2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Noob BMW Owner: Wind up sound when driving forward/reverse

10-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
Johnny_Mozzarella
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i X Drive

Noob BMW Owner: Wind up sound when driving forward/reverse

Back Story: I'm a noob BMW owner. Purchase a BMW from a friend before he left the States.

Vehicle Data: 2013 BMW 528i, X-drive, All Wheel Drive, Turbo, 2.0L
VIN: WBAXH5C58DD107935

Folks - I typically drive a truck, so this car (cars in general) is very unfamiliar to me. I've been reading all the N20 engine horror stories about transmission sounds when accelerating, torgue converter problems, turbo line problems etc. I looked at almost every video I can find on the noises and BMW issues, etc. I think I have become a car hypochondriac.

Regardless, I have 150K on the odometer and I am swapping out parts regardless. (I have done new breaks, tie rods, wheel hubs both sides). Next is the timing chain, just because its at 150K and I Have that crappy Orange chain cover that breaks. Better safe than sorry.

Symptom: The symptom I am having is that the car makes a wind-up noise when accelerating, the higher the RPMs the higher pitch it becomes. The more load on the engine, i.e. climbing a hill, the more distinct it becomes. It sounds like same way in reverse (like when you back up fast in most vehicles). It also changes sound when the car bounces, like a bouncy wind-up hum.

Is this normal for a BMW? Lastly - The vehicle does not make this noise while idling or revving the engine. It only makes this wind-up noise while in gear and moving. I read that it could be the water pump failing...but this seems odd to me.

Thanks for the advise folks. I will try to keep sourcing more info, but if you could point me to videos or solutions, Ill check them out.

Peace.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i xDrive

Is there any way you can record it and post it to youtube and then send us a link? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about my car and every bit helps.
Appreciate 0