2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications '14 F10/N20 Throwing Codes After VCG Replacement

09-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
arowse85
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 528i

'14 F10/N20 Throwing Codes After VCG Replacement

Greetings everybody,

I have a 2014 F10 with an N20 and about 56K on the odometer. A few months back I started to notice a burning oil smell and smoke coming from under the hood, and what I found lead me to believe that the valve cover gasket was bad. I replaced it a few weeks ago (I'm not going to lie, it took me a long time to build up the confidence and/or stupidity to do the job myself), and I noticed a CEL and the engine malfunction/reduced power notification right away, however I drove it around for awhile and saw/smelled no signs of oil leakage. Not long after, I started noticing smoke again, though not nearly to the same extent as before. I had the codes run, and they came back with P054B (Cold Start B Camshaft Position Over-Retarded) and P13C9 (VANOS, exhaust: control fault, camshaft stuck). I'm wondering if perhaps I got some sensors mixed up or missed getting one plugged back in when I put the valve cover back on. From what I saw, I think the connectors that need to be pulled to get the valve cover off are all unique to prevent them from getting mixed up, so I'm hoping that I didn't goof anything else up in the process of replacing the VCG, but it wouldn't shock me. If this is a lesson for me to take repair/maintenance work to the dealership or a reputable shop from now on I'll take it as such, but I'd really like to be able to fix this issue without having to do that if anyone has any ideas where I went wrong and what I need to do to make it right.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 07:33 PM   #2
Swordsman
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i, 2017 X3, 2003 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by arowse85 View Post
Greetings everybody,

I have a 2014 F10 with an N20 and about 56K on the odometer. A few months back I started to notice a burning oil smell and smoke coming from under the hood, and what I found lead me to believe that the valve cover gasket was bad. I replaced it a few weeks ago (I'm not going to lie, it took me a long time to build up the confidence and/or stupidity to do the job myself), and I noticed a CEL and the engine malfunction/reduced power notification right away, however I drove it around for awhile and saw/smelled no signs of oil leakage. Not long after, I started noticing smoke again, though not nearly to the same extent as before. I had the codes run, and they came back with P054B (Cold Start B Camshaft Position Over-Retarded) and P13C9 (VANOS, exhaust: control fault, camshaft stuck). I'm wondering if perhaps I got some sensors mixed up or missed getting one plugged back in when I put the valve cover back on. From what I saw, I think the connectors that need to be pulled to get the valve cover off are all unique to prevent them from getting mixed up, so I'm hoping that I didn't goof anything else up in the process of replacing the VCG, but it wouldn't shock me. If this is a lesson for me to take repair/maintenance work to the dealership or a reputable shop from now on I'll take it as such, but I'd really like to be able to fix this issue without having to do that if anyone has any ideas where I went wrong and what I need to do to make it right.
Did you ever get this fixed? It seems a lot of us have this error after doing the timing chain replacement.
Appreciate 0