2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Head/Fog Light Updrade

01-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
QbanCgar
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Question Head/Fog Light Updrade

Hello all. I have a 2011 F10 535i & I wanted to upgrade my sad halogen fog lights to match my Xenon lights. Which I may think about upgrading those as well. I have several questions which I hope help me decide on which route I will go. So Option #1 I was thinking of upgrading my fogs to match my current stock head lights. Option would be going with LEDs for my head & fog lights. I'm curious to know which will give me a brighter look as I drive on a lot of back roads where it's either very dark or is prone to a lot of deer. What bulbs (ie H3, H7, 9007) would I need for my fogs & head lights? Also is their any coding issues I need to worry about?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
HizEternal
Rep
Drives: Jet Black F10 535XI

No coding issues but you will need canbus error cancellers to keep idrive from thinking the bulb is out every 10 minutes. They will work and function as normal even if the message comes up.

I did all of mine...fog lights and cornering lights are led now.

The fog lights with a bright led will give you more of a wider illumination. You'll be able to see to the sides better to assist you in seeing deer. I can remember correctly but I belive they are h7 or h9. One of them is the cornering lights and the other fog lights.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
QbanCgar
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HizEternal View Post
No coding issues but you will need canbus error cancellers to keep idrive from thinking the bulb is out every 10 minutes. They will work and function as normal even if the message comes up.

I did all of mine...fog lights and cornering lights are led now.

The fog lights with a bright led will give you more of a wider illumination. You'll be able to see to the sides better to assist you in seeing deer. I can remember correctly but I belive they are h7 or h9. One of them is the cornering lights and the other fog lights.
Cool thanks for the 411. I've used LEDs from OPT7 (https://www.opt-7.com/) in the past on my Dodge Magnum & I was very pleased. I was thinking of using them again, just was trying to figure if I wanted to go HID or LED.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Tasmanian
Tasmanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528Xi Tasman Green

Changed Front Fog Light H8 Bulbs With non=-LED Xenon's

Today...I changed out the dull fog lights with Sylvania's bright non-LED bulbs called H8 ZXE Xenon bulbs.

Noticable difference. I did not go the LED route on this car as these were less expensive and I knew they would fit easily and not cause any electrical warning codes.

Tasmanian
Appreciate 0