
good stuff.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #32
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I believe that was a different company developing it and it might still happen. But I am glad they owned up to it. I would buy the bracket as well just for peace of mind.
Definitely same company. He says spool replied to him.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=31
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #33
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=31
Alright they got till May to sort out all these issues. I want to put this in before summer start and run 100 percent E85. If rumors are true and I don't need lpfp stage 2 than I would like to revert back to factory pump, so I don't have to update the ekmp3 module.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #34
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=31
Alright they got till May to sort out all these issues. I want to put this in before summer start and run 100 percent E85. If rumors are true and I don't need lpfp stage 2 than I would like to revert back to factory pump, so I don't have to update the ekmp3 module.
No rumors, confirmed with Mission Performance, our lpfp are more than capable it's our hpfp that is the limiting factor.

I don't know the science on e85 but my understanding is we make more from a blend then we do 100% e85.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #35
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
No rumors, confirmed with Mission Performance, our lpfp are more than capable it's our hpfp that is the limiting factor.

I don't know the science on e85 but my understanding is we make more from a blend then we do 100% e85.
Thanks, this means I can revert back... I am just going to run 100 percent 85 since they say you can run up to 600whp, which is enough for this stock block plus no messing with figuring out the mixture all the damn time. Runs cooler and cleaner just mileage will be hurt.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #36
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
The back and forth with everyone here and other social bmw communities has made its way over to Spool Performance. Message received and they now include the housing and stabilization bracket for the drive! Mine arrived yesterday. Can't wait to get this installed!

They will be sending the data to MissionPerformance for final tuning. They said they have the data to tune out the rattle on cold start up. We'll see how that part goes.

Pretty excited about not having to put a meth tank in, PI hardware, trust that a hobs switch does its job. I just want to put fuel in and drive away letting the ecu do the rest.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #37
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
It has begun! Hold all calls my Saturday is booked!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #38
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Reinforced vacuum housing
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #39
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Did you get the filter too or just the OD?

Also, please let us know what type of gas mileage you get running straight e85.

Last edited by ziekxq; 01-25-2020 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:40 PM   #40
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you get the filter too or just the OD?

Also, please let us know what type of gas mileage you get running straight e85.
Just the OD and kept the stock filter in the hpfp. I should be able to make 550whp with this setup. With the 10 micron filter setup up to 700whp. One step at a time.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:17 PM   #41
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just the OD and kept the stock filter in the hpfp. I should be able to make 550whp with this setup. With the 10 micron filter setup up to 700whp. One step at a time.
Really the filter has that much restriction? I think if you already there wouldn't you want to just do that at the same time. The other thing is do you know how long before the filter needs to be washed?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:19 PM   #42
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Really the filter has that much restriction? I think if you already there wouldn't you want to just do that at the same time. The other thing is do you know how long before the filter needs to be washed?
I replaced my hpfp last year so the filter should be good. Plus I run Techron through my fuel every 2 months. I go through about a tank a week. New MPG is going to be laughable. Right now I squeeze about 16-17 mpg street, 22-23 highway. With this new setup I'm guessing 9-10 on the street and maybe 15-16 highway. We'll see.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 12:49 AM   #43
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
I replaced my hpfp last year so the filter should be good. Plus I run Techron through my fuel every 2 months. I go through about a tank a week. New MPG is going to be laughable. Right now I squeeze about 16-17 mpg street, 22-23 highway. With this new setup I'm guessing 9-10 on the street and maybe 15-16 highway. We'll see.
I am in the same boat with 93 oct I get about 16-17 mpg so it would be nice to know what I am getting into lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #44
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Wow super excited to see your reviews on this! You are a few steps ahead of me... thanks for working out all the kinks

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0